Page 1 of 2
Hey! Im looking for a new good amp, and i have listen alittle and im thinking to go for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401. I havent played it yet though, so im wondering if you guys can recomend it. What are the pro's and con's?

//
The DSL is pretty good.
I own one, it is great for rock and thrash. Anything like death metal and really you'd need to boost it to squeeze more juice from it. The cleans are good too, nice and bright. It is a modern voiced amp though, so classic rock on it is a bit iffy (just my opinion).
I really didn't like the 401 when I tried it. A DSL50 with a 2x12 cab sounds much better imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a marshall amp combo MK II personally i love it... i dont know what else to say
Quote by MatrixClaw
I really didn't like the 401 when I tried it. A DSL50 with a 2x12 cab sounds much better imo.

I was going to say something along similar lines.

Most think its a DSL, therefore it should be the quality of the heads (yes, the DSL heads sound 10x better than the TSL heads), but this is nowhere near the case.

Firstly, the 401 contains EL84s not EL34s - this provides much less growl and balls - and IMO lots of fuzziness and less definition in chords and complex sequences.
The fact it is a combo provides little low end even in comparison to a head with a 2x12 cab.
With the combo, i find it a little boxed in - no pun intended - and not having tried, but heard the TT combo, i find the TT overcomes this a fair bit more.

It is not a bad amp, but i would go with a 50w DSL head and a 2x12 cab - even a 1x12 cab instead will provide a sound enhancement.

Otherwise - i would buy a Rocker30.....
I've always found the DSL and TSL to be quite disappointing, the old Marshalls were so much nicer. They're ok for an entry level tube amp but there are much better out there...
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
I've always found the DSL and TSL to be quite disappointing, the old Marshalls were so much nicer. They're ok for an entry level tube amp but there are much better out there...

Same for me. I hear the DSLs sound pretty sweet with KT-77s in them though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
I've heard the MG series is good for its price...?

The MGs are horrible for their price...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
Oh... My friend has the 100W half-stack, and it doesn't sound too terrible...

You'd better leave, because unless this is a joke, people will start on you and you will not provide ANY relevant information to this thread.
I'm really interested in the new JVM range - the combos (I like combos) look the biz and from what I've researched they are really versatile, well built and by all accounts a return to form for Marshall
Quote by UnicronAlliance
I'm really interested in the new JVM range - the combos (I like combos) look the biz and from what I've researched they are really versatile, well built and by all accounts a return to form for Marshall

Everytime I go to Guitar Center, I play the JVM, and everytime I think it still sucks
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by UnicronAlliance

The JVM's are alright, when I tried one I quite enjoyed, but I thought for the price you'd be better off getting a Vintage Modern. Much more clarity and balls compared to the JVM in my opinion, and it is more versatile (again, just my opinion, others may disagree).
Quote by gregs1020
One con for the dsl is that you can get this for $690 plus shipping.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJCM800_2204/BSJCM800_2204Complete.htm

Not really, it costs ~$200 for shipping. You can buy a real JCM800 head for that much, and you can buy the DSL401 ~$500.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AdamDK
The JVM's are alright, when I tried one I quite enjoyed, but I thought for the price you'd be better off getting a Vintage Modern. Much more clarity and balls compared to the JVM in my opinion, and it is more versatile (again, just my opinion, others may disagree).

the only problem with with the VM is the non footswitchable mid boost.

if it had that it'd be a fantastic amp.

I like the low without the boost for cleans, low with the boost for crunch/low gain stuff and the high with the boost for lead. the high without the mid boost would be ok for hard rock rhythm but the fact that you can't switch between them just stops me from loving that amp.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Thanks for all the answers!

All these others ones you prefer, how much more expensive are they? Im not really into buying an amp that costs a shitload atm :P Im looking for a combo btw
Quote by davidtheman__
Im living in Sweden and my budget is around 1300

1300 of Swedish currency? USD Dollars? GBP?
Everytime I go to Guitar Center, I play the JVM, and everytime I think it still sucks

What's the problem with them then MatrixClaw? I mean I may have gotten the model wrong, I'm talking about the one recently reviewed in Guitarist Mag. I know Mags can be Fanboy's but it seemed to get a great write-up, the specs look good andlooks to be an interesting purchase.

You're a regular here like myself so I respect you're opinion. BTW I'm not looking to purchase - I've got all I need in my Laney TT50 combo (which rapes modern Marshall's IMO!)
What is the difference between the DSL401 and the TSL601? Any difference in the sound or is it effects, channels etc?
Quote by davidtheman__
What is the difference between the DSL401 and the TSL601? Any difference in the sound or is it effects, channels etc?

DSL has two channels with a volume boost, TSL has three channels. And also the DSL has 4 pre-amp and 4 power amp valves whereas the TSL has 4 pre-amp and 2 power amp valves. The DSL is 40 watts, the TSL is 60. And the TSL has a deep switch and tone-shift buttons.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really, it costs ~$200 for shipping. You can buy a real JCM800 head for that much, and you can buy the DSL401 ~$500.

That's tru, I was comparing the ceriatone to the DSL, which came up at over $1000 in my search.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What??? The MG series is perfectly fine for its price...I actually think they sound better than any of Marshall's pricier tube amps... I play a lot of heavier stuff, so it provides enough gain, whereas the TSL or DSL do not... The AVT series still sounds the best of all in my opinion.
Quote by chuckmehh
What??? The MG series is perfectly fine for its price...I actually think they sound better than any of Marshall's pricier tube amps... I play a lot of heavier stuff, so it provides enough gain, whereas the TSL or DSL do not... The AVT series still sounds the best of all in my opinion.

My god, we have been graced by the presence of a tone god!!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by chuckmehh

Just curious here, have you ever even touched a JCM 800, 900 or 2000 with your finger? Or heard a Plexi, JTM 45? What sort of heavier stuff do you play?
I own a DSL 401, very solid amp, however the tubes are kinda fuzzy on the distortion side the cleans are nice and warm though. I have a metal muff pedal so I'm looking at getting a regular distortion for the guy. It does sound good though. It's not terrible by any standards but its not the greatest thing ever. All in All a solid 1x12 tube amp. But I haven't played a lot of other things in this price range (like engls or stuff.)
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I think MG's are great. Of course they aren't as good as any of Marshall's nice Tube amps, but their still good parctice amps. I hate that everyone insists that they are peices of shit cause they aren't.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
yes i Have "touched a JCM 900, 800, and 2000 with my finger." I haven't, however, played a JTM 45. The JCM's just don't provide enough gain from my experiences. They sound amazing for classic rock tone, I'll grant them that. I'm into metal though (Black Label Society, Pantera, etc) and they just don't dish it out for that style. And yes, I know Zakk Wylde plays a JCM 800; it baffles me how he gets it to sound like that. Maybe when the volume is cranked they get gainier?? I'm no expert on this stuff, but what I previously said is my opinion based on my personal experiences playing each amp. I have an AVT150 half stack, which apparently isn't too highly regarded given that the one guy sarcastically deemed me a "tone god." I just know what sounds best for me, and that amp is way better for me than the pricier all tube amps Marshall offers.
Page 1 of 2