In relation to what?

I'll take a DR504, please.
what do I think? HELL YES.

Mine's a '75 DR103. It is a loud, CLEAN amp - no gain whatever to speak of, nor anything "fancy" like a reverb; just clear tone and solid power. In practice, this means that ANY effect or pedal or guitar I put through it comes across sounding EXACTLY as it was intended to, but very, very, earth-shudderingly loud - and it sounds as good on 3 as on 5 as on 10.

These days, as much as it pains me, it doesn't leave the studio often - too awesome, too expensive, and too irreplaceable to be hauled around to shitty bars in theft-prone neighborhoods. But mine still had the original 1975 Mullard power tubes in it, even after 4 national tours, countless local gigs, and years of weekly practices. Built like a mother****ing tank, reliable as all hell (in 15 years, it hasn't failed me once...amazing).

I haven't played the new ones - I hear that they're good, but I don't know. But if you have a chance to snag a vintage one, by all means, do it.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
what do I think? HELL YES.

Mine's a '75 DR103. It is a loud, CLEAN amp - no gain whatever to speak of, nor anything "fancy" like a reverb; just clear tone and solid power. In practice, this means that ANY effect or pedal or guitar I put through it comes across sounding EXACTLY as it was intended to, but very, very, earth-shudderingly loud - and it sounds as good on 3 as on 5 as on 10.

These days, as much as it pains me, it doesn't leave the studio often - too awesome, too expensive, and too irreplaceable to be hauled around to shitty bars in theft-prone neighborhoods. But mine still had the original 1975 Mullard power tubes in it, even after 4 national tours, countless local gigs, and years of weekly practices. Built like a mother****ing tank, reliable as all hell (in 15 years, it hasn't failed me once...amazing).

I haven't played the new ones - I hear that they're good, but I don't know. But if you have a chance to snag a vintage one, by all means, do it.

Cool, if you were to want a distorted channel would you just add a pedal??

do you think it would sound decent??
Quote by Jeffmo929

Yes it would.

IIRC, the Lead 50 has a master volume.
Well I can only imagine how fantasic it would be with a Fulltone OCD.

What stuff do you play?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
what amp are you looking at?

every hiwatt I've seen has a master volume. and the DR series at least has channels, and hi/lo gain inputs for each channel. but they DO have a lot of headroom.
Quote by Gabel
Well I can only imagine how fantasic it would be with a Fulltone OCD.

What stuff do you play?

alot of rock and metal stuff.....some blues and I dabble in Classical guitar
Quote by al112987
what amp are you looking at?

every hiwatt I've seen has a master volume. and the DR series at least has channels, and hi/lo gain inputs for each channel. but they DO have a lot of headroom.

I think it was the DR103...100 watts......I heard that it was a VERY clean amp
Quote by Jeffmo929
alot of rock and metal stuff.....some blues and I dabble in Classical guitar

I never played a Hiwatt, but I'm guessing that they don't do high gain stuff very well.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Jeffmo929

yeah...that's exactly what I do. I own around 15 different distortion boxes, as well as a couple compressors, eqs, a couple wahs, a tremulator, and a delay (no, I don't use them all at once!). My typical live setup consists of an MXR distortion plus, a ProCo Ratt, and this weird nameless orange distortion pedal I've had forever, all set up in series so's that I can switch between any of them from song to song (my guitars are SGs). All three sound way different, but all three sound excellent through the amp...I can move from mid-'60s fuzz to '80s metal to arena-rökk to pure noise effortlessly.

Most of the other pedals I use for recording...I do my main tracks using the setup above, but might then whip out a big muff or Vox or whatever for doubling/2nds. The consistent thing has always been the Hiwatt, ever since I got it...if I listen back to stuff I recorded before I got it (through a marshall, a peavey classic, and one or two other amps I've forgotten) and compare it to the stuff with the Hiwatt, I like the Hiwatt stuff better every time.

NOw, if I wanted more gain out of the Hiwatt, I could always change preamp tubes easily enough - it won't ever be capable of producing total noise or intense metal tones like I like on its own, though it would do "Live at Leeds". But I like the flexibility I get from having an amp that emphasizes clarity and tone...that way I can muck up the signal all kinds of other ways.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
the DR103 has a lot of headroom, but you can bridge the channels, turn up the preamp gain with the master volume, it's not a high gain amp by any stretch, but it can do the classic british crunch thing pretty well. It's not a gritty type of overdrive, it's a subtle type of crunch. If you want more gain, you'll want to look at a lower wattage model.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by Jeffmo929

Yes it would.

IIRC, the Lead 50 has a master volume.