HEEELLLLLOOO PIT!!!

I apologize in advance if this post has been done before.

I tend to have like 2 hours worth of down time at work per day (don't be jealous) and I was wondering if there were any hand exercises I could do (particularly the left hand) to train when I don't have my axe handy. Any ideas?

BTW i already ordered this thingy (http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/a33b/) and I generally use the online aural trainers and study up on theory but I really want to improve my left hand speed.

Thanks!!!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
buy a shred neck
Member #24 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join
if you work on a computer at work, tap your left hand against the side of it very hard. you hand will hurt, but it will get faster response and be able to hit every note you play
I'm Steve
Actually, you're doing it kinda wrong, the exercising tool you should use works by pressing down with the fingers, not stretching them outwards. That is, if you want to develop strength fast. You need a gripmaster or summing like that.
Just ordered a grip master, and I hadn't thought of a Ukulele... keep it coming pit!!! Good stuff!

Go pick up one of those cheap 1/2 scale ibanez travel guitars.

Problem solved.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
That hand thing won't work . Speed comes from accuracy not muscles. It will only increase endurance, but still ur right hand will need the most; since ur picking hand is the driving force.

Here's a little secret for you. Everyone is already a fast player; they just need to set the link between brains and muscles (muscle memory in this case, the human body is super amazing).

Your right hand is another story. everytime u go from a down to an up-pick you need too stop and accelerate fast. This costs energy; energy needs to be absorbed; Energy gets absorbed by muscles.

You should get a right hand thing cause there's where the most speed is drawn for musclepower.

IF you dont'believe me check it out for urself. Why do u think people can generally do "fast"tapping runs within a week. Or why are the fastest runs legato runs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Travel guitar MIGHT work, depends how much noise you can make really....
grip master and ukulele are pretty solid though
Put your fingertips on your table or your leg. Always keep your thumb on the surface! Then start lifting one or two of your fingers AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE whilst keeping the other fingers on the surface. Some patterns I use are: 1,3,2,4,4,2,3,1 1+3,2+4 1,4,2,3,3,2,4,1, with 1 being your index finger, 2 your middle finger, etc. As you keep doing this for a while you feel your muscles getting a bit tired. Keep going! This is what makes your finger-brain coordination better.
------------------
Last edited by Mky at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by Novacane...

Just do what this guy does.......

lol'd, almost fell out of chair!!!

Quote by xxdarrenxx
That hand thing won't work . Speed comes from accuracy not muscles. It will only increase endurance, but still ur right hand will need the most; since ur picking hand is the driving force.

Here's a little secret for you. Everyone is already a fast player; they just need to set the link between brains and muscles (muscle memory in this case, the human body is super amazing).

Your right hand is another story. everytime u go from a down to an up-pick you need too stop and accelerate fast. This costs energy; energy needs to be absorbed; Energy gets absorbed by muscles.

You should get a right hand thing cause there's the most speed.

IF you dont'believe me check it out for urself. Why do u think people can generally do "fast"tapping runs within a week.

Forget my last post, what he said
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You should get a right hand thing cause there's the most speed.

IF you dont'believe me check it out for urself. Why do u think people can generally do "fast"tapping runs within a week.

Noted, but I tend to practice with my right hand more and its a few steps ahead of my left. Thanks for the input!!! Next check I'm going to grab a shred neck, I think thats my best bet. Thanks pit!

Quote by mczack
Forget my last post, what he said

Yes; on top of that try play random shit with ur left hand as fast as possible (don't think about any accuracy) do this for a few minutes then take a break of 5. After 5 minutes go as fast as u can as if ur life depends on it. You will be amazed at how fast ur fingers can move. (though it will be super sloppy; just explaining the truth in left hand speed).

The human reflexes are so fast u won't believe.

I mean legato (or any left hand playing)is basically same movement as typing on a keyboard (also same power needed I think). And i bet you can type as fast as ur favourite guitarist can play legato.

Because you typed for (assumingly) half ur life

I mean if you go by the theory speed = muscles. And the same (muscle) / force apllies for typing.

