And I've only got £300. Well, I could maybe go slightly over but that's about it. It's for Christmas, you see, and I need an amp for my band. I'm a very eccentric person when it comes to music styles, I love most things from metalcore such as Killswitch Engage, All That Remains and Atreyu, absolutely adore Muse, and on the softer spectrum I love playing blues and have covered Flight of the Conchords before.

The interesting part is that my birthday is one month later, so what I was thinking, was that I could get the head for Christmas and the cab for my birthday. Of course, this'd leave me with a month's wait until I got it but there's no other way. Perhaps I could strike an offer with my mum: "lemme have it early and I'll have nothing for my birthday" or whatnot.

So: it must be able to handle high-gain, in your face metal. Such as Killswitch Engage, where the palm mutes chug and the pinch harmonics sing. But it needs to have a good clean channel too, preferably with shimmering tone and a reverb effect. All for £300, I know, it'll be difficult. Not impossible though, surely...

I play an Epiphone SG G-400 guitar and a Hamer XT which is pretty much a PRS. The Hamer is better for cleans, but manages metal surprisingly well, and the SG - I've gotta say - can do damn well anything. So that's not an issue just now.

I've been recommended the Orange Tiny Terror but also warned about it by a VERY trusted friend, it can't handle metal and has no decent tone controls which is all true. I've seen the Epiphone Socal which seems good, £360 for a head and 4x12 cab seems too good to be true. However, I couldn't crank a 25/50 watt amp up in a practice all, which means that I wouldn't get that proper valve tone which I crave... I don't know what to do. ASSIST!

tl;dr version: £300, versatile amp with good gain, go.
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

I personally like the So Cal, but have not played a TT.

Also: What's your max budget? A Laney would probably be your best bet.
The amp in my sig, Traynor YCV40. It's about 700 US, so similar price. The 20 watt is like 600 here, so thats probably closer.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Have a look at so bugeras, i hear good things about them for metal?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
theoretic music has a TT he'll be able to tell you more about it it he shows up.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ill start with the usuals... Used Peavey Ultra, Triple and 5150....

Someone posted up a clip of a TT doing metal but I forgot where it was, it was recently too..

I saw that clip too, sounded pretty good for it being a 15 watt classic rock oriented head.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I saw that clip too, sounded pretty good for it being a 15 watt classic rock oriented head.

Yup, it could get the job done if your in a pinch or dont play metal exclusively. Best one yet was the Unkown Hinson on a Vox of all things, one of the best chugs I have heard lol
Maybe you're thinking about Rob Chappers video? That man is awesome.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

This?

He uses a pedal btw. But still, I'm gonna check out these other amps, thanks a lot guys.

Keep them coming!

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

As for the Bugera, are you sure I would get the tone I desire at low volume? It's a freakin' 120 watt combo, man! And what about the cleans?

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Bugera's can be a bit fizzy at lower volumes, but then again so can a 5150 without a re-tube. Smoothest at low volumes I have found is the Ultra and Triple on a budget of coarse .
You could get a peavey valveking 112 and digitech bad monkey for around 300.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cBBdhXIenR0
This guy uses a valveking with a tubescreamer (very similar but more expensive than the bad monkey).

Bugeras would also be good for you but there a bit over 300 and there are rumours of poor reliability.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
^take that to heart, he owns one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well I should've specified before, sorry.

This amp will be used for bedroom practise, band rehearsals, recording sessions and hopefully small gigs. I watched that video, for £350 with a footswitch, it seems very good. I could sell my Digitech Whammy which I don't use much anymore for £100, and there you go... is it worth the money? (The Bugera 6260-212, that is :P) Obviously I couldn't try it out, but I could send it back if it was faulty.

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

You might be better off getting a Bugera 6262 or perhaps one of the 333 models. If you're looking for versatility, the Clean and Lead channels on the 6260 share the same EQ, which means you can't set the tones independent of each other. Although, if you were looking into a Tiny Terror then having two channels alone might actually exceed your expectations

If you're still looking to get a head for Christmas and a cab for your birthday, check out GAK (www.gak.co.uk), they have the cheapest Bugeras I've seen so far, and they do free shipping! They also do the combos, although I can't find the 6260, just the other three.

How much will you have to spend on a cab, just out of curiosity?
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Seems like your in a similer situation to me.

Peavey Triple XXX probably the perfect thing imo - but hard to find one used for £300

next best thing Bugera 333XL, but would be loud for bedroom practise and an attunator costs alot.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
Seems like your in a similer situation to me.

Peavey Triple XXX probably the perfect thing imo - but hard to find one used for £300

next best thing Bugera 333XL, but would be loud for bedroom practise and an attunator costs alot.

