Tube is no better than solid state?

Not a rick roll. I promise.

I sense a flame war... I just figured you guys should read away though. Sure it won't prove anything, but it shows the band-wagons usually aren't 100% correct.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

I sense a flame war... I just figured you guys should read away though. Sure it won't prove anything, but it shows the band-wagons usually aren't 100% correct.

Of course they aren't. You can't prove opinions, not ever. Especially with something as subjective as the way something sounds.
You're*
the way things are going they could very well be the same. I mean, you listen to tube amps recorded on your bands cds right? I doublt anyone would get over 80% on blind testing between the 2.
Though what I do like about tube amps is the sound generally improves with volume.
I really think it is all preference....
I mean I understand it's an on going debate... but still if you like solid state.. it's your deal
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
After trying a peavey JSX through a cheap SS b-52 cab, i went over to the strat wall, pulled down a US standard, plugged into a vypyr (which has a JSX model). It was good but definitely not as good as the JSX.
Quote by Survivalism
Of course they aren't. You can't prove opinions, not ever. Especially with something as subjective as the way something sounds.

I agree 100%. Opinions are simply opinions. I saw a quote somewhere "Often times we guitarists listen with our eyes. . ."

Quote by GaijinFoot
the way things are going they could very well be the same. I mean, you listen to tube amps recorded on your bands cds right? I doublt anyone would get over 80% on blind testing between the 2.
Though what I do like about tube amps is the sound generally improves with volume.

Another very good point, between "studio magic" and how rough a live performance really is, the difference is slim at best. Even more silly is the "tube amps are louder" garbage...

Quote by Skierinanutshel
we need names of the designer and the 'golden ears' for credibility, or else that statement is pointless.

That's one way of not dealing with the discussion I suppose... discredit it?

Hurray for no flames!
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

i'm a chemist

but i do think the ss vs. tube debate is quite silly. its all up to personal taste, and if you prefer one over the other, than good for you, and you shouldnt let someone convince you one is specifically better than the other.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
I really think it is all preference....
I mean I understand it's an on going debate... but still if you like solid state.. it's your deal

Yep. I feel the same way too.
i used to be that kid who claimed there was no difference. I bought a line 6 spider III 150 watt ss head for my cabinet. I wish i had been more open minded and tried the peavy valveking or a few other amps i hadnt tried.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I agree 100%. Opinions are simply opinions. I saw a quote somewhere "Often times we guitarists listen with our eyes. . ."

Another very good point, between "studio magic" and how rough a live performance really is, the difference is slim at best. Even more silly is the "tube amps are louder" garbage...

Hurray for no flames!

lol, O RLY?'

Clearly you are a genius.
I love how you bash a bunch of people for being bandwagon jumpers, and base your opinion off a random paragraph from the internet. A little rash huh?
Seriously, you're embarrassing.
Last edited by tona_107 at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

no, it just shows you're an idiot.

comparing hi-fi amplifiers, where the object is to minimize distortion with guitar amps where the object is to use distortion to your advantage is ridiculous.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Tubes =/= solid state.

I don't understand this debate. They're two completely different things. Each has its advantages.
I like Def Leppard, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and Rush. Which SS amps do they use?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I like Def Leppard, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and Rush. Which SS amps do they use?

I don't see what your point is, but Alex Lifeson actually uses a H&K Zentera modelling head for lots of things.
Quote by scott58

If they jumped off bridges, would you? gg.

Quote by Flying Couch
Tubes =/= solid state.

I don't understand this debate. They're two completely different things. Each has its advantages.

If they have their advantages no one on this forum gives them their due credit.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
no, it just shows you're an idiot.

comparing hi-fi amplifiers, where the object is to minimize distortion with guitar amps where the object is to use distortion to your advantage is ridiculous.

Big man uses big font. Aren't solid state amps assaulted more for crappy clean channels than tube amps which get rave-reviews on how "warm" their clean channel is?
Quote by sargasm
I'll never buy another SS amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I'll never buy another SS amp.

