So im playing in the local guitar store. This big jolly guys playing the bass an isle over. he was soooooo good it was ridiculous. After a while him and I just noodling(not playing together) he comes over to me and is like "dude u nice, ill play sumthin in E and just follow" and im like uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok lol. I'm better then ur average teenager but this guy was freaking jesus at bass and im defiantly not as good as him on guitar. So he plays this sweeeet funky jazz bass line and im just trying to do some good improvising over it. doing lots of short phrases and trying to pick out a melody to do. I personally thought he was gonna come back over and laugh at my attempt to play with his awesomeness. But instead when were we done he comes over and wants me to play with him in studio! im like REALLY?!?!?!?! lol i havn't even had my first gig yt >< so we exchanged info and hes gonna call me to go to the studio this weekend or next. so ya, lol what goes down in studio like the basics. do i need to bring an amp cuz i got a shitty crate solidstate lol. Also like what should i do to prepare/do when im there besides just keep doing what im doin lol. Im really pumped and i want to make a good impression with the people were gonna jam with at the studio.
Call him and ask about the amp, though any decent studio should have SOMETHING. Make sure you are retaining whatever rights you desire to what you record. Put that shit on paper.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
when he calls, ask him what you need to bring...if it's a good studio he'd have all the setups you'd need for a band (drum set, guitar rigs, etc.) but it depends on how good his studio is....also be prepared for rape possibley.
Congrats. Play your ass off!

Also, make sure you put new strings on your guitar, check your action, all that other shit to do for an important performance, etc. , etc., etc.
studio = his basement

you gonna get raped
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Just do what you did at the guitar store. It was enough to get his attention and impress him, it should be enough to do what he wants to do.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
the studio is a like really famous funk bands, he said its really nice so i hope it has a tube amp lol. Also i have thought of the rape possibly lol but nothing can be as bad as going into a studio with legit musicians with your mom.... ill just be prepared to kick and run to my car lol
Quote by Metallica4546
....also be prepared for rape possibley.

Had me laughing for awhile...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Quote by MoonBoots432
Call him and ask about the amp, though any decent studio should have SOMETHING. Make sure you are retaining whatever rights you desire to what you record. Put that shit on paper.

Careful here.... You have no rights, really. You're a session player. You are not the composer, so performance rights (ie. radio, etc.) and royalties do not apply to you.

The studio owns the recording until the band pays for it, at which time the person who paid for the recording owns it.

So, that covers the composition and the recording of the composition. You own neither.

Find out in advance what they want you to play. Learn the parts and go in prepared. If they just want you to improvise.... then just improvise and do what you do.

The studio should have an amp for you to use, but ask to make sure. Maybe they are looking for a specific sound... maybe not.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ya im getting the impression he jams with this band and he just wants me to join to jam. and there gonna record some stuff. Hopefully they'll like me and invite to play with them. If they don't got an amp should bring my crappy crate one or go rent a nice tube amp also are there any like big rules in the studio that you should never break. like don't talk when someone's playing or something. i have no idea cuz ive never been.
like don't talk when someone's playing or something.
Other way around - don't play when someone is talking. I've never worked/played in a studio but I find it rude and annoying.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Both are true. Don't talk when someone is playing, and don't play when someone is talking. You're there to work, and to work as a team. As soon as you become all independent or start goofing off, or start interrupting, people get pissed off.

Consider yourself a team member. That means listening and following instructions. Try to give them what they want. Be polite and friendly and professional.

Be the person that YOU would like to work with if it was YOUR band hiring a session guy.

Bring your amp along, just in case. Ask them if they are looking for a specific sound. If your amp can't deliver that, and if the studio can't provide an amp that will get that sound, ask them if they'd be willing to cover a rental. If they aren't, then they can't care that much about the tone they want, so just go in and make the best you can with your gear.

It shouldn't be up to you to rent gear at your expense when they are looking for you to play on their CD. The exception is if they are paying you enough to make it worth your while. I'm guessing that's not the case here.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Please be prepared to refuse any alcohol or drugs offered to you, even if you do partake in such things on your own.
A strange new place with strange new people is NOT the place to experiment with substances of any kind (bring your own water or beverage of choice and small snack).

No one in there right mind should look down on you for saying "no, Im cool right now" and keeping yourself clean. You will certainly perform best with a clear head anyway.

Best of luck and congrats

Also dressing reasonably nice is not a bad idea, It could make the difference if they are considering someone to play out with them.

"no, Im cool right now" is all that needs to be said
Quote by Metallica4546
when he calls, ask him what you need to bring...if it's a good studio he'd have all the setups you'd need for a band (drum set, guitar rigs, etc.) but it depends on how good his studio is....also be prepared for rape possibley.

rofl thats funny. anyway i got a show coming up at this place called station 4 in MN, ive got like no info on either so i know how you feel, i know nothing about this stuff as im fairly new to this kind of thing, even tho ive been playing guitar for 3 years and and a band for a year. but for recording if you got a crappy amp i wouldnt bring it.