So for my junior year of college I am thinking about studying abroad and this university interest me. I'm guessing that some of you are probably familiar with the Glasgow area, or even this university. How is the night life around the university, I've also heard that it is very close to the Celtic and Rangers football stadiums. Let me know what everyone that has knowledge of the area thinks.
I heard that if you go out alone at night, a haggis will come and claw your eyes out.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I heard that if you go out alone at night, a haggis will come and claw your eyes out.

im actually at my 3rd year at strathy doing accounts...

any specific questions u would like to ask?

nightlife here is pretty good. i assume u would b staying in the student halls... i would try 2 help but i still live at home. much cheaper for me!

and its not thaaat close to the football stadiums... just like a train ride away.
Strathclyde uni has a decent location just out of the center of town, although the campus is quite spread out.

It's not particularly close to either Parkhead (Celtic) or Ibrox (Rangers), You pretty much need to take the tube/a bus to either of them from the town.
it's not that close to either stadiums.

The nightlife in glasgow generally is great (or what i've seen of it thus far), though I don't know what strathclydes unions are like
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
it's not that close to either stadiums.

The nightlife in glasgow generally is great (or what i've seen of it thus far), though I don't know what strathclydes unions are like
It's only got one (lol) but it's pretty decent, if only for the friggin massive pool hall.
We tried to go, but they don't let you in if you're under 18 and not a strath student

lol
Quote by Biatch
im actually at my 3rd year at strathy doing accounts...

any specific questions u would like to ask?

nightlife here is pretty good. i assume u would b staying in the student halls... i would try 2 help but i still live at home. much cheaper for me!

and its not thaaat close to the football stadiums... just like a train ride away.

Yes I would be staying somewhere in the student halls. I guess whoever told me the thing about the stadiums being close to the university must have been crazy, but a train ride isn't that bad, American football is the only thing i'm close to here and its only because of the college town.

I'll be taking Electronic engineering classes so if you know anything about those, or know how good the engineering school is overall, anything in that subject would be helpful. How expensive are the trains,buses etc? How close are the student halls to the university. I understand the the university is basically in the city center. What is the drinking age?
The most expensive one way fare on a bus is 1.50, that takes you as far as the bus goes.
I don't know where the halls are, sorry
drinking age is 18
Quote by XgamerGt04
Yes I would be staying somewhere in the student halls. I guess whoever told me the thing about the stadiums being close to the university must have been crazy, but a train ride isn't that bad, American football is the only thing i'm close to here and its only because of the college town.

I'll be taking Electronic engineering classes so if you know anything about those, or know how good the engineering school is overall, anything in that subject would be helpful. How expensive are the trains,buses etc? How close are the student halls to the university. I understand the the university is basically in the city center. What is the drinking age?

I've got some friends there doing EE and they love it. I love Glasgow and the nightlife is fantastic. The student halls are close enough to the university and are in the city center. Public transport is frequent but expensive, as it is all over Britain but you won't really need to get a train or bus much.

18 is the drinking age in Scotland. I'm currently at university in Scotland (though not in Glasgow) and there are a lot of jya/jsa's from America and the like and in general they go a bit mad with the drinking! In a good way of course.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet
I've got some friends there doing EE and they love it. I love Glasgow and the nightlife is fantastic. The student halls are close enough to the university and are in the city center. Public transport is frequent but expensive, as it is all over Britain but you won't really need to get a train or bus much.

18 is the drinking age in Scotland. I'm currently at university in Scotland (though not in Glasgow) and there are a lot of jya/jsa's from America and the like and in general they go a bit mad with the drinking! In a good way of course.

Sounds good. My university used to be one of the top party schools in the USA, so we get enough of it.
It's completely different. You can go out on the town and get in everywhere, completely free from police/uni reprisals for being underage.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by XgamerGt04

hey again.

if ur at strathy, then the student halls would b right nxt to the uni.. so of my mates wake up 15 minutes before they get into the lecture!

i got some friends doing EE classes... dont know much myself but i hear its pretty good. better than Glasgow uni's i believe? hmm.

if ur staying in the student halls then u dont really need buses/trains as everything is in town i guess...

and drinkin age is 18! clubs here r good. im normally out once or twice a week.. depends what music ur into? im into indie stuff so its normally the ABC for me...
If your over 18 Glasgow is a laugh and a Half
Loads of gigs on at the end of the week/weekends, ABC, garage, cathouse, Ivory Blacks, Soundhaus ect.........
And all the Uni's/colleges are all in the center of town so there are loads of studant nights on.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by XgamerGt04

My friend's dad is a prof of EE at strathclyde, and that's what/where I'll probably end up doing my uni (that or Edinburgh), Glasgow's a great city.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Biatch
hey again.

if ur at strathy, then the student halls would b right nxt to the uni.. so of my mates wake up 15 minutes before they get into the lecture!

i got some friends doing EE classes... dont know much myself but i hear its pretty good. better than Glasgow uni's i believe? hmm.

if ur staying in the student halls then u dont really need buses/trains as everything is in town i guess...

and drinkin age is 18! clubs here r good. im normally out once or twice a week.. depends what music ur into? im into indie stuff so its normally the ABC for me...

Sounds sorta like the campus here then as far as proximity. I know that the one thing I look forward to is going to a few of the football games. Do you spend multiple days in class, or is it like a one day lecture, a tutor session and a practical? Also what are the prospects of getting a job while there? The university gives some ideas of how much money will be needed and I may need to be able to make a bit of money.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Sounds sorta like the campus here then as far as proximity. I know that the one thing I look forward to is going to a few of the football games. Do you spend multiple days in class, or is it like a one day lecture, a tutor session and a practical? Also what are the prospects of getting a job while there? The university gives some ideas of how much money will be needed and I may need to be able to make a bit of money.

football games eh. tbh i dont know that much bout football but basically Rangers and Celtic are the big teams round here (fights are funny).

To get to the stadiums u just take the tube which is like 2 quid.

Since im doing Accounts, i dont know whether its the same with EE. This year i have 5 classes, spread around the week. So some days im in at noon, and other days im in at 9am. Some days theres even a 4 hour break between lectures.. which is alright if you go to the union and stuff and play pool etc.

And again job prospects im not too sure about with EE... studying to be an accountant myself, even during the credit crunch ppl are always gonna need accountants! haha.

if u have any more questions then again ill try help.