I was wondering if anybody in these forums had some tips for improving my clean tone

i care more about my clean tone than i do my distortion tone, but i figured what whatever i can do to my cleans maybe i can apply it to my distortion and that'll help as well

anyways, here's a short video of my band playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2BECSaNEU

the gig was recent, last saturday in fact

I play a V3, and i have yet to have bought a reverb pedal, so i know that that's a huge part of my tone that i'm missing out on so far, but what else?
would a different EQ maybe suit my style of music better (my style is as played in the video)

I'd like to find a good medium between a good funky tone and a clean jazz tone, not too deep and warm but not too bright and trebley either
MUST....BUY.....MORE.......PEDALS.....!
cut back on the treble, boost the mids and slightly more bass, maybe get a 7 band eq pedal fool around with that.

another good way to fool ppl into tone tho, is a phaser pedal.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I think a rather flat EQ with a bit more mids would help.

I don't know the character of the V3, so that's as far as I can go with that.

A fender style guitar would be a good way to get a good funk tone.

Though to be honest, it sounded pretty good as is.
for the first part of the song i used the middle position on the pickup selector, both pickups
but then i switched it to my neck pickup when our bassist starts rapping

and thanks for the compliment despisedicon

we have myspace, wanna be our friend? myspace.com/dyslexiccrown
haha
i've been looking at the new american strats
those 22 fret ones that are 999 at GC
those play sweet
but i really also dig the es-335 style

would the strat suit me and my desired tones better than the es-335?

I'm a 22 fret guy btw, i feel limited with 21
Both would work quite well for your style, but they are very different, and describe more of a range of types of guitars you can look at. You could get the original, but you might find some of the brands outside of Gibson and Fender make similar models that you prefer. I'm not much of a fan of strat-type guitars, but instead of the ES-335, you might take a look at:

Taylor Hybrid
Parkwood Hybrid
Gretsch makes some nice stuff

This is where large guitar stores really come in handy for you to make comparisons. Also, since you want more pedals, consider getting a chorus.
I find the best clean tones come from putting a nice bit of gain on the channel so it is distorting then roll back the volume on the guitar. Just seems to give the tone more life.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
a real slight chorus and some slapback delay may do the trick for you.

also a pickup change may do you well. for a real glassy single coil tone in humbucker form is the Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell. That may actually help you out even more.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Oct 30, 2008,
yeah I consider my clean tone more important than my dirty one, I run either a LP or Sheraton II through an MXR Dyna Comp, a Marshall Echohead and a Boss CE-20, and a vox valvetronix in a clean setting. It gets really intresting. anyway im looking foward for a reverb pedal soon. I recomend you get the dyna comp. I would also like to get a strat for this setup, i consider the strat to have the best clean tone i had ever tried.
I don't know man, I saw the roots last year and their guitarist has the same type of tone and he uses a LP, I didn't notice a coil tap on it. Chorus and a little reverb would help, but I thought the tone was pretty good in the vid
Clean/treble boost pedal.

Reverb, chorus, or a little delay.

Single coils as well.

Or neck pickup.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
For my clean tone i actually like to SLIGHTLY scoop the mids. this is the only time I do that, or feel its applicable. idk if the V3 is naturally treble-y, bass-y or mid-y, but try the treble on 7 or 8, mids on 4 or 5 and bass on around 6.

this is what i have on my mesa and it sounds awesome.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
search soda stereo on youtube, i think gustavo cerati`s clean is what you are looking for, although you already have a very similar tone to his...

check this songs out

danza rota
cuando pase el temblor
nada personal
juegos de seduccion
Imagenes retro
sobredosis de tv LIVE

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by LaidBack
For my clean tone i actually like to SLIGHTLY scoop the mids. this is the only time I do that, or feel its applicable. idk if the V3 is naturally treble-y, bass-y or mid-y, but try the treble on 7 or 8, mids on 4 or 5 and bass on around 6.

this is what i have on my mesa and it sounds awesome.

funny you say that because i actually do scoop my mids for my cleans

treble - 8
mids-3
bass- 5
presence - 6

am i going about getting the "right" tone for my style of music wrong?

i remember going to the settings forum and it showed that john frusciante's setting on his amp had really scooped mids, down to 2 i think
its not like i'm looking for a frusciante tone, which is sitll rather sweet, i just wanted to model it after his tone since my style of playing is mainly influenced by the chili peppers
You're amp might already be a bit scooped, try upping your mids and see what you think. If all else fails a fender amp, a twin or somesuch, and a strat is pure funk to my ears.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
maybe a little more mids then. If not then just more trebel. maybe bass. idk, do you want a fat clean sound, the twang, the smooth? treb for twang, more bass for fat and all of them slightly even with a little more bass than mids, and more treb than bass for glass (is what i usually get out of that.)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hm, yeah, i want a fat but clear (non muddy) tone

like if i were to playing higher notes it wouldnt sound so thin, but it wouldnt sound too muddy or way too bassy for my lower notes either
yeah
best thing to do: set everything at 5 and see where you need to go from there. too thin? add bass. to "blunt" add some treble. and then add mids to taste, though you might need to add onto them once you get into a band situation.

i'd give you mine on my mesa, but its at home and im at school. i wanna say trebel at like 1 o'clock, mids at 11 o'clock and bass at noon. try those.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by parkerfly123
hm, yeah, i want a fat but clear (non muddy) tone

like if i were to playing higher notes it wouldnt sound so thin, but it wouldnt sound too muddy or way too bassy for my lower notes either
yeah

Sounds like you need more mids, the thin highs atleast. Maybe a clean boost too, I find that really thickens things up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by tamargoguitar
search soda stereo on youtube, i think gustavo cerati`s clean is what you are looking for, although you already have a very similar tone to his...

check this songs out

danza rota
cuando pase el temblor
nada personal
juegos de seduccion
Imagenes retro
sobredosis de tv LIVE

TG

wow my tone does sound kinda like his in a way
scary lol
i hear chorus and reverb in his tone though, which i totally lack, maybe thats the missing piece of a the puzzle, then i'll have a 70s shaft thing going on or something
Quote by Kevin Saale
Sounds like you need more mids, the thin highs atleast. Maybe a clean boost too, I find that really thickens things up.

lol, the last thing i need is a boost

V3s come with a massive boost of volume already, and the way i have my clean channel set up, my "drive" is on 7 and my volume is all the way up on the preamp
it matches the volume of my distortion channels though, but the preamp volume i use for those channels are just around 6-7

plus i set my amp to the 50 watt setting, in hopes of just getting more outta the amp in less volume, but apparently it just makes my clean channel break up earlier

so i won't say that my clean channel breaks up easy, but it sounds like its on the verge of doing that everytime i play,
like, it gets a real good punch every time i play chords all funky and stuff

think psychedelic sexfunk, chili peppers, frusciantes tone in the way early days
Okay alan cool....yea sure post up the video where I start the song out rushing a good 30 BPM. hahah..

this is embarrassing on my part. But all good...all good...hope you find the tone you want...

as I am STILL looking for a nice punchy bass tone with good slaps...
A strat with low out-put pickups. And a tube amp with a lot of headroom.