And thats why you get an Ultra... Same amp at about half the cost...

Come on, ya know you want it....
If you're seriously considering bugera, I reccomend the 333xl over the 6262 because it has three channels with independent eqs and it's not too expensive new ($700). I just tried one out today, and when I get paid on friday I'm driving up to sam ash to get one.
In england the 6260/2 is a fair bit cheaper than the 333s.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Stay far away from Valvekings when it comes to metal especially modern metal.

Why aren't they good (with a bad monkey)?

EDIT: Just heard the most incredible clips of a bugera 6260 on netmusicians.org
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Last edited by rockdan101 at Oct 30, 2008,
Flextone, there aren't any good valves in that price range for metal. Except perhaps the 6262.
Quote by rockdan101
In england the 6260/2 is a fair bit cheaper than the 333s.

Why aren't they good (with a bad monkey)?

EDIT: Just heard the most incredible clips of a bugera 6260 on netmusicians.org

There a classic rock and blues amp and are not intended to be for metal. With a bad monkey, eq, speaker swap and tube swap they can pull off thrash and the tip of modern metal. But thats as good as it gets and you just spent more then enough money to get a used 5150, Ultra or Triple. And bugeras are nice but if you dont mind buying used you can get the real thing for the same price.
So it's either the 6260-212 or the 6262-212...
To be honest, the two channels factor of the 6262 isn't that amazing, sure, it means I could have reverb on the clean only which wold be good but it's nothing groundbreaking.
But I trust GAK and the other place (Soundslive.co.uk?) I've never heard of...
And I liked the look of the low gain/high gain inputs on the 6260, do they help much at all or would I find myself not using them? :P

That reminds me, I'm selling a Digitech Whammy, pretty much new. I got it for Christmas last year and it's not really my style: offers if you want... we'd have to negotiate though

Aaanyway. Yeah in Britain the 626x's seem like the way forward to me anyway. I listened to some demos, I was impressed with the cleans, for a metal amp they were surprisingly decent, and the gain was sexy. The player never performed a pinch harmonic, if I remember right... how are the squealies?

Out of those two, which one? And worst case scenario (it turns out to be shit) would it be possible to return to Gak?

Thanks, you guys have been amazing.

*cheers*

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Quote by ponnightingale
The player never performed a pinch harmonic, if I remember right... how are the squealies?

squealies? really? lolcano...

anyway, look used first, try out whatever amps you can. Used peaveys first, then go new bugera if you really have to.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
you're honestly gonna be struggling for metalcore + tube at that budget. maybe a randall rg50tc. i wouldn't want the socal for metalcore, it's more classic and hard rock-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah, Dave!

The Bugeras are sounding like just the amp I want though... I'm liking the footswitch too. It offers pretty much everything I want and has great tone in my opinion. The 333 212 and 6262 212 are both £400 so I've decided to sell my Digitech Whammy and get one of them I think... unless someone can find an amp with everything the Bugera offers AND MORE, for the same price or less. Which I doubt you'll manage :P

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Stay far away from Valvekings when it comes to metal especially modern metal.

yea IP is right. but i can get metal tones out of mine but i put some money into 2 od pedals and an EQ pedal.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by ponnightingale
Ah, Dave!

The Bugeras are sounding like just the amp I want though... I'm liking the footswitch too. It offers pretty much everything I want and has great tone in my opinion. The 333 212 and 6262 212 are both £400 so I've decided to sell my Digitech Whammy and get one of them I think... unless someone can find an amp with everything the Bugera offers AND MORE, for the same price or less. Which I doubt you'll manage :P

i haven't been able to try the bugeras yet, that's the problem. if you can try one and like it, it might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bah... well to be honest nothing in this price range has impressed me yet except the Bugeras, surprisingly versatile. I was worrying about the 120 Watt aspect but the guy said, and proved, that it sounds roughly the same just a "hairbreadth over 0" or whatever he said.
So the question now is...

Bugera 6262-212 or Bugera 333-212?

Cheers for all your help and support, wonderful as always.

*cheers*

P.s. Anyone know of a good recording program or even cheap equipment for my band? Audacity's good but when I try to record multiple things at once, it sounds horrible, and when I try to record everything seperately it hates me: it blanks out sometimes; it fuzzes up and crackles up; it makes some things annoyingly quiet. Any idea?

Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

well, i mean if you've tried the bugeras and liked them, then i guess go for it. not too sure how the reliability is on them...

it it for home playing or gigging? i only ask because blackstar have released a new 5 watter (which i haven't tried ) but it might be worth looking at if this is only for home playing, as the price seems pretty decent.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?