Hi
I've been playing guitar self taught for a year now and I would class myself slightly above average guitar player who can write own music easily.
I've also started learning drums 1 month ago and im developing very quick and playing a grade 2 standard and able to keep a beat and clean fills.
So heres the problem:
Ive been asked to join a band as either a guitarist or drummer, I've played many gigs as a guitarist with a HIGH stage presence but none as a drummer.
I do not own any drumming equipment except some sticks.
I must admit I do have a 64% ego as a guitarist.
I know the UG doesnt really deal with drummers but what should I do?!

Stay an average guitarist who may gradually improve but has GREAT stage presense?
Or
Become a drummer and hopefully get better even though I will be bored at gigs?

Please help
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Quote by xl Trivium lx
Seems like you already know the answer lol

But i dont!!!
I know ill never be a GREAT guiarist
but there may be a chance of me being a great drummer =/
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
i think if you can become a guitarist with GREAT stage presence, and if you would be bored during gigs, live it up, go with guitar
Quote by Ahyoka
Pop goes the weasel...with the casket closed

Quote by Jsteele1408
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Quote by Tastytaco
mmm... if a girl has Tourette's and screams "f*** me!", would that be consent?

PSN: jermstar44
just play guitar in the band now, and slowly progress as a drummer

Later on, if you realize your a better drummer, then go with that

Otherwise you sound like a guitarist to me
Sign on with them as a guitarist, and maybe you'll get the chance to play both later.

You can take a guitar and practice anywhere, but playing on a table-top as opposed to a real drum set is a wide difference that may pose a problem if you cant get your hands on a set to practice with.

I went to a Weezer show last weekend, and everyone in the band was constantly switching instruments on stage; Rivers would play guitar for a song, drums for another, only vocals, or bass. Maybe you'll be able to do this eventually...
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Well its usually easier for a band to find a guitarist then a drummer, so I would say drummer, if you like the guys.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Where did you get the 64% ego figure? Stay with the guitar or do both?
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by Horny-Egg
But i dont!!!
I know ill never be a GREAT guiarist
but there may be a chance of me being a great drummer =/

Playing small town gigs does not determine what you're going to do later on in life, just to clarify. Personally, I would do it on drums and try the thing you've never done before, although if you've only been playing for a month, you're still going to need A LOT of practice to start gigging, even if you are as good as you say you are.
Ill admit the problem is:
At the place we practice there are just so many guitarists.
Some of these just so happen to be enemies who are arrogant and tell me how great at guitar they are and that they are better than me.
I have beat the crap out of some of them for just taking it too far sometimes but we all know that doesnt help
But what they ALL lack is stage presense and a SOCIAL life.
The reason they are good is because they have no friends and just play guitar all week.
there is such thing as practice but I thinks theres a limit
And 2 of the guitarist cannot write their own music?!
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
I also like the feeling of being up front on stage creating/watching the mosh pits
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
try both do a sort of Brian Jones thing. If you like more than the other go for that one
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Play the instrument that you like the best and will best benifit the band.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by Chasepw133
man you've been playing for 1 year and you've already played alot of gigs? nifty

It was around 5 months in when I got "My style" and 2 months later I got in a band and we were doing gigs around town every saturday =D
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
Quote by xEpidemicx
Play the instrument that you like the best and will best benifit the band.

Thx man thts good point
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
GUITAR ALL THE WAY
think about it theres probably 1 out of 20 of my favourite bands who i know the drummers name
drummers dont get noticed
guitarists DO(especially lead guitarists)
Im not a very skilled lead guitarist but can do a realistic good sounding shred now n then
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
Kids today... not everyone can be the lead guitarist.

The fact of the matter is if you do drums there is an immensely higher chance that the band will get off the ground.
Quote by Horny-Egg

Stay an average guitarist who may gradually improve but has GREAT stage presense?
Or
Become a drummer and hopefully get better even though I will be bored at gigs?

Please help

The way you've worded that, it really does sound like you'd prefer to be a guitarist, you even mention that being a drummer will cause you to be bored at gigs.
So let's have a good long look at rule number one shall we?

'Rule No.1. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.'

Does this help in any way?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The way you've worded that, it really does sound like you'd prefer to be a guitarist, you even mention that being a drummer will cause you to be bored at gigs.
So let's have a good long look at rule number one shall we?

'Rule No.1. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.'

Does this help in any way?

Aye thanks man, I'll always have guitar in my blood
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
drumers are rare and hugely in demand so if you like both do drums, otherwise do what you prefer, and you shud be more modest lol.
More modest?
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
I'd rather not wait til i become super famous >.<
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
you should play guitar imo, you'll be holding your band back for the next 12 months till you get normal gigging quality if you decide on drums. You may be good for a month, but there's still a lot of things you'll need to learn before being decent enough for the job.
I play drums and guitar. Personally, I like drums more. People can always hear you, you're in charge of the beat/tempo, plus there are some beats that sound awesome + fills are incredibly fun to do
depends... fi you plan to play such music with interesting drums, blink for example.. (i hate them, but i love their drums) than pick teh drums

if you're going for something with boring drum parts than pick guitar.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
bump
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
Be the drummer. The chances of finding another guitarist who is great is pretty high, the chances of finding another drummer who is great is very slim. The only reason you'll be bored playing drums is because you've convinced yourself drums is boring in comparison to guitar, but it doesn't have to be.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by trey-col89
Be the drummer. The chances of finding another guitarist who is great is pretty high, the chances of finding another drummer who is great is very slim. The only reason you'll be bored playing drums is because you've convinced yourself drums is boring in comparison to guitar, but it doesn't have to be.

Im MADE to be up at the front interacting with the crowd. Not being a drum kit
Quote by XGhacker
Bruce Dick-in-son
I mean, think whatever you want... I am just telling you that based on convenience you'd be able to get a band up and running much quicker if you played drums. If you walked up to 10 people on the street, I guarantee 5 of them play guitar and I guarantee 2 of those 5 are probably pretty good. Thats how easy it is to find a good guitarist. You think you can find a solid drummer that easily? Its hard enough to just find A drummer in general, let alone a good one. And you can still be a front man or integral part of the band from behind the kit. I don't know why you've convinced yourself that drums equals boring and not being seen or known. Kieth Moon? John Bonham? Levon Helm? Neil Peart? Don Henly? Mick Fleetwood? I mean seriously, you need to change the way you think about music. I know thats its everybody's 'dream' to get up centerstage like Jimmy Page and rip a solo to Stairway to Heaven, but thats not realistic, and there is much more to music than just being the guitar diva who is the center of attention. Oh well at least you're modest
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'