Hey.
Im going to be playing for a band-thing.
I need to know what single notes I can play while the other guitarist plays chords.
for example: If the guitarist plays an E chord, what can I play as single notes to accompany that to sound good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf62EKwAhZ8

there's a video that is doing this and gives some instructions for certain chords, but I want to be able to find out the tabs for all of the chords, or all that I'll be needing.

I dunno if there's a name for them.

I want to know if there's a site I can go on that will show the single I can play while my bud is strumming the whole chord.
Thank you so much if you comment this.

I don't know if this is in the right section, and I'm kinda nooby, so sorry.
I just have an electric, and that's what I'll be playing the single notes on.
well u can play any note in the chord he is strumming or notes out of that scale or you could arpeggiate the chord witch is an easy way so an e chord you could just arpeggiate e-g-b and a a-c-e and so on and so forth

and holy shit that video is retarted
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You could cheat, and just play what he's playing as octaves. Pop-punk guitarists do it, and hardly anybody criticizes them...
I find it hard to believe that you know ZERO theory. Just play something out of the scale.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by Matt Doreen
You could cheat, and just play what he's playing as octaves. Pop-punk guitarists do it, and hardly anybody criticizes them...

WRONG! I CRITICIZE THEM!

But, TS, go get a book on musical theory and the modes. Trust me, if it's a good book, it'll be the best investment you ever make towards your guitar playing. You can prolly get one for $20.
You're gonna have to do quite a lot of theory. It isn't that easy to say what notes to play for each chord. It depends on the key and stuff like that and it's more difficult when it gets to complex chords.

But the quickest thing to do is learn to learn chord triads, which are the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the scale of the chord the other guitarist is playing. So if hes playing an Em chord, the 1st note is E, the 3rd is G and the 5th is B. You should be safe on most stuff with that.
Quote by andy_thomas
I find it hard to believe that you know ZERO theory. Just play something out of the scale.

That doesn't really work less he knows wat scale to play over wat chord and for wat purpose he's doin it, etc. So, he needs to learn theory--all theory. He needs to be able to fall asleep and dream theory.
Quote by Matt Doreen

Kinda bullshit, you get "LOLOLZ EMO listen to teh BROOTAL metalz n00b" aimed at pop punk guitarists.
Quote by jammyninja
Kinda bullshit, you get "LOLOLZ EMO listen to teh BROOTAL metalz n00b" aimed at pop punk guitarists.

Sarcasm...

Seriously.