Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking about buying a new Vox AC-15 with the standard speakers, not the Alnico Blues. Good tone, good buy?
I have a Marshall MG250DFX right now, but got to have a tube amp.
Comments, advice?
Yeah I have a Line 6 POD XT Live; and I'm wondering how the effects and amp modeling will sound through the AC-15. I know it won't play "hardcore metal", but im hoping it'll make them clearer with tubes. I guess I'd be run through the clean channel?
I love Vox, but their stuff is overpriced and there are better amps for what you want for less.

I'd recommend a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or, if you want to go cheaper, a Fender Blues Junior. Both sound excellent, plus their AB so they can get that a lot closer to that Marshally ballsy tone your genres love than a Vox, and with the right distortion pedal in front, it can also get that beautiful Marshall crunch.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
^HRD has terrible OD, Blues Junior doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. The Class of an amp, whether it be A or A/B, does not necessarily dictate its tonal character.

BTW, blues does not come from jazz.

Quote by Sk8erboi5229
I do Alternative/Rock, Classic Rock, and Christian. Plus I do parts in rap beats.

Christian music has its own tone?
Consider a used Line 6 Flextone III, it can get as light gain as you need to classic rock to whatever brand of alternative you play. Probably will make your POD obsolete.

Another good choice would be a Peavey Classic 30, excelling at cleans, light overdrive, and classic rock. It can also get a fair amount of gain going on, for that alternative sound. Run your POD straight into the effects loop to take advantage of the POD, so your amp isn't coloring it as much.

Look used for both of them, and you should find them for less than 450 bucks easy.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Oct 30, 2008,
^Hence the distortion pedal. And it'll sound more similar to a Marshall than a Vox(especially since original Marshalls were Fender copies.)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by forsaknazrael
^HRD has terrible OD, Blues Junior doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. The Class of an amp, whether it be A or A/B, does not necessarily dictate its tonal character.

BTW, blues does not come from jazz.

Christian music has its own tone?
Consider a used Line 6 Flextone III, it can get as light gain as you need to classic rock to whatever brand of alternative you play. Probably will make your POD obsolete.

Another good choice would be a Peavey Classic 30, excelling at cleans, light overdrive, and classic rock. It can also get a fair amount of gain going on, for that alternative sound. Run your POD straight into the effects loop to take advantage of the POD, so your amp isn't coloring it as much.

Look used for both of them, and you should find them for less than 450 bucks easy.

I guess I just want a tube amp, that is versatile. I like playing blues, but I love the kick in classic rock. I don't mind not having the high gain, hardcore tone; but just something versatile.
When I say Christian, I guess it could mean that the amp has to do almost every tone, cause every song is different. It's not like just one range, has to sound good in all cases.
My friend is selling a Peavey 5150 combo for $600; it's good for hardcore, but he says it's not too versatile, that's why he is selling it.
But yeah I have no idea what amp to get?!?
Well, clearly you haven't been listening to enough or enough classic rock. They really stray into each other tonal territory, and are not that different.

The 5150 is definitely not what you're looking for, although that's a decent deal.

The Flextone III will do what you want. It's a modeling amp, capable of blues, blues rock, classic rock, alternative, hardcore, and whatever else in between.
Since it sounds like you don't know exactly what tone you really need, I'd suggest that.
Tube amps are usually geared towards a certain tonal character, and do it well, and that's it. This can be changed with the addition of some pedals, of course.

Again, though, the Classic 30,with your POD, will do what you want. Your POD as TONS of tonal possibilities. Plug it into the effects loop return of the Classic 30 to use it as the preamp, to bypass the amp's built in preamp, so that way the modeling comes through as more clear, since the amp doesn't change its tonal character as much.

Two good options right there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, clearly you haven't been listening to enough or enough classic rock. They really stray into each other tonal territory, and are not that different.

The 5150 is definitely not what you're looking for, although that's a decent deal.

The Flextone III will do what you want. It's a modeling amp, capable of blues, blues rock, classic rock, alternative, hardcore, and whatever else in between.
Since it sounds like you don't know exactly what tone you really need, I'd suggest that.
Tube amps are usually geared towards a certain tonal character, and do it well, and that's it. This can be changed with the addition of some pedals, of course.

