Hey everyone..so I war reading a bunch of different threads about the famous downpicking in this song..well as it happens I learned the song while downpicking first..and lately..well the last month maybe... Ive been playing it with alternate or inside-outside picking..and it`s alot more difficult..but you strain less..and yeah..just today I read that it`s supposed to be downpicked in the first place, for that heavy sound..So any thoughts on this?
Should I develop my alternate picking technique more or just go back to downpicking..cause alternate helps me with songs like Ember to Inferno..well I kinda do it and its easier to keep up with the speed..but I`m still trying to get ahang of it..I can play it only If I`m relaxed and really warmed up(Ember I mean),..xD
you have to develop your alternate picking more,, you will thank me when you are going to play SUPER fast
That;s something alot of guitarists are troubled with, But i think it just depends on the song and you're own playing style you're developing.

I always switch automatically between alternative picking (Economy picking)
And after a while you don't even realise it anymore you just do it.

But yeah if a song like MOP say's it should be downpicking most of the time then i'd do it.
And just do what you like better and whats easyer.
Just to straighten things out, there is no wrong way to play a song. If someone tells you to play a song using only downpicks or only up picks don't listen to that person every again for anything. Just because perhaps James or kirk played that song originally using only downpicks, doesn't mean that's the only way to play it. You would be much better off to keep going with your alternate picking it is a much more usefull skill (down picking is still godd everynow and then), main point is don't ever let someone restrict your playing, you are the Master of your own guitar.

Taking advice from other guitar players is good, but not if it restricts your playing (and you actually take a step back to play it). Oh and I alternate pick it
MOP is down picked, so play it that way

but DEFINATLY develop your alternate picking.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
So I guess for developing your technique it`s better to play MOP while alternating..but if you`re going for the sound, it`s better with downstrokes...Cause it was the same with Ember to Inferno..the intro was hell in the beginning..I was tired just playing 15 seconds of it..but than alternating proved useful..though it has its rough edges..like you automatically skip some notes that were supposed to be played cause its still fast..

EDIT:Nevermind..thx for the advice=)
Last edited by Rokkec at Oct 30, 2008,
i have been trying to play MOP for arnd 2 months arnd......i can play the whole song...and the first solo...i dont think downpicking or alternate should be a problem you shud worry about.....worry abt not straining your arm.....i stil do.....and it messes it up
Straining my arm was sometimes a problem..ermm..mostly..with MOP xD..but now it got alot better and I don`t worry about it at all, cause my muscles developed alot since then
Now it`s just a matter of putting myself to practice for at least 2 hours a day and maybe learn the 2nd solo someday in the near future..haha
So is the 2nd solo that hard or is it just the fact that it looks like that but it`s actually very playable?
Quote by Rokkec
Straining my arm was sometimes a problem..ermm..mostly..with MOP xD..but now it got alot better and I don`t worry about it at all, cause my muscles developed alot since then
Now it`s just a matter of putting myself to practice for at least 2 hours a day and maybe learn the 2nd solo someday in the near future..haha
So is the 2nd solo that hard or is it just the fact that it looks like that but it`s actually very playable?

It's not impossibly hard, but it's not easy. The hardest part is getting a similar sound to that super high note Kirk plays, especially if you don't have a tremolo.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I have a JS 1000 and the tremolo is great..but having a great tremolo still doesn`t mean anything if you don`t know how to use it properly..and I sure don`t..at least yet..
Anyway tnx for your reply
I'm a beginner guitarist, and i'm learning MOP with alt. picking, or else my best-virtuoso-guitarist-friend will eat my living soul.

...sometimes i economy pick though
I find it useful to practice both nowadays..It really does help you a lot to practice both..downpicking it improves your hand stamina..while alternating improves your hand right hand coordination and overall technique
Gear:

Ibanez JS 1000
Ibanez RGA42BK
Ibanez GRG 170 DX

BOSS DD7 Delay
Ibanez DS 7 Distortion
Dunlop Jimy Hendrix Wah

ENGL Fireball
Framus Cobra cab
Roland Cube 30
MOP is some crazy awesome practice for down picking, i don't know if i would play it alternate picking, it would seem a bit like cheating haha. i would say the spider riff would be a good place to practice some alternate picking though, probably not the main riff. just wouldn't be metal \m/
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Much of metalicas stuff is predominantly downpicking. For that chug, but when it does from 1/8 note to 1/16 note then its played in alternate to get that speed. Ive played metallicas stuff both ways and many times all down strokes sounds better. Doesnt mean the world will end if its played in alternate. Alternate picking is a good thing to develop anyways. In time you will be able to switch back and forth with ease.