Then michael angelo batio would be the fastest typewriter-writer in history, which i doubt.

Accuracy is the keyword ;-)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 29, 2008,
i can type like 30 wpm, my favorite legato player (Satch) can only do probably 20

me > Joe Satriani when it comes to typing
I'm Steve
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
i can type like 30 wpm, my favorite legato player (Satch) can only do probably 20

me > Joe Satriani when it comes to typing

Well I can tell you that if u spend all the time you spent in the pit typing comments on guitar; you'd be faster then satriani.

NO!!! haha

You use 10 fingers he uses 5 so u actualy 5 ?notes? per minute slower.

No he uses 4 and u 8 (thumbs fail)

But ye you have enough muscles to play as fast as him. You just need the accuracy.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Play air guitar with only your left hand. You get looks, but hey. It's the price you have to pay for being that cool.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

1 more thing; now i think of it you can use the gripmaster it will keep ur hand fit.

Use grip master for left hand and fap with right at same time 2 hours a day. And amaze us with ur guitar playing.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well I can tell you that if u spend all the time you spent in the pit typing comments on guitar; you'd be faster then satriani.

NO!!! haha

You use 10 fingers he uses 5 so u actualy 5 ?notes? per minute slower.

No he uses 4 and u 8 (thumbs fail)

But ye you have enough muscles to play as fast as him. You just need the accuracy.

thats where you are wrong. i only use my index fingers.
I'm Steve
I'd actually recommend not just buying a "Shredneck" practice device...

But modifying an actual neck so strings can stay on without a body....

Then get slightly higher tension strings on it... After using this for long periods of time, playing your normal guitar will seem like a ****ing breeze.
im shocked, only 2 fap jokes and nothing about rape?

the pits going to the dogs
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
im shocked, only 2 fap jokes and nothing about rape?

the pits going to the dogs

or growing up slowly
I'm Steve
I used to practice fingering during math. Take your calculator and pick a pattern of numbers (Ex: 15951595...) Do that over and over again with one hand
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
I used to practice fingering during math. Take your calculator and pick a pattern of numbers (Ex: 15951595...) Do that over and over again with one hand

You kinda walked into a hole with that one...
Quote by roshjosh
I'd actually recommend not just buying a "Shredneck" practice device...

But modifying an actual neck so strings can stay on without a body....

Then get slightly higher tension strings on it... After using this for long periods of time, playing your normal guitar will seem like a ****ing breeze.

Nice, my SG is falling apart I could modify the neck and re-string. Good tip!!!

Quote by Novacane...
*pic*

Just do what this guy does.......

you mean looking like a wanker will make me a better guitarist!?

why didnt the pit tell me before!?
Quote by Ktool The Girth
I have my moms car so i park in the garage cuz thats where her car goes.
There's mental musical practice you can do besides the physical aspect of guitar playing. You can train yourself to think quicker in spelling out chords and analyze harmonic progressions, or train your ears better.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You should get a right hand thing cause there's where the most speed is drawn for musclepower.

IF you dont'believe me check it out for urself. Why do u think people can generally do "fast"tapping runs within a week. Or why are the fastest runs legato runs.

Actually, I find myself playing alternate picked scale runs faster than legato but I can definitely play faster with legato with a wider range of other licks and stuff.
Penis... Nuff' said.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by shredmeiser101

I did this.
Baby, can you dig your man?
He's a righteous man,
Baby, can you dig your man?

- Larry Underwood
Everybody try this

flatten your hands on the table palms down, life middle finger and thumb together, then index and ring fingers. GREAT exercise i assure you for finger independence.
Quote by Mezzo4te
Everybody try this

flatten your hands on the table palms down, life middle finger and thumb together, then index and ring fingers. GREAT exercise i assure you for finger independence.

also, put your and down and tap out rhythms with your different fingers.

ex: 1 3 2 4 (1=index, 4=pinky)

start slow and gradually see if you can get really fast. I do this all day in school.