I’ve recently started playing some slap stuff but I’ve found that when slapping on the A string my E string is resonating somewhat, I’m fairly sure I’m not making any contact with the E I think the resonation is caused by the force of the slap is this some sort of technique issue here?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
I'm no good at slap, I suck to be honest, so don't take this as 'solid' advice. But I think you need to mute the E with your left hand while you slap to stop that. I could never do the muting part of slap so I'm still practicing alot and failing!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Oct 29, 2008,
yeh slapping is one of those things you just have to practice frequently to keep it in order. I was once really good at it but i stopped using it after i joined a jazz band and now im pretty much on the same boat i was when i first started. What im trying to say is that you have to practice it heaps and eventually you will find a good technique that works for you.

good luck
All videos of slap I've seen on youtube talk about holding down (muting) all other strings with your left hand, and leaving an opening for the one you are hiting. This seems really difficult, and really complicated, but I guess that's what makes slap an advanced technique
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel
Quote by guylee
you can mute the e-string with your left thumb, too.

Is thata "correct" way of doing it? I thought the thumb was supposed to stay of the neck at all times?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by Ripper_66
Is thata "correct" way of doing it? I thought the thumb was supposed to stay of the neck at all times?

You should never think any rules about bass are concrete. usually people who tell you things like this do it for a reason, in this case, so that when you start off you don't get into bad habits. However, if it makes slapping more effective, there's nothing stopping you from muting with your left thumb other than the size and shape of your hands. Rules are there as guidelines, but we're all different, so as long as it works for you, I say do it. After all, if Larry graham had decided to play by the book, slap would never have even been invented at all.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Muting with your thumb curled over the neck is not the most efficient way of muting. if you are playing the A string, mute with the base of your palm.

Remember on the A string there is an E, and when an E note sounds, the E string will vibrate. This is called sympathetic vibration. Muting with the base of you palm will stop this happening.

As i've said before, muting is what sets players apart in my book.

I used to wonder how people had such a clean sound, but its just experience and time mate..