i was on a backing track site and it was playing a chord progression of a d e and said the suggested scale to play would be a mixolydian, but wouldnt the g# in the e chord sound bad with an a mixolydian scale. this was always something i never really understood.

if you want to see it, it is at:
http://www.jamcenter.com/jammachinea.html
click on major
It's a I-IV-V and they want to keep the major sound but still have something kinda blues so they don't suggest a minor scale (like blues scale, even though it's a bluesy progression).

So really, yeah emphasizing the G natural over the G# would be bad so don't do that but for the other chords it'd be fine.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
A C# E
D F# A
E G# B

A Mixolydian mode: A B C# D E F# G
My suggestion is, just don't use the G# when you're playing over that chord. And if you're staying strictly mixolydian, why would you anyways. I usually utilize that modal note (G) would be over the tonic chord.

That jam track is a bit primitive imo, almost always when you're playing mixolydian, the tonic chord should be made some kind of dominant chord (7th, etc.) to bring out the mixolydian tonality. Also, maybe whoever made this jam track meant that you could mix both major and mixolydian scales over certain chords to your own liking.

I hope I'm right in saying this. I haven't tried it yet. Have you tried it? How does it sound?
Use Ionian

/thread
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by ac/guns n zep
iwouldnt the g# in the e chord sound bad with an a mixolydian scale. this was always something i never really understood.

Not necessarily. I've seen major and minor thirds mixed around all the time with good effect. It's all in the tasteful application of an idea.

Even with all the theory in the world when it comes to playing (especially improvising) there is only one rule. If it sounds good it is good.
Si