Again, though, the Classic 30,with your POD, will do what you want. Your POD as TONS of tonal possibilities. Plug it into the effects loop return of the Classic 30 to use it as the preamp, to bypass the amp's built in preamp, so that way the modeling comes through as more clear, since the amp doesn't change its tonal character as much.

Two good options right there.

Yeah I've done a little research on both of them, and I'm kind of leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30. Sounds like it's good; any reviews I've read said that it's very versatile, which is great. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a standby switch.
I'm bout to head to Guitar Center and physically check it out haha.
THANKS
My Music-
http://www.myspace.com/cam3r0nb
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Orange 1x12 cab and Crate 4x12 cab
- '04 Epiphone Les Paul Custom (White/Gold)
- Line 6 POD XT Live linked to a BBE Sonic Stomp
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Quote by necrosis1193
I love Vox, but their stuff is overpriced and there are better amps for what you want for less.

I'd recommend a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or, if you want to go cheaper, a Fender Blues Junior. Both sound excellent, plus their AB so they can get that a lot closer to that Marshally ballsy tone your genres love than a Vox, and with the right distortion pedal in front, it can also get that beautiful Marshall crunch.

I cant believe what im hearing.
the ac15 an overpriced amp for what it does.
hell no its not, if youve ever played trough a ac15 you now its not, not everything with tubes in it was built the same, the AC15 is by far not even comparable to a blues junior or an classic30, IMO there not even in the same ballpark. ANd since when cant an AC15 not do hardrock or alternative, or make a descent crunch.
HHHMMM lets see, i just went in to play one last day and im pretty sure there were no 600 dollar marshalls, that were as good, in those areas, or peavey valvekings, or fender HDR's, so what the hell are you talking about.
all you really need for the AC15 is a tubescreamer and your set.
I dont know why alot of peaple over look it just cause its not an AC30, its still capable of hardrock and punk, but its simply overlooked because its 15 watts and quite expensive for 15 watts, but never the less its the best product out there on the mainstream market that youll get more than your moneys worth.
I simply could not and would not buy a similarly classic 30 next to a AC15 just cause its 15 watts more, and its got two channels and overdirve, tone wise if you get a tubescreamer its just not worth it.
Try out both amps tough, C30 aint that bad, but it aint no VOX.
the only way youll know is when you play it, dont be afraid to crank the ****er, thats the way amps were meant to sound cranked, smooth, and overdriven.
the C30 and flextones are nice, better than alot of amps, but by no means is the AC15 overpriced or inferrior to those amps.
In many respects there inferior to the VOX.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 30, 2008,
Haha, decided yet Cam?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by THEKID546
I cant believe what im hearing.
the ac15 an overpriced amp for what it does.
hell no its not, if youve ever played trough a ac15 you now its not, not everything with tubes in it was built the same, the AC15 is by far not even comparable to a blues junior or an classic30, IMO there not even in the same ballpark. ANd since when cant an AC15 not do hardrock or alternative, or make a descent crunch.
HHHMMM lets see, i just went in to play one last day and im pretty sure there were no 600 dollar marshalls, that were as good, in those areas, or peavey valvekings, or fender HDR's, so what the hell are you talking about.
all you really need for the AC15 is a tubescreamer and your set.
I dont know why alot of peaple over look it just cause its not an AC30, its still capable of hardrock and punk, but its simply overlooked because its 15 watts and quite expensive for 15 watts, but never the less its the best product out there on the mainstream market that youll get more than your moneys worth.
I simply could not and would not buy a similarly classic 30 next to a AC15 just cause its 15 watts more, and its got two channels and overdirve, tone wise if you get a tubescreamer its just not worth it.
Try out both amps tough, C30 aint that bad, but it aint no VOX.
the only way youll know is when you play it, dont be afraid to crank the ****er, thats the way amps were meant to sound cranked, smooth, and overdriven.
the C30 and flextones are nice, better than alot of amps, but by no means is the AC15 overpriced or inferrior to those amps.
In many respects there inferior to the VOX.

600 dollars for a 15 watt amp? No thanks. It's that good sounding of an amp (peg it at maybe 350, and I might it's decent), and it certainly isn't an AC30 in a smaller format, as some people may mistakenly think. It's overpriced. Deal with it.

