I need some help from the metal heads around here. I have a crapy amp now but with my birthday and Christmas coming up I will be able to get something else. My budget is around $600, and I play a Schecter Blackjack if that makes any difference. I'm looking for something that can handle the crunch of death metal type stuff as well as the sometimes classical sound of black metal.

Thanks for the help, I really have no idea where to start.

Lauren
Randall RG50TC

edit: they raised to price recently to $620 :P a pinch over your budget.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Definitely 5150 or 6505. Balls to the wall, over the top distortion with MIDS. No other amp besides a Peavey will be as middy.

Or go to the other end of the spectrum and get a Marshall MG. Sometimes, black metal tones are so raw and ugly and fizzy, the shittyness of the MG will make up for it. They make their tone ugly on purpose. This is of course if we're talking about actual \kvlt/ black metal and not poser stuff like dimmu borgir.

Go listen to Ulver's album nattens madrigal and you'll see what i mean. They recorded on shitty solid state amps onto a 4track cassette recorder to get their signature black metal sound. You can see what i'm getting at. anyways.

Authentic black metal sound would be made by bad raw and sound that hurts your ears, marshall mg does that well

but if you want something that will do death metal good as well

peavey 6505/5150
anything Randall
not every randall is good...

and srsly don't get a marshall mg if you want to play death metal
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Get a clean amp and a boss heavy metal pedal. crank all the knobs on the pedal and there you go.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Get a clean amp and a boss heavy metal pedal. crank all the knobs on the pedal and there you go.

That'll work too
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ampeg VH140C

I wish I could find one just to play it.
Quote by injected

black metal tone isnt exactly pleasing to the ears

haha yeah, it's really not most of the time.

My range is from Aletheian to Geistkrieg and from Vanguard to Antestor, and I like folk metal as well.
Isnt the ampeg amp solid state? or is that just the ss140? the VH140 is tube or what?