So i have this piece of crap Marshall MG100HDFX head. It's a solid state and i also got the 4x12 120 w cab that came with it from Guitar center. I want to get rid of the head because when i play at high volumes, guess what! it's horribly distorted. If i were to get an all tube head, perhaps a Peavey or Marshall if i can find some for cheap, using the same cab, would i still get the horrible distortion at loud volumes?

I would obivoulsy jsut use the cab that i have until i got enough money to replace it with something better..
It wouldn't be as bad, but the cab is still not that great.

It would def. be an improvement until you get a new cab.
It's a pretty poorly made cab with terrible speakers, but it'll hold you over until you can get a good one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ghold125
cheap and marshall don't always tend to be in the same sentence...

Quoted for epic truth.

What's with all this MG-bashing, anyways? My friend's MG100HDFX isn't too incredibly bad.
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
Quoted for epic truth.

What's with all this MG-bashing, anyways? My friend's MG100HDFX isn't too incredibly bad.

Actually, they are. You just don't have an ear for tone, no offense. Not to mention build quality and reliability.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
Quoted for epic truth.

Yes it is. I have what is basically an MG (Late 90's Valvestate) and it's fizzy and crappy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea, these mg's really aren't all that great. At low volumes it sounds fine, but at high volumes it gets crazy distorted which sounds horrible on top of the distortion from my pedals... it's good for practicing, i guess, but not for shows.

Well, thanks for the input. I'm really thinking of going for a B-52 all tube head or like i said a peavey. Any other all tube heads that might be good for metal and hard rock? I love the osund of my friends Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, but that isn't exactly "cheap"
Actually I'd been looking at a B-52 myself, the AT-100. The reviews seems to be pretty positive, though I hear about some nasty feedback so you'd most likely need a suppressor. Anyone else have an opinion on the B-52? Seems like a lot of amp, for the price especially.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
pawn off the stack on craigslist and use the money to invest in a good tube combo. if you really want a head, go for it, but combos are much more practical seeing that many heads are just overkill with volume.