Ok, so I'm playing guitar with my school's jazz ensemble and I got the music yesterday. I can read music and know notes etc. It's the way it's written that i don't understand. What's the difference between A+7 and A7 and there is a Chord that is written "C#0" except the o is small and on the top left. It's a C sharp what?

Thanks in advance for your help.
C#o is the symbol for C# diminished. C#o7, would include the 6 of that chord. Without the 7 its just a diminished triad. A+7 is the shorthand for A11(b13,+9,b9). A7 means just a basic dominant. Especially in a big band setting. In a combo, A7 is open to some interpretation.
C# dim would be C# E G

C# dim7 would be C# E G Bb

A+7 would be A augmented seventh, which would be A C# E G#

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by vXFuryXv
Ok, so I'm playing guitar with my school's jazz ensemble and I got the music yesterday. I can read music and know notes etc. It's the way it's written that i don't understand. What's the difference between A+7 and A7 and there is a Chord that is written "C#0" except the o is small and on the top left. It's a C sharp what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A+7 is an A augmented 7 chord
C#0 would be a c# diminished chord
I'm sure he never would have guessed that at this point...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by kaptkegan
C#o is the symbol for C# diminished. C#o7, would include the 6 of that chord. Without the 7 its just a diminished triad. A+7 is the shorthand for A11(b13,+9,b9). A7 means just a basic dominant. Especially in a big band setting. In a combo, A7 is open to some interpretation.
What?

A+7 means an augmented chord (which in jazz also comes as a dominant chord)
R, 3, #5, b7

C#o means a full diminished chord
R, b3, b5, bb7 (which is enharmonic to a 6)

If theres a line through the o of a diminished chord, it means its half diminished IE:
C#Ø
R b3 b5 b7
Quote by demonofthenight
What?

R, 3, #5, b7

C#o means a full diminished chord
R, b3, b5, bb7 (which is enharmonic to a 6)

If theres a line through the o of a diminished chord, it means its half diminished IE:
C#Ø
R b3 b5 b7

yeah thats correct.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by demonofthenight
What?

R, 3, #5, b7

Oops! Yes, I stand corrected. Sometimes I go a bit too quickly.

CT