i've done a search but the only thing i come up with is so use lemon oil to condition a rosewood fretboard a few times a year.
what can i use to clean the grime off of the fingerboard?
would a diluted amount of murphy's oil soap work?
should i just dry-clean it with a scotch-brite pad?
question about steel wool-- will it wear down the frets at all? i dont wanna f- up my intonation.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I'm gonna find me some steel wool then.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by captaincrunk
dont use scotch brite.

I'd use a towel

a towel certainly wont clean off the grime thats on my fretboard.

Quote by Invader Jim
I hear that using a dry 4-ought (0000) steel wool pad will work. You can use it to polish the frets and buff the fretboard.

i can see the steel wool splinters getting everywhere... especially on the pickup magnets

so don't use any kind of soap?
Quote by Invader Jim
I hear that using a dry 4-ought (0000) steel wool pad will work. You can use it to polish the frets and buff the fretboard.
absolutely. using household ammonia along with that, does a great job of cutting the grime and reducing any oxide on the frets.

Quote by Invader Jim
Don't use soap. It'll dry out the wood.

Just keep the steel wool away from the pole pieces. Or tape them over or something.
i wouldn't worry too much about soap, other than it leaving residue. household ammonia has some detergent in it. not a real problem. just wipe it with a cloth with clear water and then with a dry towel. then oil the board. mineral oil works fine. lemon oil is over-rated. most of them contain petroleum distillates, anyway.

covering the pickups is a good plan.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So, the 4 ought steel wool won't make my frets all scuffed and ugly? I accidentally got a fret with some 600 grit sandpaper once and now it's all scratchy and stuff.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I tape off my pickups' pole pieces.

I then tape off the wood on my fretboard. I use very fine steel wool, as mentioned, I believe it's 0000, and use them to polish with the frets. I rub parallel to the frets.

Then, I remove the tape on the fretboard's wood, and rub parallel to the neck (perpendicular to the frets).

Why? so the steel wool doesn't scuff the fretboard. Going against the grain leaves marks.
I did it the other day and I just used an old rag with some water, worked fine. Probably not good for the wood though, but it's a cheap guitar so it gets cheap service :P
I've used for over 20 years a dish towel and some guitar polish and rub the fret board carefully between frets and its worked fine. I've never used steel wool because of the mess, but having said that, I've never polished my frets before.
does anyone know where you can get lemon oil
other than music shops

and BD 425
your avatar sux
lol
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
lemon oil and guitar pick
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
i've cleaned off the gunk with a little acetone and then a light dusting of linseed oil
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology