ive been looking at the fender hot rod series mainly the blues jr as a new amp. im getting tired of lugging my marshall stack around to practices and what not so i want to get a small combo for when im not giging.
ive been looking at the hot rod series mainly because their cheaper and their tube, which is what i want, and ive heard good things about them, but i noticed that they have a solid state rectifier. what does this mean? its a hybrid?
i would also like to know if, if i were to hook an A-B pedal up to this would it be loud enough for small to med sized gigs? most people would say yes i think, but i just want to put out there that we play loud, like as loud as possible without over doing it.
but anyway thanks in advance for the help

edit: no my marshall isnt an mg.
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Um depends how loud you're playing, but if it's cranked you ought to be alright, if not then they're probably micing it.

The rectifier is not part of the signal path, so it is an all tube amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Your Marshall, i'm pretty sure, has a Solid State rectifier. So it's a good thing, rectos are either tube/ss and most are ss.

It's probably a bit on the quiet side for you. But I dunno what tones you're after...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i got a blues jr., great tone, i play in a fairly loud band (nothing like heavy metal) but say loud version of chili peppers, and it keeps up perfectly fine, and can play clean without a problem. If you really play loud, check out the hot rod devilles, but I really like my blues jr. and when we get to playing bigger places than bars, ill just mic it to keep the tone
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by gregs1020
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/894720018.html Hot rod deville, 60 watts, $400.
Depending on howmuch clean headroom you want. The BJr is a good little amp but may not be enough for what your doing. You will have to crank one and see what you think.

I have a blues junior and it's a fantastic amp but it doesn't have masses of clean headroom however it handles small gigs well. When cranked though it gets loud.

x
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
I have a blues junior and it's a fantastic amp but it doesn't have masses of clean headroom however it handles small gigs well. When cranked though it gets loud.

x

Me too. By the ts's post I got the impression he may play pretty loud though which is why I posted it. No Bjr's on PIT's clist.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ive got the deluxe and it is FREAKING AMAZING...except for the drive channel...i have to say im truely not impressed with it, but clean channel makes it all worth it. personally, id get the higher wattage. it could definitely handle a small gig.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
ok, thanks. is the difference between ss and tube rectos as big a difference between ss and tube amps? and what kind of amps have tube rectos? just so i can get an idea of the tone difference
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Tube rectos tend to sag and have a slower attack, solid state rectos are tighter and have a faster attack. I wouldn't buy an amp based on whether it was tube or ss rectified, it's honestly not that important.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not