Hey folks!

If my band has 3 musicians (a drummer, a bassist and me as the guitarist), how do I cope with the "thinning" effect in terms of dynamics when I transit from the rhythm parts (when I'm singing) to lead parts (during the interludes)?
Make sure your tone isn't "thin" to begin with and just play. It'll be just fine, as lots of bands do it, think Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and ZZ Top. If it sounds good, everything else is just gravy my friend.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
Make sure your tone isn't "thin" to begin with and just play. It'll be just fine, as lots of bands do it, think Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and ZZ Top. If it sounds good, everything else is just gravy my friend.

Thanks for the advice!

2 more questions:

1. What effects are good to use for "thickening" the tone and smoothing out the transition parts? Delay? Chorus?

2. If I'm the only musician (guitarist) and I'm singing also, is it possible to play both rhythm and lead, rather than the conventional rhythm playing throughout the song?
Quote by Chasepw133
What are the bassist and drummer if they aren't musicians? =x

Haha...what I mean is that when I'm in a setting whereby I'm the only one playing and singing (when the drummer and bassist aren't there)...rather than playing rhythm throughout, is it possible to incorporate lead portions in the song without losing dynamics?
Quote by dominicsoh

2. If I'm the only musician (guitarist) and I'm singing also, is it possible to play both rhythm and lead, rather than the conventional rhythm playing throughout the song?

Yeh sure it is, but unless you have a Flea quality bassist who can provide the necessary texture for you to trail off fret bashing it might be best to stick to chordal bassed melodies to bridge sections? It depends what sound your going for, but Guns N Roses wouldn't have sounded half the shit when Slash was soloing if it wasn't for Izzy... whereas live the Chili's pull off guitar solos very well with just the bass for backing...

Either way, a volume pedal wouldn't go amiss, and a channel selector with designated lead and rhythm tones too. Just don't make them smack-you-in-the-face different and you'll be fine.

And as for chorus/delay etc for thickening tone... its unnecessary unless that tone matches the song, they can be used in places, and chorus may be helpful if your unsure of your singing and consequentialy want to beef out the guitar a little, but overused or added in the wrong places can just sound drastic and as said, unnecessary.

*idea light bulb*.. no matter what style your playing, I think Silversun Pickups are a good example of how to add that extra something in instrumental sections. He doesn't stray massively from what you'd expect, but still gives those bridge sections a little extra over the verses or whatever. Damn cool either way.
Once We Were Anarchists
Quote by dominicsoh
Thanks for the advice!

2 more questions:

1. What effects are good to use for "thickening" the tone and smoothing out the transition parts? Delay? Chorus?

1 - midrange

2 - of course, look at Hendrix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dimebag managed to pull the shit off. Chirs Poland pulls it off every day in his band, OHM where its just him a drummer and a bassist. Although the drummer is Kofi Baker, and the bassist is Rob Pagliari...one of the best bassists on the planet. If your drums and bass are creative enough you will definately sound fin...but if they are not, then it might not sound so great.
Andy
Quote by Chasepw133
What are the bassist and drummer if they aren't musicians? =x

its a joke... you know something like that:

how do you call a person who hangs out with musicians??

a drummer

on topic: to smooth things up use chorus or reverb
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Try to do a variation of the rhythm section. Keep the rythm going but go crazy with arpegio's (so you keep the chords going), or just blast away with chords, and throw a coupel of melodies in between. As logn as you keep the rythm going and add some extra spark you should be fine.

Wish I had a song to explain it better though :S