Page 1 of 2
I have been playing for 5 months
and i think im way above average(not to gloat)
i can play a lot of songs
i know a lot of theory
and a lot of techniques(finger tapping, alternate picking, tremolo picking)
and 4 scales in caged system
and 1 scale all the way down the neck
and nobody has ever said im making good progress

please just comment on the paragraph i have just wrote
not to burst your bubble but thats about average for the the people who work hard. dont get ahead of yourself you have alot you can learn
-Why do hunters need bullets that can pierce through bulletproof vests?
-Do I really have to spell this out for you?What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods and strap a bulletproof vest on a bear?Then whatve you got?Invincible bears (wkuk)
Quote by Echoplex
Um, do you want me to just comment, or is there a specific question you want an answer to (i.e. What else should I learn, Improve speed/technique/phrasing)?

well to be honest im losing motivation
?what? are you just looking for praise or something? this is not the place. and judging by that list, you sound about average to me, for the time you have played. you have a long way to go, pal.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by hoootlilboy
you think wrong, your average, what songs are you playing?

wind cries mary
hey joe
purple haze
(all including solos)
stairway to heaven(nearly got the solo)
november rain 1st and 2nd solos
knocking on heavens door 1st and 2nd solos
you shook me all night long (including solo)
and a lot of famous riffs

thats off the top of my head
Quote by merr08
wind cries mary
hey joe
purple haze
(all including solos)

yup about average
-Why do hunters need bullets that can pierce through bulletproof vests?
-Do I really have to spell this out for you?What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods and strap a bulletproof vest on a bear?Then whatve you got?Invincible bears (wkuk)
Quote by merr08
wind cries mary
hey joe
purple haze
(all including solos)

yeah your definately normal then haha. if your loosing motivation buy a new guitar. but it will take a while for you to get better.
all i wanted is for somebody to say your making good progress but here no its just yup average player nothing special
so im thiking of quiting
o yeah new guitar if got a strat already
Nobody said your no good. You're obviously just using playing the guitar as an object of attention whoring. Good job making a mockery of something myself and alot of other people around here cherish and hold dear as enjoyment and passion.

ass.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Nobody said your no good. You're obviously just using playing the guitar as an object of attention whoring. Good job making a mockery of something myself and alot of other people around here cherish and hold dear as enjoyment and passion.

ass.

lol i just wanted to know how my progress is going
i just felt like making an argument out of it pmsl

some people are so over sensitive
Last edited by merr08 at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by merr08
I have been playing for 5 months
and i think im way above average(not to gloat)
i can play a lot of songs
i know a lot of theory
and a lot of techniques(finger tapping, alternate picking, tremolo picking)
and 4 scales in caged system
and 1 scale all the way down the neck
and nobody has ever said im making good progress

please just comment on the paragraph i have just wrote

I bet you're reallly shit, people who think they're great always are.

There's a massive difference between knowing what something is and actually being able to do it properly. Writing a load of stuff down proves nothing other than the fact that you can read about stuff on the internet. If you want people to assess your playing then post a recording in the Riffs and Recordings forum and ask for crits.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If your not enjoying playing, then quit.

No one is making you play guitar, and the more you force yourself to practice, the less enjoyable it becomes.

As with alot of things in life, guitar skill is really only dependant on the amount of time and quality of this, that you spend practicing. Saying am i good for only playing X months means nothing.

Short answer: your not special, neither is anyone else. Get over it.
So you're thinking of quiting because you're not better then others that have been playing just as long as you? If you're playing guitar to satisfy others and not yourself then I think you're just wasting your time. You shouldn't be looking for people to compliment your playing and how good you are. If you feel you're at a good level, or feel like you've gotten furthur with it in that period of time then you first thought you would, then that should be what makes you happy. If you're really that concerned about what others think, and you want to satisfy them, then do it by working hard at playing. The musicians you see playing, and the ones you may look up to, have got where they're at by hard work.

This thread actually makes me think of this kid Joe I know. I met this kid last year through one of my close friends. My friend gets irratated by the way he acts, and I found out why after meeting him. He plays guitar and drums. This kid will throw a hissy fit if you dissagree with how good he is at playing, literally. Keep in mind that this guy is 18 or 19 right now. He's stopped talking to some of his friends because they weren't as good at guitar as he was, and he really isn't that good. I tried putting his ego aside and tried him out to be a drummer for a band we were trying to get together. We go to his house and he gets irrated if you don't sit there and just listen to him play, because he likes to have the spotlight. Needless to say, we didn't consider him at that time. We got desperate and called him up again to see if he's be willing to jam and see how things go. He says, 'Well, this time you guys can just sit here and watch how good I am at drums'. This time, I didn't show up there. I haven't even talked to him since.

/rant.
Quote by merr08
lol i just wanted to know how my progress is going
i just felt like making an argument out of it pmsl

some people are so over sensitive

I'm not being oversensitive, I just hate cocky shitheads like you. You're using guitar to full your little 14 year old ego.

You need a reality check little man.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
kid ur pathetic. Let me guess u want to play guitar so one day u can show up in front of ur highschool and play some song, become the "popular" kid. With that mindset, good ****ing luck. Ill tell you why. Ur music will have no damn soul what so ever. Sure u can get somewhere with good technique, but it only takes u that far. You need feeling to be a good guitarist. Stop using the guitar as a tool for popularity and respect.
Quote by simplekin88
kid ur pathetic. Let me guess u want to play guitar so one day u can show up in front of ur highschool and play some song, become the "popular" kid. With that mindset, good ****ing luck. Ill tell you why. Ur music will have no damn soul what so ever. Sure u can get somewhere with good technique, but it only takes u that far. You need feeling to be a good guitarist. Stop using the guitar as a tool for popularity and respect.

Big +1!

