Hello,

I've been changing strings around a couple of times now, and today I picked up a set of .10 strings (was told it'd be easier to do bar chords so I thought I'd give it a swing). The store was out of Martins (the ones I usually pick up, cost about 5 euro's for a set), so I just randomly named a brand I hadn't tried yet, since I'm still exploring and trying to find a set of strings that really suits me. So I asked for some elixirs, curious as I was about them. 1 set of elixir .10s though cost me 20 euro's! Now, I've got to say I'm quite satisfied, but I can't quite place if the good sound is because they're elixirs or because it's new strings and they always sound nice and fresh. To be honest, for this price I half expected the strings to play themselves

So, is Elixir like a BMW in the String market or..?
Yes they are.. but i find them to sound the same as strings like Ernie Balls. They are like the BMW, they cost to much and dont perform as well as they should.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
They're supposed to last forever.

I've never used them though.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
I think Elixer makes the best strings out there. IMO they don't sound better than any other high-end string, but they sound at least as good. The clincher is that they last 5 times as long as any other string I've tried, and its almost as if they don't age. They look and feel almost brand new even after several months.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
They are crap in my opinion. The coating kills the harmonics with my EMGS, I took them off after 10 mins. Also they don't last long, I had them on another electric for a while and if you look carefully (or with a magnifying glass) you can see the coating coming off after about 10 hours, it is like little hairballs right above the frets. It totally kills your tone. If you play metal forget it, they are ok for jazz i guess.
Actually i am a big fan of Martins and i don't like Elixirs cause they start stripping their coating after a while, and D'Addarios are probably the most orgasmic strings they ever use, that or Fenders, i'm all about the bright crisp and clean sound out of strings, but that's because i mostly play acoustic....
I actually dont like the sound of most Elixirs. They're usually too bright and suck out all the tonal complexity out of my guitars. All they do is give a really bright sound. I'll still slap them on every once in a while just because they're still really easy to play strings, but Martins and John Pearse just give more tone.

My hands are string killers as well. A set of elixirs do not last any longer than other strings for me. The price is rather steep, so I'm trying to buy cheaper brands. I dont feel like shelling out $20 a month when I can get better tone in other strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've tried martin and d'addario so far. Martin I liked pretty well. Nice sound, decent durability.. D'addario's I didn't like, mostly because that particular set didn't last as long as it should. But the sound didn't differ too much from Martins if you ask me. We'll see how long these elixirs last but so far I'm pretty satisfied with them (not so satisfied that I'll fork over 20 quid every month or 2 for them though). I suppose I'll try another brand after these, just to see if there's a brand out there that really blows my mind, else I'll just stick to Martins..

thanks for the background info!
I have used a couple sets of Elixirs, and they sound marginal at best but they last for a very long time. I also dont really care for martins, they seem to die too fast, so far the only acoustic strings I am happy with is D'addarios as they sound good and last a while. Although ernie ball acoustic strings are also very good
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
I tried Elixers once. They did something I've never had happen to me before: they tarnished like crazy and started peeling after just a couple of weeks of light playing. I tried Dean Markley after that, and that set is lasting me much better than the Elixers.
Just came back from playing guitar with my friends. Surprise, surprise. The G string on his elixirs broke... AGAIN. That's another reason why I don't buy Elixirs anymore, they break like crazy =/
Equipment:

Quote by macjac
They are crap in my opinion. The coating kills the harmonics with my EMGS, I took them off after 10 mins. Also they don't last long, I had them on another electric for a while and if you look carefully (or with a magnifying glass) you can see the coating coming off after about 10 hours, it is like little hairballs right above the frets. It totally kills your tone. If you play metal forget it, they are ok for jazz i guess.

Umm...this is the acoustic forum. He's talking about elixir acoustic strings.

