Currently when I am recording electric guitar I am just using My Shure SM57 directly into my Mac Book Pro, with good results. But this set up alone makes it almost impossible when recording my acoustic stuff unless I'm strumming really hard.

I am debating on either getting a condenser mic, or some kind of audio interface. My main question is how much of a quality difference will I notice recording guitar using an audio interface?

Is it worth it, or should I just use a condenser mic for recording acoustic stuff, and stick with my current electric recording set up?

thanks,

Marc

oh and I'd be willing to spend $200-$500 on a preamp and $100-$200 on a condenser mic
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Oct 29, 2008,
you will need an audio interface WITH phantom power to use a condensor mic, due to the capacitors (plates) inside which need to be powered. Using an audio interface will increase the quality of your recording a lot, but its best to pair this up with a good DAW, logic or pro tools work fine
Thanks, wasn't aware of that, so I really have to have an audio interface to record an acoustic.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I've recorded my acoustic through a regular PC mic into the computer and using the software amplified the signal if necessary. Make sure all your levels are correct before you go buy a interface.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
No, you can use your SM 57, the top end won't be there as much as if you used a condensor (AKG c1000S are good). But hte signal level will be low unless you increase the gain which you can do in a DAW, but you will get much better results if you get an audio interface and boost the input signal.
looks like audio interface + SM57 is the way to go.

I'm not looking for a crazy good set up, like to keep things simple but still want good quality.
I'm using Garageband, i'm happy with it, like it's simplicity. Any audio interface will boost recording quality from what I currently have, but how much should I spend for it to be worth the upgrade?
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I think you'll notice a bigger difference with a more expensive mic and a cheaper preamp than vice-versa.

You have the budget to get a decent one of each. Lots of options in your price range. I have a Rode NT1 that I'm happy with. Also check Studio Projects in that price range. Marshall MXL mics are okay too.

Most interfaces these days have built in preamps with phantom power. You have a lot of options. Check Presonus, M-Audio, Focusrite, TC Electronic and others.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
the preamp will make a HUGE difference, a nice preamp can make the worst of mics sound pretty dang good sometimes, like an SM57 is a perfect example. ive heard them sound like sm57s and ive heard them plugged into a $2000 pre and it was like a whole different mic. yeah man get a decent pre...
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Get yourself a good interface, for recording a simple acoustic guitar sound you'll probably need maybe 1, maybe 2 inputs for a stereo sound? If you think you might use it for other stuff like drums or something in the future then you can invest in an interface with more inputs. You can take a look at Presonus, M-Audio etc. Some interfaces have reputable pre-amps and are not too expensive, so it shouldn't be a problem finding a good pre-amp along with an interface.

The SM57 is a good mic for recording acoustic guitar, but if you want to be able to pick up more detail in the playing (and I do think you can hear the difference), then you can go with recording with a condenser mic, and throw in the 57 at the same time to get an awesome stereo effect.

You can look here for more help on techniques!
Quote by hoondog
the preamp will make a HUGE difference, a nice preamp can make the worst of mics sound pretty dang good sometimes, like an SM57 is a perfect example. ive heard them sound like sm57s and ive heard them plugged into a $2000 pre and it was like a whole different mic. yeah man get a decent pre...

As true as that is, a U87 through an ART pre will still sound better than a 57 through an SSL console, I would expect.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.