So, now that i feel like I've developed very far into my technical playing, as well as general playing dynamics...

I've decided that it's time to start mastering the art of rhythm and time.

Can anyone recommend me songs (Metal, Funk, Reggae, Rock, Jazz, Flamenco/latin/Fusion but NOT classical) in which are simple (Not difficult with technique) but have difficult or interesting time signatures or rhythms.

Thanks a lot.
A lot of dream theater rhythems use unusual time signatures. Also, look into other prog bands as well as Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead songs ("Pyramid Song" is an all piano song, but it has one of the most difficult rhythems ever)
anything from trout mask replica
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
i leart from dream theater any symphony x

i believe learning odd time signatures comes through being able to read them when notated, if your playing by ear then the time sig is irrelevant, so read the dt and sx scores
Erotomania by dream theater has a 9/8 riff
YYZ by rush is 9/8 as well
The test that stumped them all intro by dream theater is 7/8 and 6/8 or 15/8 if that's right.
Octavarium by Dream Theater has a bunch of key and time changes.
Metropolis Part 1 has some nice time changes in the breakdown.
The Attitude song by Steve Vai is in 7/8
hue
The black page by frank zappa, while all in 4/4 will challenge your ability to play certain note groupings.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Porcupine Tree in general.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by roshjosh

Can anyone recommend me songs (Metal, Funk, Reggae, Rock, Jazz, Flamenco/latin/Fusion but NOT classical) in which are simple (Not difficult with technique) but have difficult or interesting time signatures or rhythms.

Quote by jackblsdaniels

Does not compute.
Quote by public property
The black page by frank zappa, while all in 4/4 will challenge your ability to play certain note groupings.

+1. Some time signatures like 9/8 can be awkward for sure, or catch you off guard or whatever, but there is so much in 4/4 that is a challenge just because of note groupings. For example, a rhythm with a power chord landing on the 2nd 16th note of a beat, or 9 notes squeezed into 2 beats, even simple stuff like quarter note triplets take a certain amount of feel. Tons of stuff to learn there without even touching unusual time signatures.
Quote by sock_demon

YYZ by rush is 9/8 as well

Maybe the pre-verse is, right after the intro, or the outro, but the main song is in 4/4 and the very intro's in 5/4.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by roshjosh

Quote by jackblsdaniels

Also does not compute. SymX>DT

+1 to what se*randomnumbers* said.
^ this post was completely unnecessary.

erotomania actually has a crazy amount of time signature changes, and not " a 9/8 riff" as has been mentioned. it goes from 2/4 to 5/4, to 9/8 to 11/8 and 5/8 and anything 8 or 4.

it's a great song to learn new chords too.

and oh, if you want polyrhythms, they're also there.
Last edited by RCalisto at Nov 8, 2008,
One of the best songs you could work on to help with playing in odd time signatures is Erotomania. It's honestly not that hard. It's one of the first DT songs that I learned and that was when I had only been playing for about a year. The only difficult part is the string skipping 16th note triplets at about 5 minutes in. Other than that, the song is quite easy.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by TheShred201
Look into music by Tool and Meshuggah.

Tool for sure if you want just some basic time changes and some odd structures with pretty simple guitar rhythms.
I will list some easy ones, because the vast majority are complex or have partial shifts in time signatures.

All You Need is Love by The Beatles has the Chorus in 7/4
Spoon Man by Sound garden has the verses in 7/4
Money by Pink Floyd is in 7/4 (the sax solo is in 7/4 but for the guitar solo it shifts to 4/4)
Paranoid Android by Radiohead has a change in 7/8
Echoes by Pink Floyd has a riff in 12/8
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I would just write riffs in odd times to work on it.

My bands new song I wrote without having any idea what time sig i was writing in, when I tabbed it out in GP5 it had over 50 time sig changes within 5 minutes. So it DOES become second nature after a while.

Protest the Hero has some good time changes.

Dillinger escape plan also does.

Dream Theater has time changes.

Tool is a MUST listen to.

Bloodmeat
Wretch
Schism
Vicarious
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!