Page 1 of 4
ok so i'm building a firebird studio. for a woodwork project at school. considering i need something that shows the grain and the wood for the body is mahogany, what sort of finish should i put on it? Pictures soon!
I can't remember what its called, its like see thru paint...

Anyway, what are your plans for the guitar? What wood, hardware, neck? Are you making the body and the neck? etc etc...
Hey you live in Eden, I hate that place. How you're not already dead of boredom I do not know.
Clear coat? I don't know alot about finishes
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by guitarcam123
Anyway, what are your plans for the guitar? What wood, hardware, neck? Are you making the body and the neck? etc etc...

i'm making the whole thing, including the neck. I went for traditional woods for the body and neck - mahogany and maple but for the fretboard i'm using wenge. basically the same hardware as a regular studio except black speed knobs,locking strap pins, inbuilt distortion effect and an oval jack plate. Chrome hardware.
Last edited by country bumpkin at Oct 31, 2008,
I like an oil finish to show off the grain. Some nice danish oil and some beeswax looks fabulous. But, do refer to that link. It has loads of vital info
Update: Just got a quote from a timer supplier in sydney. They have only bcksawn wenge boards (i had hoped to use this for the fretboard). they also suggested some african walnut (quartersawn) and backswn ebony. The piece of ebony is a bit warped, however. (although it is a 1 metre long board and i could work around it).

for those not in the know, quartersawn timber is taken from the straightest part of the log, and has the straightest grain. backsawn timber (like the wenge board) is much curlier.
wats the 5th knob for?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Good to see another aussie on the forums, try Tru-oil as a finish, durable and you can get a nice sheen out of it, search on project guitar for heaps of info on it. I might want to move that knob(in your diagram) on the far left away from the edge of the guitar if i were you though. Do you have all the appropriate tools to build the neck? theres a fair bit involved
ill be definatly watching this, good luck
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
thanks for the advice. It gets a bit tight between the pickguard and the edge of the body when you add an extra knob. To answer ihavenoname93's question, the extra knob is for the distortion effect. I'm using an effect called a modboard, specifically designed to fit inside a guitar. It requires two pots (volume and gain) and an on/off switch. one of the pots will have a seconday push/pull mechanism, which will be the on/off switch. this leaves the guitar with two tone controls and a volume control. Confused yet? as for the tools to build the neck, our school workshop has everything I need (spokeshaves, fretsaws, sanders, bandsaw, routing table ect.) Here's a pic of the modboard:
Attachments:
AM1_Layout.jpg
Last edited by country bumpkin at Nov 17, 2008,
I'm so envious man - My school woodwork project was a coldframe!

Are you sure you'll have the time to make a good job of it in school though? If it was me I'd do just the woodwork in school and do as much as possible (soldering, setting up etc ) at home or out of hours.
yeah i was planning on doing that. We have about 8 months to build it so i think i should have time. otherwise i can always come in at lunchtimes, free peiods ect ect.
i had my body done in 2 weeks, going in every day for a period. i've never taken a shop class, so I'm sure you'll be able to work a lot faster and more efficiently than i did.
------

Shwiggity.
no, I only had 2 weeks in the shop, If I'd had another two weeks I would have.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by country bumpkin
o.k over the last two weeks i made a series of jigs (body, pickup holes, pot holes etc). i also completed the plans for the front of the guitar.

I've always vehemently loathed the Firebird shape, but somehow that looks....different, and good. Did you modify the shape at all? Maybe it's the cool headstock, hmm...either way, it looks rockin'
Quote by country bumpkin
i changed it a little... i mean, it's a custom guitar right? you might as well make it different.

Good deal, I thought it looked better/different!
Quote by country bumpkin
thanks for the advice. It gets a bit tight between the pickguard and the edge of the body when you add an extra knob. To answer ihavenoname93's question, the extra knob is for the distortion effect. I'm using an effect called a modboard, specifically designed to fit inside a guitar. It requires two pots (volume and gain) and an on/off switch. one of the pots will have a seconday push/pull mechanism, which will be the on/off switch. this leaves the guitar with two tone controls and a volume control. Confused yet? as for the tools to build the neck, our school workshop has everything I need (spokeshaves, fretsaws, sanders, bandsaw, routing table ect.) Here's a pic of the modboard:

If you're going to have two pickups, you should use a master tone+two volume knobs, it'll give you better tone control.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
well 5 knobs, 2 vol, 2 tone. 1 dist oh wait theres 2 knobs for the distortion, 2 vol 1 tone
Anyway, for future reference when posting pics, load them in a photobucket account and then put the link inside (Invalid img)
What pickpups are you using, have you mentioned that yet? This is going to look good
thanks 4 the pic advice, i was wondering how the other members posted big pics. The pickups i am using will probably be either Ephiphone or Gibson les paul pickups; depending on how much money i have left
nearly finished a practice neck out of pine. Pictures tomorrow. Oh! and i received the timber pics of that too.
ok so ive been a bit lazy...ok so ive been really lazy :p havent posted on this forum for aaages and ages. but i do have heaps of pictures of the work ive been doing. enjoy

Last edited by country bumpkin at May 30, 2009,
Looking good
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Page 1 of 4