Lately I am having major trouble writing riffs. Especially electric clean/Acoustic riffs. Can anyone give me some suggestions to help me compose. I have tried everything. I look up new scales and practice practice practice from all the tutorials and stuff on this site and my technique is getting alot better but my writing is awful. Also I have been engaging in music theory.

Please help
i just learn new songs and doodle around a lot. sometimes people get writers block, dont worry, eventually you'll write something again, it always happens. try to find inspiration somewhere you dont usually.
There was a lesson on this site that I came across, basically it said to take the bottom 2 or 3 strings of any scale you'd like and play every combination of those notes. Turn them into riffs, the restriction to 2 strings make you think more and expand the creativity. Good Luck.

Go here: www.paulkleffmusic.com and sign up for the Ebook. It's in there.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Oct 29, 2008,
If you have the ablity to hear origional riffs in your head, try and recreate them on guitar as soon as you hear em. You can also hum them into a phone or dictaphone to record it and try to recreate it later on your guitar. You can try and learn something by ear, I recently tried that and wrote some riffs not too similar to the attempted song.

Perhaps learning a lot of other poeples stuff, and figuring out how they came about discovering it would be helpful.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Tenacious D'er
If you have the ablity to hear origional riffs in your head, try and recreate them on guitar as soon as you hear em. You can also hum them into a phone or dictaphone to record it and try to recreate it later on your guitar.

I do this all the time except once I get the riff in my head, I hum into my guitar tuner and figure out the notes.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by scream_it
I do this all the time except once I get the riff in my head, I hum into my guitar tuner and figure out the notes.

Ah crafty, I would have never thought of that!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Unless you guys have perfect pitch you'll be inhibited.

I find it best to construct a motif, jam on it for... (well... 10 minutes or a couple of hours depending on how the wind's blowing), and by the end of it I'll have maybe a Dozen "riffs" to work with. It only makes it complicated of course, but too many times have I written something I thought I'd maxed the potential on, only to find myself embelishing not long after I'd 'written' the song, for sheer self-consciousness and perfectionism.

It's easy to chug out something cool, whats hard is chugging out something desperately similar and writing a song with the one that takes you the most. Guarentee that 90% of the time it won't be the first thing that your fingers popped out.
Once We Were Anarchists