I've been learning to play guitar for 6 months now (had my guitar for 4 of those), and to start off I was progressing fine, I've learned major chords, simple riffs and minor chords in my lessons, but over the past month or so, I've just been feeling that I haven't really improved as a player and it kind of sucks. I even tried to find a song to play, but now I can't even decide what type of music I want to try.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation, or got a solution to help me out of this rut?
Learn a song you enjoy.

A big part of learning the guitar is a lot of repetition. It gets old, but it's gratifying when you see the results. Learning a song you like or that inspires you and being able to play it well is a great way to get out of the repetitive stuff and have some fun.

Don't worry about how fast you're progressing, just know that you are. Progressing on guitar is a little like trying to watch your hair grow in the mirror: it may not seem like it, but it's always getting longer. One day you'll pick up the guitar and notice you can suddenly do somthing you've been struggling on. It kind of "jumps" in that way, but you've actually been progressing the whole time. The less you focus on it and the more you dedicate yourself to learning, the less frustrating it'll seem. Just know that you're always progressing, even when it doesn't seem like it.

Also, 6 months isn't very long in the guitar playing spectrum. You have your whole life to play guitar, don't stress over instant results, because there aren't any.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
It all comes down to playing what you enjoy most. Thats what got me through it. You should still try out other forms of music you are not normally acoustomed to aswell. you can pick up lots of new ideas by branching out into jazz, blues and country ect.. don't JUST play rock...
Quote by Roy Batty
It all comes down to playing what you enjoy most. Thats what got me through it. You should still try out other forms of music you are not normally acoustomed to aswell. you can pick up lots of new ideas by branching out into jazz, blues and country ect.. don't JUST play rock...

+1 to that. Versatility is never a bad thing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Hmm, I see what you mean.

I guess I should give other styles a try, I wouldn't really want to learn most of the songs i listen to *yet*, basically because they're all probably insanely hard (I listen to a lot of heavy/power metal along the lines of megadeth, pantera, sonata arctica, nightwish, etc)

I would like to learn some jazz or funk, but I dont know any artists related to it or even if its suitable for beginners. I guess I'll have a look around, anyway.

Thanks for the replys Garou and Roy
Just keep at it. I've had that feeling for a while. Last night I tested myself and found I could hit 2 octave scales on my bass in 8th notes at 210 bpm. If all inspiration deserts you, general exercises will help your technical proficiency.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
learn a challenging solo. One that you are skilled enough to play, but one that is challenging for you. Nothing creates a feeling of joy and accomplishment for me quite like when I get them down.
Learn a real easy song. For example I just learned TNT by ACDC, It's three chords : simple and fun to play along too..doesn't have to be technically challenging, and I'm just around 6 months like yourself.

RaVe
Remember that improvement isn't just about the amount of stuff you learn. It's how well you do it. For example, when you play an A chord. Do you mute the low E string? Do you only hit the highest 4 strings when playing D? Being able to play cleanly is one of the most important things when it comes to playing guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.