Hey guys, sorry if this is a very stupid question.
I was wondering how an Acoustic-Electric guitar sounds without an amp, because I would like a new acoustic guitar but if I can use acoustic-electric without an amp as well, I would prefer that an Acoustic-Electric since I can hook it up to an amp to have a larger sound.

Thanks
it depends on the kind of guitar you get. a full bodied acoust/elec. will sound just as good as acoustic. If you buy a shallow body, it will probably sound great through an amp but you will lose some volume and tone unplugged. so be more specific to the kind of guitar you want. Also you should just go to your nearest guitar store and play every acoustic and acoustic electric you can get you hands on and see for yourself if acoustic electrics are good. don't jsut depend on other people, there is no substitute for going to a store and playing every guitar. I think you'll find that you like acoustic electrics but don't take my word for it go try it yourself.
Last edited by fender03 at Oct 30, 2008,
Oh okay. Yeah, I'm not really sure what guitar I wanted to get, so since that's the case I'll look into a full bodied acoustic-electric guitar.

Hmm, how do you know if the guitar is full bodied or shallowed?
I'm looking into this kind of guitar since some UG members has recommeneded it:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-RD20SC-Regent-Series-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=518729

Is that a full bodied acoustic-electric guitar?

Thanks

Quote by fender03
it depends on the kind of guitar you get. a full bodied acoust/elec. will sound just as good as acoustic. If you buy a shallow body, it will probably sound great through an amp but you will lose some volume and tone unplugged. so be more specific to the kind of guitar you want. Also you should just go to your nearest guitar store and play every acoustic and acoustic electric you can get you hands on and see for yourself if acoustic electrics are good. don't jsut depend on other people, there is no substitute for going to a store and playing every guitar. I think you'll find that you like acoustic electrics but don't take my word for it go try it yourself.

Gotcha. I'll be sure to check out the store and play some guitars there before buying.
A full bodied acoustic is just... the size of a normal acoustic. Thin-body acoustics will be VERY thin. You'll know when you see it in person. And the companies will advertise it.

Yes it is. And a pretty good choice too.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah i just bought an acoustic bass. if you get the wooden one, make sure u have a hardshell case or a humidifier, trust me
unless you get the other one, i think ifs made of fiberglass or somethin, it wont warp