I would take either the Flextone or the Classic 30 over the AC15. The AC15 is lacking in features, headroom, and is just a poor value overall.

Quote by Sk8erboi5229
Yeah I've done a little research on both of them, and I'm kind of leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30. Sounds like it's good; any reviews I've read said that it's very versatile, which is great. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a standby switch.
I'm bout to head to Guitar Center and physically check it out haha.
THANKS

Standby switch isn't that big a deal. Certainly not something to count against an amp.
The Vox AC15 is not really a smaller version of the AC30, they sound pretty different.

Although I will say some of you guys obviously have never played or even heard it seems, a Vox AC15 in person.

A Fender Hot Rod deluxe sounds closer to a Marshall? Are you kidding me? Thats about as far from a Marshall as you can get.
^^im not saying its an AC30 all im saying is its overlooked cause its not. and it shouldnt.
And its not about wattage for me its about tone, and then ill look into wattage.
If its about wattage then why the hell do you see 5 watt amps selling for 1k, like a DR.Z or a lionheart Laney.
You cant say that a 15watt crate or BJ is just as good becuase its the same wattage, thats just complete horse manure, and a really stupid way of looking at it.
For 15 watts it gives you really good cleans and more headroom than youd expect from a 15 watter, if you got a PA then its just awesome and completely destroys higher wattage amps as far as tone goes and cleans go.

and other than that its really sweet to get into overdrive and that light overdrive because its 15 watts and while its still emensly loud, its not ganna blow your eardrums out or be heard 20 houses down.
it will be heard in the room your in, in every corner tough with great power and thats all that matters. the C30 isnt bad, but i just dont understand how you can say its better than the AC15, wich was BORN 40 years ago in the middle of all that classic rock and blues wich we try to emulate today.
By its self yes i can understand why alot of kids or people who are used to gain on tap might think its worthless, but with a good overdrive pedal, and maybe a distortion, its just pure TITS.
Just TITS. nothing in the same price range compares.

^and yes it seems like none of these guys have played and AC15.
like I said in my honest opinion, the best amp in the mainstream market for the money.
all you gatta do is plug in the guitar and hear a note of that sweet reverb and you know quality wise its just awesome.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
600 dollars for a 15 watt amp? No thanks. It's that good sounding of an amp (peg it at maybe 350, and I might it's decent), and it certainly isn't an AC30 in a smaller format, as some people may mistakenly think. It's overpriced. Deal with it.

usually I don't have anything negative to say with your posts...

but $600 for a 15 watt amp isn't too bad. Think of the marshall clone 18 watter that are going for $1500+

I think the AC15 is a pretty sweet amp. It has a nice clean sound and the distortion is good for a lot of styles. Will it do death metal? no way dude, but if anyone is looking at the AC-15 they know what styles it is good for and what styles to use it for.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
usually I don't have anything negative to say with your posts...

but $600 for a 15 watt amp isn't too bad. Think of the marshall clone 18 watter that are going for $1500+

I know what you mean, but the AC15 they have out now isn't that great. Those 18 watters aren't in production anymore (well, there's the uber expensive Marshall reissue) so the demand is higher.

Quote by JLT73
I think the AC15 is a pretty sweet amp. It has a nice clean sound and the distortion is good for a lot of styles. Will it do death metal? no way dude, but if anyone is looking at the AC-15 they know what styles it is good for and what styles to use it for.

My main point being that there are several other amps, that IMO, sound just as good, or better, and are more versatile. AND they're cheaper. Now, the handwired AC15 sounds fabulous. The CC series...not so much.

Quote by THEKID546
^^im not saying its an AC30 all im saying is its overlooked cause its not. and it shouldnt.
And its not about wattage for me its about tone, and then ill look into wattage.
If its about wattage then why the hell do you see 5 watt amps selling for 1k, like a DR.Z or a lionheart Laney.
You cant say that a 15watt crate or BJ is just as good becuase its the same wattage, thats just complete horse manure, and a really stupid way of looking at it.
For 15 watts it gives you really good cleans and more headroom than youd expect from a 15 watter, if you got a PA then its just awesome and completely destroys higher wattage amps as far as tone goes and cleans go.

and other than that its really sweet to get into overdrive and that light overdrive because its 15 watts and while its still emensly loud, its not ganna blow your eardrums out or be heard 20 houses down.
it will be heard in the room your in, in every corner tough with great power and thats all that matters. the C30 isnt bad, but i just dont understand how you can say its better than the AC15, wich was BORN 40 years ago in the middle of all that classic rock and blues wich we try to emulate today.
By its self yes i can understand why alot of kids or people who are used to gain on tap might think its worthless, but with a good overdrive pedal, and maybe a distortion, its just pure TITS.
Just TITS. nothing in the same price range compares.

