Hey all, I'm getting my first tube amp and I have some questions:

1.) How long does the average preamp/poweramp tube amp last (I play for hours everyday)?

2.) Do tubes just die or do they just need to be re-biased?

3.) How often must you bias your tubes to keep the best possible tone?

4.) Would it be a good idea to buy one of the bias kits and bias everything yourself or do most people just take it to a shop?
1. 2 years or so on power tubes is average, though this does depend how long you're playing for a day and at what volume.

2. They die.

3. When you change out power tubes.

4. Bias yourself, a shop will charge you a lot for "labor."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^+1, All I have to add is, using a multimeter is a lot cheaper than buying one of those bias kits and will do as well of a job.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
cool thxs.. im still confused about biasing though... I thought tubes slowly change and you have to keep biasing them ... and if your changing tubes out, don't you order tubes that are already biased?
Biasing is just setting the idle current of the amp to match the tubes. A tube's bias does drift after a while, but you shouldn't have to check more than once every few months. This is all basic information that could be found in the tubes sticky.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Biasing is just setting the idle current of the amp to match the tubes. A tube's bias does drift after a while, but you shouldn't have to check more than once every few months. This is all basic information that could be found in the tubes sticky.

ok ty, ill look
I wouldn't get a tube amp for practicing hours every day. For one you can't really dime the volume and two it ages more.

I have a 120 watt peavey ultra plus that i never dime. i rarely use it in my home.. i use my line 6 spider 15 for practicing for hours and hours. Sure, it sounds like shit, but then it'll sound great when i hook it up to my main rig.

The spider was the amp when i first started playing guitar, thats how i have it..
^What's the point in practicing if you sound like shit? I turns me off when I don't sound good. Unless you're burning up a set of nos tubes every year tubes are pretty cheap.
well i still use my ultra occasionally if i want to play a little louder

i guess if it matters that much to you during practice you could use it more but i dont mind

personal preference really