I used the searchbar, and didn't find anything useful.

I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, and I was thinking about getting pickups for it. I love how bright and punchy the tone is, however, I want it to sound a bit more like a Geddy Lee signature. I was wondering what pickups would be best to do this.

I would prefer if they were passive, but actives are cool too.

Thanks.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
I think a proper EQ through a decent amp will get you closer.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
M pickups just seem to lack "oomph", how can I use an EQ to fix that?

(That sounded like I was being rude, but I wasn't trying to.)
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
Get whatever pickups are in the Geddy Lee? The U.S. Vintage ones or whatever they are. But the Geddy for me always sounds way more aggressive and in your face than a normal Jazz. Some of that comes from the woods on it.
Yeah, the reason I got my bass is that it's got basically the same woods as the Geddy. There are two pickups I was looking at, the 60's J Bass pickups and then there were the Vintage Noiseless pickups.
Quote by musicianamedave

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
The pick-up spacing on the Geddy helps out too.

So what do you have for an amp and how are you currently EQed up.
Well right now I just have a shitty Kustom 10 watt. It has decent tone, but...

I think these pickups would work best.

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Custom-Shop--60s-J-Bass-Pickup-Set-301640-i1127532.Music123

Eh?
Quote by musicianamedave

Quote by filthandfury

YES.

I love The Pit.
And I'll also throw a word in for SCNs. Thefitz sings their praises as well as many other people. He'll probably be here to augment what I've said. The Deluxe American Jazzes I've played have been very nice however.

And cause he wanted me to...

Honestly, I would get a better amp before getting new pick-ups.

The amp is going to have a far more dramatic effect on tone that new pickups. Even those pick-ups.

EDIT: Not mention they are 160 bucks, and you going to be putting them in a Squier. You should really think about it if it's worth it. I would you invest that money in something else. (*cough*a new amp *cough*)
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 29, 2008,
Deifinitly agree with captian insaino. Get a new amp first. If you don't bileave me go to your local music store and play your bass through an ampeg then play a Geddy lee Jazz bass through your 10 watt amp and you will see what I mean.