^and yes it seems like none of these guys have played and AC15.
like I said in my honest opinion, the best amp in the mainstream market for the money.
all you gatta do is plug in the guitar and hear a note of that sweet reverb and you know quality wise its just awesome.

It's not that great an amp for the price. Hell, I wouldn't even buy a Blues Junior brand new. BTW, the AC15 out now, the CC one? Not same circuit was the classic AC15. You want that circuit, go buy the handwired one. Get your facts right.

BTW, Dr. Z amps are boutique amps, of course they're expensive. Would I buy one? No. It's all about VALUE. And the AC15CC is a poor choice, when you consider all the other amps in the same price range.
For the same price, or much less:
Peavey Classic 30: 250 - 450 used, 600 brand new
Traynor YCV40WR: 300-500 used
Traynor YCV50 Blue: 400-550 used, 650 brand new
Traynor YCV20: 300-400 used
Crate V18, V33, V50: 200-350, brand new
Fender Blues Junior: 250-350 used
Line 6 Flextone III and II: 250-450 used, sometimes including the FBV pedalboard
Randall RG50TC: 550 brand new
Peavey Valveking: 400 brand new
Fender HRD: 400 used
Peavey Delta Blues: 350-450 used, around 600 brand new

I could go on and on....All these amps sound great too, and have more features. MUCH better value.
Yeah I went down to Guitar Center today and tried out many amps with my type of guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Custom). And the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue wins over them all with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe right on it's heels.
They both had great tone, AMAZING Cleans, and it can do good gain with the right pedals. Plus it's Fender.
I tried out the Vox AC15 and wasn't too impressed. It sounded great, but it only had one channel with no gain knob, so you were kind of stuck with that British gain tone if you wanted to play loud, but it sounded great don't get me wrong, just not super clean.
I also tried the Peavey Valveking, wasn't too impressed with that combo. I guess if you played with it for a bit, it would be cool.
But ya, when I sell my Marshall MG250DFX; one of those Fenders is amp I'm probably going for, unless ya'll have any advice against that?
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the Blues Deluxe is a good amp, much better than the HRD. I can't stand the OD on the HRD at all.

No Classic 30's?

Naw they didn't have any. I did go to another local music store with the same prices and they had a Peavey Classic 50 for like $850, but if I did get that it would be the 30 (cheaper and lighter). I'd definitely want to try it out before I bought it.
Still saying the Fender is my favorite for now, unless ya'll can convince me otherwise haha.
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Kid, please learn how to type, I honestly can't and won't read through your entire posts when it's in crap gibberish like that. Also, the ac15 they're putting out now is not the same as a classic.

The AC15 isn't that great, and I agree that the classic 30 and BJ are better amps. No, I don't expect it to sound like an AC30, but I do expect it to sound good, especially for the price. For me to buy a 600 dollar 15 watt amp it needs to wow me, the ac15 does not wow me. Maybe it wows you, but I'm unimpressed.

Edit: and wow, forsak already said that, I fail.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Kid, please learn how to type, I honestly can't and won't read through your entire posts when it's in crap gibberish like that. Also, the ac15 they're putting out now is not the same as a classic.

The AC15 isn't that great, and I agree that the classic 30 and BJ are better amps. No, I don't expect it to sound like an AC30, but I do expect it to sound good, especially for the price. For me to buy a 600 dollar 15 watt amp it needs to wow me, the ac15 does not wow me. Maybe it wows you, but I'm unimpressed.

Edit: and wow, forsak already said that, I fail.

I don't know who you're talking to, I type perfectly fine. But I agree with everything else you said.
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Quote by Sk8erboi5229
I don't know who you're talking to, I type perfectly fine. But I agree with everything else you said.

