So my Safety/I.M is due at the end of this month (Friday.) So I asked my mom who she takes her beat up truck to, as it shouldn't pass, but it does, so I figured my 2000 Mustang would have no problem. She referred me to her friends shop, and I gladly went, thinking he'd help me out. I get there today and said that I need the Safety/I.M done and he says he doesn't do it its his boss. Sooo I say alright cool, and let them get on their way. They do the test, and after they are done he calls me out and says that my headlights are tinted and not DOT approved (Bullshit IMO), and that in order for me to get passed I'm going to have to pay him $20 under the table, on top of the $50 for the tests. As he already did the tests, I couldn't very well leave (could I? I mean he DID have my car and wouldn't release it till I paid either $50 for a fail or $70 for a pass) so I did what I felt was the only option. I payed him the $50 for the tests, and the $20 under the table bribe. Now this goes heavily against my morals, but I figured for a pass on my safety, its a price I can live with. So as some of you know, I've been pulling a SAI trouble code, and I erased that today so that it would pass (sneaky sneaky... I thought) they said that I need to drive the car till all but 2 ECU monitors are ready/good. So I did that today, all but the EVAP and the SAI are ready/good, those two are not ready, so If all but 2 pass then I'm good as long as the trouble code doesn't come up. I'm scared to drive at all so that the light doesn't come back on. I'm also scared that he will fck with my sniffer test so I can't pass that either. If I wasn't in $70 already, I would definitely just go somewhere else, but I can't get my money back, I'm scared of getting ripped off again by him saying that the sniffer won't pass. What can I do? Is there a way he can tamper with my exhaust test and say that I need to do something else? How can I know I'm not being screwed over on this part?
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
im not even gonna read that shit. probably something about aftermarket shit affecting your inspection. solution: stop adding stupid shit to your car to compensate for its...err. shortcomings
This is a guitar forum, not a car forum...
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Care to give us a glossary of terms and acronyms? All jargon to me.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ollieyoufool
So my Safety/I.M is due at the end of this month (Friday.) So I asked my mom who she takes her beat up truck to, as it shouldn't pass, but it does, so I figured my 2000 Mustang would have no problem. She referred me to her friends shop, and I gladly went, thinking he'd help me out. I get there today and said that I need the Safety/I.M done and he says he doesn't do it its his boss. Sooo I say alright cool, and let them get on their way. They do the test, and after they are done he calls me out and says that my headlights are tinted and not DOT approved (Bullshit IMO), and that in order for me to get passed I'm going to have to pay him $20 under the table, on top of the $50 for the tests. As he already did the tests, I couldn't very well leave (could I? I mean he DID have my car and wouldn't release it till I paid either $50 for a fail or $70 for a pass) so I did what I felt was the only option. I payed him the $50 for the tests, and the $20 under the table bribe. Now this goes heavily against my morals, but I figured for a pass on my safety, its a price I can live with. So as some of you know, I've been pulling a SAI trouble code, and I erased that today so that it would pass (sneaky sneaky... I thought) they said that I need to drive the car till all but 2 ECU monitors are ready/good. So I did that today, all but the EVAP and the SAI are ready/good, those two are not ready, so If all but 2 pass then I'm good as long as the trouble code doesn't come up. I'm scared to drive at all so that the light doesn't come back on. I'm also scared that he will fck with my sniffer test so I can't pass that either. If I wasn't in $70 already, I would definitely just go somewhere else, but I can't get my money back, I'm scared of getting ripped off again by him saying that the sniffer won't pass. What can I do? Is there a way he can tamper with my exhaust test and say that I need to do something else? How can I know I'm not being screwed over on this part?

Not the place for this. Go to yahoo answers. they an help you with this better than we can
Quote by gtdude114

its the pit..............

nonetheless. way too much writing
he could **** up teh catalytic converter
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Am I the only one who doesn't know what the fuck any of that means?