Only two people knew I played for the first couple of years. I didn't even want people knowing I played.
Quote by caraluzzo
So you're thinking of quiting because you're not better then others that have been playing just as long as you? If you're playing guitar to satisfy others and not yourself then I think you're just wasting your time. You shouldn't be looking for people to compliment your playing and how good you are. If you feel you're at a good level, or feel like you've gotten furthur with it in that period of time then you first thought you would, then that should be what makes you happy. If you're really that concerned about what others think, and you want to satisfy them, then do it by working hard at playing. The musicians you see playing, and the ones you may look up to, have got where they're at by hard work.

This thread actually makes me think of this kid Joe I know. I met this kid last year through one of my close friends. My friend gets irratated by the way he acts, and I found out why after meeting him. He plays guitar and drums. This kid will throw a hissy fit if you dissagree with how good he is at playing, literally. Keep in mind that this guy is 18 or 19 right now. He's stopped talking to some of his friends because they weren't as good at guitar as he was, and he really isn't that good. I tried putting his ego aside and tried him out to be a drummer for a band we were trying to get together. We go to his house and he gets irrated if you don't sit there and just listen to him play, because he likes to have the spotlight. Needless to say, we didn't consider him at that time. We got desperate and called him up again to see if he's be willing to jam and see how things go. He says, 'Well, this time you guys can just sit here and watch how good I am at drums'. This time, I didn't show up there. I haven't even talked to him since.

/rante.

wow you have reallt encouraged me
Quote by XianXiuHong
I thought I was good at 5 months, I took a video of myself and told myself I'd look back at it when I reached one year.

What an embarrassment I was.

ive just been talking to a man in a mudic shop and hes says dont consider yourself good until you have been playing for a year. but he also said its not based on how good you are its based on how much effeort and time you put it into playing the guitar and learning theory
Quote by steven seagull
I bet you're reallly shit, people who think they're great always are.

There's a massive difference between knowing what something is and actually being able to do it properly. Writing a load of stuff down proves nothing other than the fact that you can read about stuff on the internet. If you want people to assess your playing then post a recording in the Riffs and Recordings forum and ask for crits.

steven seagull in a lot of threads youu give very good advice but this is just terrible
Quote by l3p4rd
I'm not being oversensitive, I just hate cocky shitheads like you. You're using guitar to full your little 14 year old ego.

You need a reality check little man.

you are funny lool
Quote by merr08
steven seagull in a lot of threads youu give very good advice but this is just terrible

It not advice numbnuts, that's a reality check
Quote by JackalUK
It not advice numbnuts, that's a reality check

chill dude
Quote by l3p4rd
You're using guitar to full your little 14 year old ego..

Don't assume we 14 year olds are all like that. D:

Seriously, have pride in what you can do, but don't be so cocky. And NEVER be self-satisfied. That's when you lose all motivation and cease to progress. Play for what you can't do yet, not for what you can.
Quote by Rock Pig

Seriously, have pride in what you can do, but don't be so cocky. And NEVER be self-satisfied. That's when you lose all motivation and cease to progress. Play for what you can't do yet, not for what you can.

wow thanks i have a story that links to that actually
in a performance in music in school i got 24 out of 30 but i thought it should have been more but oh well... so my teacher said if i gave a near perfect mark you will have nothing to aim for so i think that is great advice
Quote by Rock Pig

What he said. And.......
Just remember: In this world, you'll never be the best, as there will always be someone better than you.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by GuitarGuy X
What he said. And.......
Just remember: In this world, you'll never be the best, as there will always be someone better than you.

true
Quote by merr08

that...is why you fail.

If you can't see sense in what I posted then you'll never get very far with the instrument
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Christ kid, if you need motivation get a teacher, listen to new bands, get an acoustic guitar, try something. It's always great to have a website full of guitarists critisize you, but you gotta remember that the entire world doesn't play guitar. If we are saying your mediocre, then don't worry about it. You do gotta learn one thing though; if your going to play guitar, you can't have an ego. At all. Every single good player I have met, myself included(people tell me), are some the most modest people I have ever met. All the sucky ones think they're really good.

Please make a recording, we can point out what spots you need to work on. And, again, I highly suggest a teacher;whenever I'm in a rut, I ask my dad to help me out with stuff.
meh
Quote by get ta led out!
Christ kid, if you need motivation get a teacher, listen to new bands, get an acoustic guitar, try something. It's always great to have a website full of guitarists critisize you, but you gotta remember that the entire world doesn't play guitar. If we are saying your mediocre, then don't worry about it. You do gotta learn one thing though; if your going to play guitar, you can't have an ego. At all. Every single good player I have met, myself included(people tell me), are some the most modest people I have ever met. All the sucky ones think they're really good.

Please make a recording, we can point out what spots you need to work on. And, again, I highly suggest a teacher;whenever I'm in a rut, I ask my dad to help me out with stuff.

ill post some videos on youtube on sunday
and ill post the link on this thread

ill post videos of wind cries mary, knocking on heavens door solo and novemer rain solo and me improvising on the spot so you can judge my good(if any) and bad points
Last edited by merr08 at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by merr08
ill post some videos on youtube on sunday
and ill post the link on this thread

very good idea. I myself just re-learned hey joe, so we can compare them.
meh
Quote by get ta led out!
very good idea. I myself just re-learned hey joe, so we can compare them.

yer lol
i understand how the ts feels. he needs to prove to himself that he is good because if he isnt there is no reason to play. am i wrong? i dont completely agree with this mentality because it is impatient but i can understand it.

im also guessing that most of the people who are paying him out are only doing so because they are resentful towards kids who have confidence in their limited abilities while on the other hand they dont have confidence in their own (most likely better) abilities.

leave your personal prejudices out of this and dont make this kid quit guitar.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Nov 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2