Sorry, talking to the guy who's username is kid, THEKID546 it is. Sorry for the confusion.

That guy really gets on my nerves though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Sk8erboi5229
Naw they didn't have any. I did go to another local music store with the same prices and they had a Peavey Classic 50 for like $850, but if I did get that it would be the 30 (cheaper and lighter). I'd definitely want to try it out before I bought it.
Still saying the Fender is my favorite for now, unless ya'll can convince me otherwise haha.

Haha, yeah, the Classic 50 is a 4x10" combo amp. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed that speaker combo.

Have you looked on your local craigslist.org listing? I always suggest buying used, makes your dollar go much further.
Yeah there are a few for like $350 in the area. If I do go for one of those, I'd have to try one out somewhere first, before I went to buy it. I have to tell you though, that Fender has got me haha.
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
True, but how is the clean compared to fender?
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
Yeah I don't know, I'll compare um at the shop when I go to buy it, cause I like both amps for various reasons.
My Music-
Gear
- '09 Orange Rocker 30
- Ibanez V70CE (Black)
I hate being the only one who likes the AC15
It's such a great little amp if you change the speaker. The character is nothing like the AC30, so I can see how you'd be disappointed if you went in expecting that, but I really like the response and tonal range you can get just by finding the sweet spot with the EQ and volume and then doing the rest from the guitar.
They do hate pedals though.
Quote by Roc8995
I hate being the only one who likes the AC15
It's such a great little amp if you change the speaker. The character is nothing like the AC30, so I can see how you'd be disappointed if you went in expecting that, but I really like the response and tonal range you can get just by finding the sweet spot with the EQ and volume and then doing the rest from the guitar.
They do hate pedals though.

I like it too. As a matter of fact it will be my "practice" amp.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I dunno but i myself have got a VOX DA15

And its not that much different except that there are more AC's in the world then there are DA's

And i got to say i hated this amp when i startted but now i just love it.
The sounds is really great clean.
Only thing that kinda sucks...
Is the standard pre-sets, I've bought an extra pedal just to gdet the distortian i wantted.
Besides that it's really a great box of sound !

I hope i maybe helped with your choice :P
Sorry, the DA15 is completely different than the AC30. They're made by Vox, and they're 15 watts. Those are practically the only similarities between the two.
I think the HW AC15 head is a pretty decent amp, but I'm not too found of the Custom classic version. Just my opinion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's just really expensive for what it is, IMO. Lower to 350, and I think it would be a better value.

Yah i know what you mean.
But either way I still dont agree that BJ or V30 is just as good, cause its not.
But yah they are quite expensive for 15watts, and i figure that its just one of those amps that if you play youll have to decide for yourself if its worth the extra 300 bucks.
I think it is, and I am ganna buy it over the C30 or V33 or BJ cause i like the cleans better while the Dirty side of it leaves something to be desired compared to a C30 ill probly get a BOX of ROck and maybe a tubescreamer.

I think if the AC15 didnt have a reverb tank as good as its(not all reverb was made the same) and no tremolo, and just the top boost then yah its great for 400 bucks and I imagine alot of people would buy alot more ac15 just for the sheer tone.

As far as the features go its limited, but with what you have onboard its a surprise how many tones you can get out of this thing. I think vox has made one of the best amps in the market for the money, its a really good overseas amp far surpassing its other Chinese counterparts, and altough its made in china(or vietnam) and the price is high, imagine if this thing werent made in china, it would be selling for 1000 easy with the same quality parts. Vox dosent cheap out on its overseas products as much, unlike Fender or Crate or Bugera. Imagine that, not cheaping out on an amp when its only ganna cost you a few more dimes to do so and make a better amp for the consuper in the process, what an Idea.

If alot of these new made in china amps like Bugera or Crate actually used good materials for there amps, sure theyd cost an extra bill or two or three, but they would still be cheaper than there western counterparts and IMO better than them aswell without sacrificing quality and alot better than they are now. Alot of these other companies should take a lesson from Vox in this aspect.

To TS the Classic 50 is bomb and you can find one on craigslist for 500 bucks easy if you dont like the AC15 then that amp is pretty good for what you want it for.
Id also say look into a Deluxe Reverb altough it dosent have OD its just as TITS as the AC15.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 31, 2008,
Page 1 of 2