I mean seriously, I've been playing for like 2 1/2 years and I started to get good after the first year but since that I haven't really progressed. I guess i'm a decent player, especially acoustically but it seems when I plug my guitar in it usually has shitty tone and sounds like crap. If I got a new amp would I sound better?
Somewhere along the line, did you stop practicing and start just learning songs? For about a year I did nothing but learn acoustic songs and try to teach myself to sing. At the end I was definitely a better singer and had a better sense of rhythm, but my overall chops had decreased.
Practice more, and by that I mean sit down and dedicate time to improving your weaknesses, not sitting on the couch watching TV with the guitar in your hands.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by scream_it
Practice more, and by that I mean sit down and dedicate time to improving your weaknesses, not sitting on the couch watching TV with the guitar in your hands.

D:

THATS HOW I PRACTICE!!!

i feel so insecure about myself now

but yeah just practice the stuff you couldnt do
Orly?
Yeh, avoid thinking "well im playing the right frets at the right time"... remember 'guitarist' means musician, in the same way trombonist or clarinetist does.... it's all about feel and creating music. Actually listen to what your playing and assess it like a piece of music, how it sounds as a performance of music... not how it seems as a piece of guitar wankery.
Once We Were Anarchists
First, completely disregard the amp comment.

Second, everyone slows down after the very beginning, don't worry about it. If you keep practicing, you will keep getting better.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.