http://www.mixerman.net/diaries_main.php

heres a great explination, it;s the diary of a sound engineer working on a major label release. Yes it's pretty long, but very worthwhile if you are considering going into the music industry

Also I wasn;t sure if this went here on in R&R or Musician talk so I put it here. Mods please move if neccesary, and yes i did a search.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Oct 29, 2008,
Too long, I'm not gonna read that. Seriously, I can't be bothered to read that, summary please?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by rollininrhythm
Because you touch yourself at night

Is the reason all the dinosaurs died.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by RocksAwakening5
Is the reason all the dinosaurs died.

They didn't die, they were taken in the dinosaur rapture by Jesusaurus.
Quote by oneblackened
TL;DR
Seriously, I can't be bothered to read that, summary please?

It's a production diary about all of the drama the bogs down modern record productions, it can't really be neatly summarised.

Quote by rollininrhythm
Because you touch yourself at night

But I don't touch myself at night, I have people to do that for me.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's a production diary about all of the drama the bogs down modern record productions, it can't really be neatly summarised.

Ah, Ok.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dinosaurs live! Roarr!!

But seriously, mainstream music has always been shit. It's just that you hear only the good songs of the past whereas the bad ones are forgotten by time and you get the impression that it was better before. My arse!
Quote by Alex Zyka
Dinosaurs live! Roarr!!

But seriously, mainstream music has always been shit. It's just that you hear only the good songs of the past whereas the bad ones are forgotten by time and you get the impression that it was better before. My arse!

Yeah, that's true, but if you actually read the link you'd know that's not really what I'm getting at.

Last.fm
ive never really eard anything. but if your really bothered by it, get satellite, its amazing
"These days, the mastering engineer views his job as one of placing an identifiable sonic imprint on the record. More importantly, his job is to be sure that the record is “loud.” So the mastering engineer proceeds to stamp out every last bit of dynamic range by using what is called a brick wall limiter. Imagine what would happen to you were you to be stopped at a high rate of speed by a brick wall. SPLAT! Well, it’s no different when music hits a brick wall. The music becomes flattened, all depth is removed, and all changes in volume are eradicated. "

This pretty much sums up every record produced in this decade.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Damn, i read the whole thing, and it wants me to buy the last 24 days. NOOOOO!! Oh the woes of not having a credit card!
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
so dinasours arnt a myth..damn guess i owe that scientist 50$
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Take out the locking nut on ur guitar man! That way u can tune whenever!

Quote by Karvid
Usernames are for the weak. I have never created a username in my life and I feel proud of that accomplishment.
There's a lot of good stuff on the radio.So it's not a bunch of blues rock bands doing unoriginal pentatonic solos and singing about their "baby". So what? Music execs have always had a huge role in mainstream artists, even as far back as the 50's.
Quote by agreth_3rd
for real?

Yep. The only credit card in our household is for Lowe's. We try to fix stuff and end up breaking more. It's a vicious circle.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I bookmarked it and I'll get around to it soon enough. Stuff like this is really interesting to me. I havent read it obviously but I think this is along similar lines. It was posted by someone in the punk forum, so cred to the original poster. I think it was original=punk or sargasm.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by cd>mp3
take that back!

Meh, I think they are massively overrated.
I like how he uses the word "kibitzing" a lot.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by watchingmefall
Yeah, and they suck.

Fail.

They sucked.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Dude, that's a work of fiction. I spotted that after skim reading five paragraphs. I don't think he's ever been inside a major recording studio. It reads just like a college level Creative Writing assignment. There's way too many senseless details and clever anecdotes for a work of non-fiction. And some of these things he's talking about just don't happen.

EDIT - The one from Steve Albini is pretty accurate though. There's a lot of bands out there making stupid decisions when they hear the words "major label".
Last edited by FlyingBeerman at Oct 31, 2008,