Does anyone know of a pedal that would give me a Malmsteen-ish distortion besides his own (they suck)?

What about a Randy Rhoads distortion?
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ariana Acoustic Guitar
Garcia No. 3 Spanish Guitar
Crate Retro-FX 30 watt
Crate 350 watt Stack
Crate GT3500 250 watt Amp head
Is it your amp that's causing the problem here? He uses vintage Marshalls, and single coil sized humbuckers in his Strats and things, which would help to get his tone. True single coils through a Crate transistor amp wouldn't really cut it.

I think anyways.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Musgician
Does anyone know of a pedal that would give me a Malmsteen-ish distortion besides his own (they suck)?

What about a Randy Rhoads distortion?

Randy used a MXR distortion + obviously the original one's

I think early Malmsteen was either a Boss or a DOD distortion pedal
YJM uses DOD 250. The D+ and the 250 are very similar. I think the D+ has more gain and is nor as bright as the 250/YJM308, but try all three and see what you like.
In both their tones it's the amp that does most of it. Seriously, you won't get it unless you get a new amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Have you actually ever tried the YJM308 or DOD250 pedals that Malmsteen uses? They absolutely do not suck!

Definately one of the best pedals I've tried, although its also the noisiest when not playing.

I'm not too into Rhoads, but i'd say an SD-1 would let you get the Malmsteen sound, and run a treble booster as well.

You NEED a valve amp for the YJM to really shine though.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
Have you actually ever tried the YJM308 or DOD250 pedals that Malmsteen uses? They absolutely do not suck!

Most things sucks through a sucky amp...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by CJRocker
YJM uses DOD 250. The D+ and the 250 are very similar. I think the D+ has more gain and is nor as bright as the 250/YJM308, but try all three and see what you like.

the 250 is the same thing but with a few different components to it.

and TS, sorry, but you're not going to get a Malmsteen tone with a 30 watt Crate. He uses incredibly good amps, and lots of them.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
25 cranked 50w marshalls will get you your yngwie tone
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Thanks guys. And yes, I've tried his pedals. I just don't think it truely captures his sound though. Did Randy use marshalls as well?

P.S. Does my amp really suck that bad? I've always thought it sounded pretty decent. Has a "wet" tone as opposed to the "dry" sound of Marshalls
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ariana Acoustic Guitar
Garcia No. 3 Spanish Guitar
Crate Retro-FX 30 watt
Crate 350 watt Stack
Crate GT3500 250 watt Amp head
Randy used Marshall Plexis, he had them custom built for more gain though
HI
malmteens pedals dont get his distortion, his amp does, his pedals are there for a blow your head off solo boost...
Quote by jackblsdaniels
malmteens pedals dont get his distortion, his amp does, his pedals are there for a blow your head off solo boost...

+1
and yeah, dont worry about pedals, you want his tone, you need to look at a new amp.
so is it a new amp thread now?
budget?