That being said, I don't really like the tone. My cousin has them on his seagull...or is it a Breedlove? I don't quite remember, I'll have to check it out when I see him again . Anyway, they really don't sound all that great. Just not as...well, for lack of a better word, deep....as a set of regular old phosphor bronze strings. Stick with your Martins my good man
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've used Elixirs before and liked some, not others. The nanowebs sound incredibly tinny to me, and I hated them. The polywebs were ok, and lasted a decent while. That being said, I like the sound out of martins better, and I just bought my first pack of D'Addarios and I'm really digging them so far. Will definitely be getting another pack of them. I just can't justify spending 20$ for a pack of strings very often.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
They really don't seem to last any longer for me, but the tone I get from them is so much smoother than any other strings I have tried.
Quote by Azunaii
Hello,

I've been changing strings around a couple of times now, and today I picked up a set of .10 strings (was told it'd be easier to do bar chords so I thought I'd give it a swing). The store was out of Martins (the ones I usually pick up, cost about 5 euro's for a set), so I just randomly named a brand I hadn't tried yet, since I'm still exploring and trying to find a set of strings that really suits me. So I asked for some elixirs, curious as I was about them. 1 set of elixir .10s though cost me 20 euro's! Now, I've got to say I'm quite satisfied, but I can't quite place if the good sound is because they're elixirs or because it's new strings and they always sound nice and fresh. To be honest, for this price I half expected the strings to play themselves

Why are you putting .010's on an acoustic? Those belong to the electrics as they are too light to properly drive an acoustics soundboard, even if they do make for easier bends and barres. That's what practice and experience is for. Why do they make them in that light of a gauge for acoustics then you may ask? How about for small body acoustics? Or one with very very light bracing on the soundboard. But as far as a standard shaped and sized steel string acoustic, such as a dreadnaught, .012's is the way to go. .013's even better as you'll get a lot more volume and tone out of them. Killer on the fret hand tho.
Quote by LeftyDave
Why are you putting .010's on an acoustic? Those belong to the electrics as they are too light to properly drive an acoustics soundboard, even if they do make for easier bends and barres. That's what practice and experience is for. Why do they make them in that light of a gauge for acoustics then you may ask? How about for small body acoustics? Or one with very very light bracing on the soundboard. But as far as a standard shaped and sized steel string acoustic, such as a dreadnaught, .012's is the way to go. .013's even better as you'll get a lot more volume and tone out of them. Killer on the fret hand tho.

Agreed. .010's should only be used for things like vintage guitars.

Yes, it makes barring easier, but that's just cheating. You'll never build up your finger strength.
Equipment:

Best strings ever. I prefer the sound to the D'Addario's I've used, but I'm guessing that that's because they only lasted two days before rusting like mad (same as Ernie Ball), and both days I spent most of my time re-tuning them (and I stretched them, played them like mad, stretched again, and left them to settle).

Quote by captivate
Just came back from playing guitar with my friends. Surprise, surprise. The G string on his elixirs broke... AGAIN. That's another reason why I don't buy Elixirs anymore, they break like crazy =/

Maybe it's the way he's picking/bending the strings? I only use Elixirs now, and they handle my dive-bombing fine.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
Maybe it's the way he's picking/bending the strings? I only use Elixirs now, and they handle my dive-bombing fine.

Nah, there's no way. He's a strummer. Not a hard one either. His technique is fine too. I've also had bad experiences with elixirs. I shredded one in 3 days before.
Equipment:

I'd put my 2 cents on a couple packs of Ernie Ball coated acoustics! I can't even tell it's coated with the micro-thin layer that's applied. Also the plain strings have a titanium wrap at the ball end for extra reinforcement!!
Quote by Azunaii
Hello,

I personally HATE coated strings...they sound like plastic...I like Kerly strings MUCH better for acoustic and electric......

They are NOT coated...but last forever and sound great!
dude, you wanna know what is totally whack--I just bought a pack of Elixir strings yesterday have no idea about what string to try out and I thought, "Shit, for that price, they HAVE to be good." That, and the jerk kept persisting that Elixirs are "the best bro," I took that ass turds word for it and now I come here to read this. What a ****ing day for me
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
Quote by Hexagram
dude, you wanna know what is totally whack--I just bought a pack of Elixir strings yesterday have no idea about what string to try out and I thought, "Shit, for that price, they HAVE to be good." That, and the jerk kept persisting that Elixirs are "the best bro," I took that ass turds word for it and now I come here to read this. What a ****ing day for me

Don't worry. Elixirs are either love or hate, usually.
Equipment:

wow I don't know about you guys, but I personally can't play any other strings than Elixirs. I first got them on my cheapy Alvarez, and it sounded full, nice and bright. It made the guitar sound so much better than other guitars in that price range... I've played Dean Markelys, Martins, and D'Addarios and they've always sounded so dull and bland to me, especially after about a week...