Thats cool. Is your Peavy transtube amp a 10w 10" speaker?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Big man uses big font. Aren't solid state amps assaulted more for crappy clean channels than tube amps which get rave-reviews on how "warm" their clean channel is?

hey there mister gwumpy gills....

solid states do have their advantages, such as high-gain applications, and where picking dynamics are not of high importance (some jazz players). also, solid states tend to need less up-keep, and much less to maintain (and least likely to catch on fire lol)
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
No, you moron.

It isn't the fact they're Solid State. It's that some of them have shitty designs with input impedances that are to fucking low (sucking the highs by loading the pickups), or they use op-amps that have too low of a slew-rate, etc.

The Roland JC has excellent cleans. It's a well designed SS guitar amp.

Just because a SS amp CAN be a decent amp doesn't mean they all are.
Get a clue.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I like my grump thank you!

I duno. I keep wrestling with how people are saying solid-state are garbage, but my solid state works great. Sounds great. The only frustration I have with it, is how lonely I get playing by myself...

No fires yet. I'll let you know if it bursts!

*EDIT*

Riddle me this. Not all solid-states are perfect. But all tube amps are...

What a world you live in. You should learn how to act in public, it makes you much more enjoyable when you get some tact.
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

This would be worth debating if you actually knew anything about amplification.
Quote by tona_107
This would be worth debating if you actually knew anything about amplification.

Yes your completely unsupported claim matters so much. Good job.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Yes your completely unsupported claim matters so much. Good job.

You want proof? Here.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Another very good point, between "studio magic" and how rough a live performance really is, the difference is slim at best. Even more silly is the "tube amps are louder" garbage....

Honestly there are so many things wrong with that.
First of all it shows how little you know about how "loud" amps are, because if you knew anything, you'd know how unreliable and trivial power ratings are to judge how loud an amp is. (You probably don't even know what a power rating is)
It also proves that you don't know that it is completely true that tube amps WILL SOUND LOUDER. This all has to do with exponential distortion, how our ears detect sound differerently than other sensors etc, but there's no point in discussing it because you clearly won't understand a thing.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Riddle me this. Not all solid-states are perfect. But all tube amps are...
starting with an inherent advantages.
- devices that have extremely high input impedances.
- devices that have high slew rates
- devices that "clip gently"

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
What a world you live in. You should learn how to act in public, it makes you much more enjoyable when you get some tact.
it would make you much more enjoyable if you had the slightest idea what you were talking about, moron.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
The only frustration I have with it, is how lonely I get playing by myself...
i have little doubt you spend most of your time playing with yourself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
The debate is pointless. As already stated, it's all opinion. I'm not big on solid states, but look at the Vetta. I also think the Pantera tone was pretty descent, and that was Randall RG100ES, Century 200, RG100HT & a Warhead I believe. Pretty sure the Damageplan album is a Warhead as well.

I myself would rather have a higher-end tube amp, but that dosn't mean SS amps can't sound good too.
I don't understand eh? Get a decibel meter they can and will reach the same volumes. A tube amp will sound louder due to nuances in the waves it produces. However the decibel level reached is the same. That means they aren't louder.

You make a lot of assumptions. You should take a class on how to debate, you really make some bad choices.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
digi.... you've been reported for trolling. stop. you have your opinions, and others have theirs. stop

edit: please, lets just leave this be now.

Woa woa woa. I got reported for trolling? It's an article I've found for valid discussion. 2 guys have taken it to an aggressive point.

Whatever. lol...
Quote by sargasm
Quote by Skierinanutshel
digi.... you've been reported for trolling. stop. you have your opinions, and others have theirs. stop

edit: please, lets just leave this be now.
done, and DONE.

later, folks.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I don't understand eh? Get a decibel meter they can and will reach the same volumes. A tube amp will sound louder due to nuances in the waves it produces. However the decibel level reached is the same. That means they aren't louder.

You make a lot of assumptions. You should take a class on how to debate, you really make some bad choices.

Hahahaha ok man, nevermind, you're RIGHT.
PEACE.
lol Good job discussing things guys. Really mature.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Thats cool. Is your Peavy transtube amp a 10w 10" speaker?

it's 40 watts. It was my first amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD