Ok so im looking into getting my first half stack amp. I play metal, tones i mainly admire are Bullet for my valentine, all that remains, Trivium, children of bodom,
I dont really want to look into marshall amplifiers
ALso i will be using clean along with distortion

Amps i have looked into are Peavey XXX, 6505 plus or not(dont know the difference someone please explain , Mesa Boogie Dual or triple even if they dont make them like they used to as long as a sound amazing
i havent really looked anything else so any recommendations?

Budget: i dont want to spend more than $1200 on a head if i have too, so if i went with mesa i definently would go through ebay or craigslist id otn care if its brand new as long as it sound amazing

So far my mind is set on a Peavey 6505+ with a mesa boogie 4x12 cab so tell me if that would be any good

I also play in a band and record with protools 7.4
I use mainly two tunings Drop C DAFCGC and D Standard DAFCGD

I mainly use two guitars
ESP ltd dj-600(maybe soon to have seymour duncan blackouts)
Schecter Vengance custom(soon to have EMG 81b 85n)
im an active pickup guy

any comments are appreciated i dont want to buy something ill regret later
Thank you
Last edited by bfmvatreyurox16 at Oct 29, 2008,
just get a Marshall, there is a reason the metal heads swear by them.....cuz they work great. Save up but once ....instead of pissin about in the middle looking for the tone.
buy a line 6 spider 3, and a marshall mg. then a pod x3 live and run your guitar to both at once.

Ok, now to be serious, the peavey 6505 in my opinion is pure metal. If you ever decide to change your mind about your taste it will bite you in the ass.
In my opinion just go with a dual recto. You will not regret it.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Dude go with a Engl Powerball Or a Engl Fireball amazing metal tones. sounds sooo good and is better than mesa for sure.
What will you be doing with the amp?
Gigging? Just practicing?

BFMV and Trivium use the 6505+ heads with some sort of marshall cab if I remember right. Go for that if thats the tone you want.

REMEMBER, try them all, make sure you are making the right choice. If you love the tone today you may not tomorrow and thats an awful lot of money to make the wrong decision on. Music tastes change over time.

IMO, the 6505+ is pretty ****ing sweet. I have played the 6505+ halfstack and the XXX 2x12 combo. The XXX didn't quite hit the spot for me.

One thing, do you know how loud those ****ing things are?
It's insane how loud those tube amps are.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Hope I could help.
Quote by chrisa123
buy a line 6 spider 3, and a marshall mg. then a pod x3 live and run your guitar to both at once.

Ok, now to be serious, the peavey 6505 in my opinion is pure metal. If you ever decide to change your mind about your taste it will bite you in the ass.
In my opinion just go with a dual recto. You will not regret it.

No definently not getting another line 6 ive tried most i want the most out of my guitar no offense on line 6 users just not my kind of thing thanks though
Quote by coryklok
What will you be doing with the amp?
Gigging? Just practicing?

BFMV and Trivium use the 6505+ heads with some sort of marshall cab if I remember right. Go for that if thats the tone you want.

REMEMBER, try them all, make sure you are making the right choice. If you love the tone today you may not tomorrow and thats an awful lot of money to make the wrong decision on. Music tastes change over time.

IMO, the 6505+ is pretty ****ing sweet. I have played the 6505+ halfstack and the XXX 2x12 combo. The XXX didn't quite hit the spot for me.

One thing, do you know how loud those ****ing things are?
It's insane how loud those tube amps are.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Hope I could help.

All of the above gigging moving around just playing in a room recording

Thanks a bunch man ill look into marshall cabs not a fan of there heads but the cabs ill look into
Yeah your right but im a metal for life guy definently
Quote by 7stringkiller
just get a Marshall, there is a reason the metal heads swear by them.....cuz they work great. Save up but once ....instead of pissin about in the middle looking for the tone.

yeah there great just not for me ive tried a few
Quote by bfmvatreyurox16
All of the above gigging moving around just playing in a room recording

Thanks a bunch man ill look into marshall cabs not a fan of there heads but the cabs ill look into
Yeah your right but im a metal for life guy definently

You're welcome.
It looks pretty much like almost everyone said the 6505+ is the right amp for you.
Two more tips :
1. Sleep on it.
Play the first day buy the second. It assures you will make a good choice.
2.NEVER pay the price it is on, say, Musicians Friend.
The price can always go lower. I bargained this amp down from $1800 to $1350 a few weekends ago. Too bad i didn't have all my money.
Quote by 7stringkiller

Yeah, because everyone who plays metal use marshall >.> Why not be productive and actually suggest a model?

Quote by A Bad Guitarist
Lame band is lame...?

You're point?

TS: all the amps you're looking at are great for metal, the only to add is I'd go for a 2x12 cab so save some cash and make your rig a bit more portable.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by WeAreTheStrange
Dude go with a Engl Powerball Or a Engl Fireball amazing metal tones. sounds sooo good and is better than mesa for sure.

I was told about Engl thanks, wats a good site i can go to to check them out?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, because everyone who plays metal use marshall >.> Why not be productive and actually suggest a model?

You're point?

TS: all the amps you're looking at are great for metal, the only to add is I'd go for a 2x12 cab so save some cash and make your rig a bit more portable.

Haha thanks man same thing i was thinking on both those

Yeah i thought about that but i definently want to get a cab that ill stay with and be set for a long time and not worry about buying a new one or wanting to know what i mean? and make sure it will be loud enough too Thanks
I understand, but a 4x12 isn't gonna be any louder than a 2x12. You could get a better quality 2x12 than a 4x12 since a 2x12 has 2 less speakers (there's 200 bucks right there) and less wood. I think a oversized recto 2x12 would work great.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I understand, but a 4x12 isn't gonna be any louder than a 2x12. You could get a better quality 2x12 than a 4x12 since a 2x12 has 2 less speakers (there's 200 bucks right there) and less wood. I think a oversized recto 2x12 would work great.

Hmm alright im gonna try it out man thanks wat are some i should try out?
I've heard vader makes great cabs with lots of low end. Mesa's cabs are known for their low end. Pretty much any closed back oversize 2x12 ought to sound tight and give you good bass response.
Yeah go for a used Mesa recto, someone was selling one here for $320. I wish i had got that instead of my avatar, which was 300..
Quote by bfmvatreyurox16
No definently not getting another line 6 ive tried most i want the most out of my guitar no offense on line 6 users just not my kind of thing thanks though

was a joke
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
find a used peavey 5150 head, get it modded by Jerry at FJA and buy a 2x12 cabinet.
You'll probably regret the 4x12.
For cabs, i say Vader, Earcandy, or Mills Acoustic 2x12's.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
find a used peavey 5150 head, get it modded by Jerry at FJA and buy a 2x12 cabinet.

This guy has it

TS the 6505+ is the same as the 5150 II, just new its more expensive.

Grab a 5150 I or II and do this.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

Jerry? FJA?