Now with my Taylor, I still use Elixirs and can't seem to go away from them... I usually change the strings about once a month too. I've found Custom Lights to be my favorite gauge so far. They feel so nice and smooth and don't sounds too dull, even when the coating starts feeling somewhat. But usually, I don't let them get to the point where they start to peel.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
It's heartbreaking when you break Elixir strings.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by captivate
Don't worry. Elixirs are either love or hate, usually.

yea, hopefully once their played in they'll turn out alright
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
I like Elixir strings, but they sound very tinny to me when they are brand new. The D'Addario coated strings sounded the best that I've heard brand new, but broke after a week. Just don't take what anyone says as a rule. You have to try them out and form your own opinion about it. It's the only way to know what does it for you.
I bought .10's because I thought I'd give it a go, see if it really matters. So far it does little to improve my bar chords, I just have a f'ed up finger I'm afraid xD I'm practicing finger strength every day yet even if I use all 4 fingers on my left hand to push down my index finger (on various heights too, to make sure no string falls in the knuckle 'gaps') I still get 1 mute string, usually B. I bought .10's because I was pretty close to throwing my guitar out of the window when time and again barre chords weren't working. My theory is starting off on a .10, master it there, then move back up to .12. But the .10s hardly make a difference so far. Not that much in sound either tbh, not to my ear at least. Sure there's a difference but I don't get the feeling I'm raping my guitar or whatever :P

Anyway that's a tad offtopic: I suppose like captivate said it's either love or hate. So far I'm indifferent and certainly will stick to Martin from now on, cause the difference is not worth the price (yet, depends on how long they'll last ofc).
I would usually start at 13's first and then move my way down to 12's, but if you want to do it the other way then that's fine too, I guess. I got the hardest part out of the way frst.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I would usually start at 13's first and then move my way down to 12's, but if you want to do it the other way then that's fine too, I guess. I got the hardest part out of the way frst.

Each their own I guess. But you'll agree with me that guitar playing is something that requires practice and practice, you need to pay attention to the guitar because it won't play itself. And although you can't expect to play a masterpiece after a week, seeing results is a big psychological factor in keeping motivation up. Hence the switch. Like with lifting weights, I don't start with 100kg and work my way down, but the other way around.
Martin Make good strings, i usually get them (and i still have a pack of fenders for spare)
i am gunna restring next with some D'Addario's though. tho i'll have my new electric by then i like acoustic sound more.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Azunaii
Hello,

Use them, embrace them, love them..
they sound great and last way longer.
You may never use another string,
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
Honestly it really is pointless to argue about strings. Everyone has different taste for tone. If you like Elixirs, great, use them. If not, like me, then use something else. My personal opinion is that they are overpriced and overrated. But that's just me. You can have your opinion
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I love Elixir strings for acoustic guitars, but hate them for electric. I also prefer the nanowebs over the polywebs. As said above they take a while to break in. I use the .13s set - heavier string = better tone.

And re: comments that the strings break too much, check this out. I was in a car accident, one of my guitars was strung with Elixirs. I was in a coma for three days, the strings shredded the guitar to pieces. But didn't break.

Here's a pic of me with the guitar:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/6/8/4/9/684937/pics/_c402209_image_0.jpg
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Oct 31, 2008,
I somehow don't think it was the strings that broke the guitar though. It's more probable that it was just the impact.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I somehow don't think it was the strings that broke the guitar though. It's more probable that it was just the impact.

I can post you pics of the back - there's parallel lines going through the back of the body. Of course the impact caused it, but the neck was snapped back, the strings stayed on and literally shredded the guitar. I don't know what else to say - I was there, and you weren't.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If Elixirs are so shit why do Taylor ship them as default in size 11 on all their expensive guitars?
i love my elixirs and cant do any other kinds of strings
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
im def. gonna get a few sets of elixirs next time i go out. i just realized my acoustic has d'addario 12's on it. 12's. no wonder i cant bend worth a shit on it.
Quote by Jackolas
If Elixirs are so shit why do Taylor ship them as default in size 11 on all their expensive guitars?

Because Taylors are a love and hate kind of company too. I've never played a Taylor I've ever thoroughly enjoyed. Played at least 15 different models too. Taylors aren't really for me. Neither are elixirs, sound wise.

Personal preference. It's all just personal preference.
Equipment: