Christmas is coming up, so I figure its a good time to leech money from people, and buy myself a nice effects pedal

But what I need to ask you is, what brands are reputable? and also what do the various pedals do? There's so many different options its kind of confusing.

If you want some sort of price range, then I guess around £70-£80 would be the most I could afford. Thanks a lot
take the advice in your sig, and save that money for a new amp

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Awaken
take the advice in your sig, and save that money for a new amp

This. It will do far more for your tone than any pedal.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
This. It will do far more for your tone than any pedal.

Hmm, I've been looking at a MG30DFX lately..

Is that any good?
Quote by Jay2007

Is that any good?

Not much improvement then your mg10. If you have about £80, save up another £30 ish and find yourself a second hand roland cube 30, that'll get you going good.
Quote by Jay2007

Is that any good?

It's basically the same amp, only louder, therefore it hurts your ears more.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Good cheap amps to look at:
Vox AD15VT or AD 30VT - hard to beat for what they cost. Extremely versatile and good sounding modeling amp.
Roland Cube 30 / Microcube - not as good as the Vox, but cheaper and still very nice. Has a main focus on metal.
Line6 Flextone - A little expensive, but if you don't mind buying used, look for one on ebay. A higher end modeling combo.
Ibanez Valbee - very small tube amp, only 5 watts and a 6.5" speaker, but sounds great. You can hear that the speaker is small though - not much bass response. But very tasteful overdrive. Very versatile, too, but not nearly as versatile as the above three.
Epiphone Valve Junior - tube amp, only 5 watts and only has little gain, gives you a nice vintage sound.
Blackheart amps, any kind - Good rock tone at an affordable price.