Are there ANY good Boss distortion pedals? I was, at one point, thinking about an MT-2. Then, everyone said they were sh*t.

So, are there ANY good Boss pedals for a hair metal style of distortion?

Just in case there's not, could I have some recomendations for a distortion pedal/amp for that style of distortion? Maybe something along the lines of Poison, Motley Crue, and Van Halen. Even Yngwie Malmsteen or M.A.B.

I know you all are going to say GET A TUBE AMP COMBO!

Well...you can't get much for $500, as far as I know. Yes, that is my budget, $500.

EDIT: I should probably try to get a new amp first! ( mine is an MG )
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 29, 2008,
Boss are great. Decades ago. Dont buy them unless they're the old models. Some of the models are bad from the start. eg. mt-2.

sansamp gt-2
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

500 bucks?
**** the JVM its overpriced
If you really wanna save for a british sounding roaring kill-all people amp, get a splawn QR.

If you want an amp for 500, look into

Used Peavey Ultra
Peavey Valveking with a speaker and tube swap
Used Mesa F-30
Used Mesa .50 caliber
Bugera 6260
I have a boss DS2, although it might not be what you're looking for since you want to play metal
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
my experience of boss distortion pedals is that if you use them on low gain settings in front of a slightly overdriven tube amp they are excellent because they have a very transparent sound which simply adds a different flavour to the distortion without doing much to the tone. on a clean setting, or with a solid state amp, you get a horribly harsh sterile tone. this only really applies to the generic distortion/overdrive units such as the DS-1 and OD-3 though, not those specialized for metal and such - avoid those at all costs.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Highwaytohell
500 bucks?
**** the JVM its overpriced
If you really wanna save for a british sounding roaring kill-all people amp, get a splawn QR.

If you want an amp for 500, look into

Used Peavey Ultra
Peavey Valveking with a speaker and tube swap
Used Mesa F-30
Used Mesa .50 caliber
Bugera 6260

yea or a used fender hotrod deluxe. wait, save your money. go tube. i used to use my spider. i used to love my spider. i bought a tube amp and now everything has changed.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
BOSS pedals sound great thru a tube amp...however...

A recent discovery is the Behringer Ultra Metal. Sounds KILLER. It has an excellent adjustable parametric mid-range that you can totally dial in...or scoop out. Very fat and tight tone.
I have a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion. It's great for Metal because it has great low end boost, but it isn't a metal exclusive pedal, you can get good ole hard rock distortion too.

I've been actually looking to get rid of the one I have because it's a bit too heavy for me, if you want I'll sell it to you. PM me if your interested.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
check out the Cool Cat Metal pedal, 40 bucks, blows the Boss MT2 away.

Still think a tube amp is you're best bet....i honestly think no distortion pedal can keep you happy, so i wouldn't pay to much for one.

Get the cool cat and put the rest of the money away for a tube! The holidays are coming