I'm having a mental block here, looking at an outro riff to sultans of swing. Its just a repeated minor penatonic, but im damned if I can work out an effective fingering for it...
p p p
10-13-10 10-13-10 10-13-10
10 10

Im using finger 1 for both notes on the tenth fret (D and A), but it sounds awful at any speed higher than turtle... is it just poor technique, and if so, what would improve it?

Cheers

EDIT - The tab doesnt come up right on the forum, but I'm hoping it kinda makes sense? It should be D, E, D, A, D, E, D, A
Ibanez RG2570
Laney LV300
Behringer X V-amp
Ibanez Auto-Wah
Cheap acoustic (the joy of Lorenzo guitars!)
Last edited by Bill Turnip at Oct 29, 2008,
Mark Knopfler played with his fingers. NO PICK! That's why it sounds terrible, man. So lose your pick and use your fingers only.
Quote by Bill Turnip
I'm having a mental block here, looking at an outro riff to sultans of swing. Its just a repeated minor penatonic, but im damned if I can work out an effective fingering for it...
p p p
10 10

Im using finger 1 for both notes on the tenth fret (D and A), but it sounds awful at any speed higher than turtle... is it just poor technique, and if so, what would improve it?

Cheers

EDIT - The tab doesnt come up right on the forum, but I'm hoping it kinda makes sense? It should be D, E, D, A, D, E, D, A

Just practice, it's a fiddly riff and it's going to take time to get it up to speed.

Also, like people have said it's fingerpicked. The left hand fingering is easy and what you're already doing is fine, but you should be using your thumb to pick the B string and a finger to pick the E.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im talking about fretting the notes...I know its stupid but i just cant get it, could it just be cold october hands? (Not that I'm looking for an excuse...)
Ibanez RG2570
Laney LV300
Behringer X V-amp
Ibanez Auto-Wah
Cheap acoustic (the joy of Lorenzo guitars!)
Quote by Bill Turnip

p p p
10 10

I'd fret both strings at the tenth fret with my first finger by bending the tip backwards, and my third finger for the hammer-ons.

I know not everyone can do this, but that's probably how what's-his-face does it.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Bill Turnip

p p p
10 10

Cheers

Use the code button to get the tab looking better. You can find it under the color drop down menu in the advanced options and it has a # symbol. And be sure to preview it first to make sure it all lines up like you want.

I think your fingering is right. What exactly makes it sound bad? Are your notes blurring together? You have to roll your index finger slightly to be sure only one note is sounding at a time. Is it the pull off that sounds bad? How are your pull offs in other songs? Is your pull off technique sound? Just play it however slow you need to play it in order to make it sound good and gradually increase the tempo. You will get better with practice. Oh and it could be the cold October. Where I am though it's a beautiful spring morning. **** Yeah!!
Si