I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about (what i call ,but dont know if theres a technical name) pickup orientation. just randomly one day i set the pickups on my axe so that the bridge pickup is closer to the treble strings and far away from the bass strings, and the opposite on the neck pickup. i get this really cool unique tone now, but i was just wondering if it is possibly bad for the guitar or pickups, and/or if anyone else does this?
LOOK AT MY SIG!!!!
its hight and its not bad for the pup at all
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
yeah, it's referred to as pickup height, and it is suggested that for single coils the pickups are closer to the treble strings than the bass strings by 1mm or so on the Fender website. Humbuckers and active pickups are usually lined up flat, but you can raise or lower them a bit without having a huge problem with an uneven sound (ie top strings overpowering the lower strings or vice versa), and it can be helpful to adjust your sound (somewhat like an EQ on an amp). Just be careful with pickups that are screwed to the guitar/pickguard with more than 2 screws (ie. tele bridge, some hollowbody pickups) as you might bend the pickup a bit if one of the screws is a seriously off in height from the others.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
i offset them a bit but i like to raise the high side on the neck and the low end on the bridge
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by Xpresspeace
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about (what i call ,but dont know if theres a technical name) pickup orientation.
definitely NOT orientation. that would be which direction they're pointed. for instance, a HB at the bridge is most commonly oriented with the screw poles nearest the bridge. If you reverse the orientation, it would have the slug poles nearest the bridge.

Quote by Xpresspeace
just randomly one day i set the pickups on my axe so that the bridge pickup is closer to the treble strings and far away from the bass strings, and the opposite on the neck pickup. i get this really cool unique tone now, but i was just wondering if it is possibly bad for the guitar or pickups, and/or if anyone else does this?
it won't hurt a thing. if it it sounds good, and you like it ... k, koo.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.