Hi there

I've got about £800-900 ($1300-1400) to spend and i havent been able to decide on what to get yet. I've considered a Gibson Sg standard, a Gibson Firebird studio , the fender J5 triple, and a Line 6 variax 700. But i was wondering if any of you have some other suggestions of makes/models to consider. Also any experiance or opinions on any of the guitars that i have considered would be appreciated.

I'm in a metal band, but out of that i play alot of other stuff so i want something that's versatile and varied in tone, not just something that can only do super distorted mayhem. Plus i've already got a guitar with a floyd rose so im looking for something without one.

Thanks
Try halo guitars. Go to their website, and you can create your own custom guitar. Choose pickups, bridge, pretty much everything. Their normal guitars cost about $500-$1,200. Then, if you want more, you can have them custom build a guitar for you. I would suggest taking a look at their website.
Quote by Bleak02
Hi there

I've got about £800-900 ($1300-1400) to spend and i havent been able to decide on what to get yet. I've considered a Gibson Sg standard, a Gibson Firebird studio , the fender J5 triple, and a Line 6 variax 700. But i was wondering if any of you have some other suggestions of makes/models to consider. Also any experiance or opinions on any of the guitars that i have considered would be appreciated.

I'm in a metal band, but out of that i play alot of other stuff so i want something that's versatile and varied in tone, not just something that can only do super distorted mayhem. Plus i've already got a guitar with a floyd rose so im looking for something without one.

Thanks

SG!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
So you already have a guitar for all the metal things?

Maybe look at a Fender American HSS Strat or a American Deluxe HSS Strat, they might tickle your fancy. Not to mention they are very versitile, and look cool aswell!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
So you already have a guitar for all the metal things?

Maybe look at a Fender American HSS Strat or a American Deluxe HSS Strat, they might tickle your fancy. Not to mention they are very versitile, and look cool aswell!

Yeah well i've got a high end BC rich but im a bit sick of its look..i still like it..but its kind of embarrasing. I want something that i can play onstage with my band but then play blues on at home. But ill check out the strats

The problem with SG's is that i want the natural burst colour and no one in the UK seems to have it in stock :/
The SG and the Firebird are nice choices, I don't know about the Fender and the Line6.

My suggestions:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_diablo_pro_nb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_renegade_pro_ofc_nb.htm

The first Diablo is the more versatile option, the Renegade is more straight forward. Both will do metal well and are good for various styles. Both are excellently built, though their looks are not for everyone. But I hope you are interested mainly in GOOD guitars, because the SHINY ones in that price range fall behind these two. They are simple and sound great. If you like the 'no unnecessary bullsh*t' aproach you'll like them.
If you had 1000 pounds I'd also suggest their Camarillo model, which is one of the best metal guitars I've ever played AND it's still versatile. It has dual humbuckers and coil-split, like the renegade.

Otherwise, see if you can find a Yamaha AES920. Should be pretty much exactly 900. It's an LP style guitar of extremely high quality, the sounds are typical for this sort of instrument, warm and bassy, great for nearly everything except for maybe funk. It's heavy as hell though.

EDIT: +1 to Fender HSS strat, though I'd go for an American Deluxe if possible, it is a good bit better and not that much more expensive.
Quote by TheQuailman

My suggestions:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_diablo_pro_nb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_renegade_pro_ofc_nb.htm

The first Diablo is the more versatile option, the Renegade is more straight forward. Both will do metal well and are good for various styles.
Otherwise, see if you can find a Yamaha AES920.

EDIT: +1 to Fender HSS strat, though I'd go for an American Deluxe if possible, it is a good bit better and not that much more expensive.

I am slighty cautious of the Gibsons cause of the 'playing for the name, not the guitar' claims.

However i am liking the Renegade, nice finish and it looks like it has a good quality build. Thanks for the advice
^ no, sorry.

is that the limit? another few hundred and you could probably get a vigier, which'd be cool. or a custom build (from e.g. legra, feline), again if you could gather together another few hundred.

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no, sorry.

is that the limit? another few hundred and you could probably get a vigier, which'd be cool. or a custom build (from e.g. legra, feline), again if you could gather together another few hundred.

what's your amp?

Well at the moment i've got about £850..hopefully soon it will up to £900. But i'm prepared to save for a bit longer if it pays off..getting a custom build would be great

I've got a Vox 30 watt valvetronix...in the future im looking to get something better (and louder ) but for now thats all i really need. Plus i want some better pedals but i plan to get a really nice guitar first. Why, do you think i should be looking to upgrade my amp first?
It usually effects your sound more if you get a new amp first. But if you do not need anything bigger now and are going to buy a new amp later on, that's good to hear. More power to you.

We ask these questions around here to make sure you don't have some sh*tty amp that'll sound bad with no matter what guitar.
Quote by TheQuailman
that's good to hear. More power to you.

Thanks

Quote by TheQuailman

We ask these questions around here to make sure you don't have some sh*tty amp that'll sound bad with no matter what guitar.

Yeah well i used to have one of those haha. Hiwatt 5 watt FTW

By the way, thanks for the tip on the Framus, im now seriously considering getting the Renegade or saving up a bit more for the Camarillo.
You're welcome.

Best is to try as many guitars as possible before buying anything. If you have no choice but to order a specific guitar, better get it from a place that has good return policies (thomann is good, you can give stuff back after a testing period of max. 30 days I believe). And yeah, the Camarillo is a real beast, gotta hear it to believe it.

Good luck, and whatever you choose, post some pics here, okay?
Quote by TheQuailman
It usually effects your sound more if you get a new amp first. But if you do not need anything bigger now and are going to buy a new amp later on, that's good to hear. More power to you.

exactly. if you're sure you'll get a nicer amp later, then by all means get a nice guitar now. The problem is when someone spends his/her life savings on a PRS private stock, and then you find out they have a marshall mg or similar, and they have no way to upgrade the amp... that just makes you feel sad...

I'm not sure how much over £850 you'd need to get to get a custom- when i got my legra around a year ago, around £1000 was needed (minimum- dependent on spec), but the prices have probably gone up a bit.

Certainly vigiers (really nice guitars) start at around the £1000 mark, which'd be worth considering (but again, whether or not a model which'd suit the stuff you play can be had for £1000, or whether it'd be quite a bit more, I'm not certain... ).

I haven't tried those framuses, unfortunately. I hear good things, they're made in germany so are probably decent at least. if you can try one, of course, that'd be the best thing to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Little late to the game on this one, but I have the Variax 700 and really like it. The fact I can go from acoustic to electric with the flick of a switch or the stomp of a pedal carries a bit of weight with me, The build quality is excellent and it has a pretty nice neck on it. having said that there are a few cons. You need additional equipment to make it really good such as a PA for acoustic models and a tube amp for electric models plus a good EQ.

My main setup is Variax to EQ to PA for acoustic then A/B Variax to POD XT Live to Valve Junior. There isn't anything I can't do with this setup. Variax comes with an a/b so you don't have to worry about that part. If you got the cash to spend go for it. There is some really good tone to had (some bad ones too), but the good far outweighs the bad.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Hi again guys. Finally got my new guitar
After trying a PRS standard 22 in a shop and loving it, i brought one for a much cheaper price from this website: http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/
Its ace, really clear sounds even under heavy distortion and really nice to play. Its exactly what i was looking for and im really happy with it here's some pics for you:

thanks for all the help
thanks!
yeah, i played it for 3 hours last night, and then tonight from when i got in till about 20 minutes ago
Its actually really inspiring, now i feel like all i want to do is practice and learn new stuff
excellent!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?