I dont think so?
Ibanez GAX-70

Roland microcube

50 watt Marshall through 4-12 avatar cabinet.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. Cause life isn't that simple."
It depends on the technique you are trying to do. But I think for most, pick holding comes natural with practice. Are you asking about just strumming, though?
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Not really but if you think your picking style sucks then give this a go

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NOMn3P9AE

You dont have to turn the pick like he does but that way of picking is probably the most popular and gives you the most control.
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
my neighor just said has your teacher taught you how to hold a pick so i didnt know if i was holdin it worng or somthin
yeah.....you can hold the pick anyway you want, but most people agree that holding the pick inbetween your thumb and side of your pointer finger is the most effective way to hold the pick. Although it may seem more natural to hold it another way, you should try doing it the "correct" way. This is because later on you will want to play rhythm or lead patterns that will require you use a turning motion in your wrist instead of a strumming motion in your arm, and holding it like i discribed is the best way for that.
There is really no "right" way to do it. There are a few major styles and then everyone tweaks how it is done to meet their needs. Just experiment with what you like and find the grip that lets you play your best.
No, but there are easier ways. When I started I essentially made a fist and held the pick between my thumb and index finger, then wondered why I couldn't palm mute. One day on a hunch I opened the hand and and suddenly life was good.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Just basically however you feel comfortable
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
Tremolo picking gets harder if you don't have enough grip on the pick.
Pinched harmonics get harder if you're holding it in a way that capitalises on grip.
Find yourself a happy midpoint.
Like everyone else has said, there technically is no "wrong" way to hold your pick, some will provide you with easier palm muting while making it harder to do pinched harmonics, etc. It's all personal preference and what you feel is best for you.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Go to my profile and read my blog about it. pictures included
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=