Page 1 of 2
Obviously there are a number of famous bass players that have sang lead vocals for their bands out there - including Paul McCartney, Sting, and Les Claypool. I'm actually wondering, of the community on THIS website, which of you bass players are the lead vocalist for your respective bands?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges associated with this?

Edit: I love how everyone is offering suggestions of other popular bands. I named 3 examples, I'm well aware there are many more. I just want to know about YOU guys, and YOUR bands please. Thanks!
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel
Last edited by TrainwreckX at Oct 29, 2008,
poll? I share lead vocals. it really depends on the song. I have more trouble when the vocals are aggressive or the bassline is difficult.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by TrainwreckX
Obviously there are a number of famous bass players that have sang lead vocals for their bands out there - including Paul McCartney, Sting, and Les Claypool. I'm actually wondering, of the community on THIS website, which of you bass players are the lead vocalist for your respective bands?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges associated with this?

mark hoppus, he is the lead vocalist in +44 and the co-lead vocalist in his ex-band; blink 182
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
When I play on my own I seem to be able to sing things like Blink 182 songs but nothing more difficult on the bass or lyrics. However I probably wouldn't sing in a band situation (lead or backing) as I a) have no clue if I sing 'well' b) Bass skills tend to suffer from it.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
As did Phil Lynott, but that's not what he's asking. He's asking who HERE plays bass and also does lead vocals.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
A few thrash/death bands,
Tom Araya (slayer), Jeff Becerra (possessed), Glen Benton (Deicide)
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
In my first band, I played bass and sang. We're at a hault because of conflicting schedules, but I really enjoyed it. It was about 6 full months when I started to sing and play, but I still was having problems locking in with the drums and singing the RIGHT lryics. I always seemed to forget my lyrics. It comes with practice. I hope this helps a bit.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
thefitz does. I would, if I had a band (or could sing. Or could play bass )
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I play bass and do the lead vocals, and my biggest challenge would be trying to sing with a grooving bass. Its just so F'n hard
Quote by PlayMadness

Isn't it a little big-headed to name yourself "God," TS?

no.

Quote by Simsimius
I love you TS.

Quote by Ganoosh

Any thread with that title is sure to deliver, and this one...well...it did.
Quote by gilmourish
tom araya plays bass and is the vocalist of slayer. . .

I love how everyone is offering suggestions of other popular bands. I named 3 examples, I'm well aware there are many more. I just want to know about YOU guys, and YOUR bands please. Thanks!
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel
Geeze people, we know other bass players sing, not what hes asking...

Cough...Lemmy...Cough.

On topic, I cant sing and play at all. Always end up ****ing them both up.
i want to, but i cant sing
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
i share lead vocals. it really just depends on the song/bassline. but beening in a jam based bands we don't do too much singing. so i can have fun on bass a lot.
I do sometimes, usually its our guitarist.

I know the thefitz does, the humanity might, perhaps Tam (anarkee) as well.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I do in my band. However I trade off with another vocalist. On occasion we will duet, but usually he takes a song, I take a song, he takes a song, etc,.

Works well.

Singing and playing bass at the same time is VERY hard at first depending on the ROLE of your bass line. If you following the guitar and can remember the melody it is easier, but if your playing something more free and abstract that different from the rhythm and melody of the drummer and guitarist, it is a lot harder.
DB Player
Resident singer/pentatonic wankmaster checking in
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by slaptasticdave
I do sometimes, usually its our guitarist.

I know the thefitz does, the humanity might, perhaps Tam (anarkee) as well.

might?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yup, I sing and play bass in my band, but I'm not the only singer, so not sure if that counts. What i do definately isn't "backup vocals" however.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
i used to, i don't find it that hard tbh. its a little harder with different techniques like slap, as you'd expect, but still for me pretty easy.
I do on occasion (I have what has been called a low alto voice) , but I prefer to just hold down the low end. We may end up doing some funk songs in the jam band, and since Mr. Tam has issues with playing drums and singing, I may end up singing more than I am used to. So here's your humour for the day:

Small woman, big bass, alto voice singing Ohio Player's "Love Rollercoaster".
i was back in my old band playing days.

the biggest challenge? keeping different rhythms going with your voice and your fingers :/

i STILL get thrown off sometimes. need more practice i guess xD
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I had a short stint as bassist/vox. It was before my first band officially formed, we did our school talent show, and we couldn't find a singer... so I just did both.

We did two songs. "Crazy Train" by Ozzy, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.

So... I officially have two songs on my bass+vox resumé. Impressive, I know.

But yeah, it is quite hard. Even on songs as easy as those. But practice makes it much much easier.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
When we cover pop-punk/emo songs I do

I'm just so damn bored playing the same thing over and over
and it helps keep the (less, uhh) informed as to part we are at

plus I just love screaming out words
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Damagecase9900
Geeze people, we know other bass players sing, not what hes asking...

Cough...Lemmy...Cough.

On topic, I cant sing and play at all. Always end up ****ing them both up.

lemmy can't sing, he tries...but its horrible..
I do the mick jones bits if we muck around and play the clash songs because I sing like him but otherwise I just do backings vocals.
Don't know much about it, but it seems like it would be hard, because the bass is alot about rhythm, and it seems like it would be hard to play and sing, keeping the vocals separate from the rhythm of the bass, but, I guess, there are a couple drummers who sing really well, so I guess it's just something you have to learn...
Quote by the humanity
might?

does?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I did for a while, I wanted to stop because i couldn't sing anything complicated and play anything on bass at the same time, or play bass interesting bass and sing at the same time, and it started to annoy me, because people thought i couldn't do anything but pound out root quarter/ eigth notes, so we got another singer and i now just sing backing occasianally.
I do in baritone ( ), and one of my mates sings while playing bass too.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Me and Spencer switch off. We both do clean vocals, and we both also switch off between screaming and whatnot. We're also very bass driven, so yeah. It's not hard once you get used to it, the difficult part is changing notes in vocals differently than on bass.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I do most of teh screaming in my band (go ahead and flame me *flameshield*) and play some pretty complicated basslines
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
woops nvm didn't know we couldnt list major bands
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Page 1 of 2