Okay guys, so i'm doing grade 8 guitar (rockschool) and i need some help with chosing a scale to use for the solo:

the tracks i need are:

-Fusion
-Bonzo
-Sampa samba

sorry i dont have the book infront of me so i cant give you the chords that i need to play over but as soon as i get home i will post them, in the mean time if anyone has allready done grade 8 and wishes to tell me then thanks in adavnce!!4

Aidan.
Sorry man, I'm in grade 28 now, so I don't remember all those beginner exercises.
Quote by Philbigtime
Sorry man, I'm in grade 28 now, so I don't remember all those beginner exercises.

lollipops..

im only at grade 6 =[ fair-doos though grade 8 ^^
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
Various dominant harmonic minor scales are a safe bet.
Once We Were Anarchists
Quote by Shecter78787
what is all this grade stuff? and how do i get a grade lol

First, you start by drinking a glass of water upside down. That's Grade 1. Next up is eating dog poop (not just licking, that's a total cop out). This is followed by a year in the desert. Then you have to submit to a cavity search performed by the the Boston Catholic Diocese, but that's pretty much just for fun. Then you can join the ranks of garde 3 students, as long as you have previously had sex with a goat.
Quote by Philbigtime
First, you start by drinking a glass of water upside down. That's Grade 1. Next up is eating dog poop (not just licking, that's a total cop out). This is followed by a year in the desert. Then you have to submit to a cavity search performed by the the Boston Catholic Diocese, but that's pretty much just for fun. Then you can join the ranks of garde 3 students, as long as you have previously had sex with a goat.

Epic Fail.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

guise whats the criteria for normal grade 8? sorry to highjack thread.

to TS try a mixolydian mode
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
-Fusion f# pentatonic minor/f# dorian )
-Bonzo (a mixolydian works well as does a blues )
-Sampa samba (bars 1-3 c natural minor bar 4 g7#5 arpeggio or g whole tone scale,
repeat for 8 bars then d dorian for 2 bars and Db lydian for two bars )
please let me know if this was useful .
id love to hear your solo with it !
my friend showed me a sheet with all the grade 8 scales and they were just the modes.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ibanez1511
-Fusion f# pentatonic minor/f# dorian )
-Bonzo (a mixolydian works well as does a blues )
-Sampa samba (bars 1-3 c natural minor bar 4 g7#5 arpeggio or g whole tone scale,
repeat for 8 bars then d dorian for 2 bars and Db lydian for two bars )
please let me know if this was useful .
id love to hear your solo with it !

Thanks for the only real answer i got, i'll get to work on them
If you're going to pass grade 8, shouldn't you be able to figure it out by ourself? I mean, if you know what you have to solo over before even sitting the exam, you could figure it out by yourself - the rockschool grades don't seem to be rocket science.
^ yeah, part of the syllabus is actually understanding scale forumlae and how to use them...

So TS, I advise you speak to your teacher if you have one, and if not, start with the theory links in my sig.
I know theory geez thanks, im doing grade 5 at it. i allready had an idea just i wanted to get other peoples points of view.