EDIT: Apparently not
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Translation: The bad guy at the shop held my car hostage unless I gave him money, now I'm in 70 bucks and scared he's gonna rip me off again for the rest of the test.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Dude he sounds pretty shady, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him but it sure sounds like your options at this point are somewhat limited; anywhere else you can take it if he starts "discovering" problems?
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Denthrare
Dude he sounds pretty shady, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him but it sure sounds like your options at this point are somewhat limited; anywhere else you can take it if he starts "discovering" problems?

OH THANK THE GOOD LORD! SOMEONE WHO'S NOT AN IMBECILE! And yes I do have a secondary shop that I can take it to. I feel like a moron for not taking it there in the first place, but I guess it's a good life lesson. Yeah if he starts discovering problems I will take it to my other shop to look at it, and they are very honest, but my mom said they would do it for free at her place. HA! What a joke.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Karma man, it's what you get for trying to pay him off in the first place. When he threatened to hold your car, you should have told him that you'd report him for trying to get some bribe money.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Life lesson is right, if he's anything like the mechanics I've dealt with he'll not only take the $70, he'll try his hardest to tack on some bull labor charge or something of the like.

But yeah put it your position I'd get the heck away from that guy. Reminds me of when my Civic got brought in for an oil change and suddenly needed a massive stilt overhaul. Thank God for extended warranties or the extortion would've come out of my pocket or not at all.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by gtdude114

No, this is the Pit.
The forum for all things that AREN'T guitar related.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by ifeastonbums
Karma man, it's what you get for trying to pay him off in the first place. When he threatened to hold your car, you should have told him that you'd report him for trying to get some bribe money.

I didn't OFFER to bribe him, in fact he said he'd fail me if I didn't bribe him. So your argument is moot. He also told me he'd hold the car till I either payed for the fail, or bribed him for the pass, either way I'd be screwed.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
Translation: The bad guy at the shop held my car hostage unless I gave him money, now I'm in 70 bucks and scared he's gonna rip me off again for the rest of the test.

Copy off the smart Asian sitting next to you.
Member of the Laney Cult
Why the hell did you put tinted headlights in your car? (please tell me they're not those retarded fake HID bulbs. And why didn't you just put the original ones back in before you took the car in. Anyway for an emissions check they pretty much just stick a sensor in your tailpipe and let it run for 20 minutes or so, so there's not too much they can do there.

Denthrare: What the hell is a stilt overhaul? I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on cars and have never heard of that one.
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
Wow learn to wright stuff that doesn't suck.

irooooonyyyyyy
I hadn't either but I'm 80% positive that's what he said. I would have made more of an issue of it if I had had to pay for anything, but as I said, thank God for warranties.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Blaster Bob
Why the hell did you put tinted headlights in your car? (please tell me they're not those retarded fake HID bulbs. And why didn't you just put the original ones back in before you took the car in. Anyway for an emissions check they pretty much just stick a sensor in your tailpipe and let it run for 20 minutes or so, so there's not too much they can do there.

Denthrare: What the hell is a stilt overhaul? I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on cars and have never heard of that one.

No, they aren't tinted, they are clear corner lenses with an amber bulb, but they were put on the car way before I bought it. I bought it like that and it passed last year no problem. they are completely clear and are normal mustang headlights, just clear instead of yellow which is legal with an amber bulb, but he said they were tinted in his opinion and were unsafe without a little bonus cash in his pocket.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
If you're describing what I think you're describing, you got conned out of $20. Did you walk in there looking like a rich bastard?
Yeah, you're getting conned alright...

Maybe you could get a dummy sensor to replace the one throwing the code?

This is one of the big reasons I love Arkansas...there are no vehicle inspections whatsoever. My Neon hasn't had a catalytic converter for over a year now, and my little brother's truck has about 3' of exhaust tubing coming from the header....no cat OR muffler.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Ollieyoufool
lie down with pigs and you wake up smelling of garbage.

my guess is, when all is said and done, you'd have been better off playing it straight and keeping your car in spec.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by BigBrownBeaver
Wow learn to wright stuff that doesn't suck.

Quote by BigBrownBeaver
I get what hes writting, its just a piece of shit all together.

That's one of the more amazing things I've ever seen.
You're*
go to your mom, since its her friends shop
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist