hey guys im in the market for a tube combo and i was wondering what marshall combo would be best for metal. i was thinkin a jcm 800 but what do yall think? keep im mind that im not trying to break the bank
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Marshall are not the best brand. Look at others. How much do you have to spend?
Quote by Horlicks
Marshall are not the best brand. Look at others. How much do you have to spend?

+1

Only one I have liked for metal is the Kerry King and its not a combo... or cheap
800 is good. you'll need a distortion pedal though. JCM900 works well too, and it's cheaper usually.

Mesa Boogie also makes amps for heavy metal. look into those if you can't decide on a marshall.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
i was also thinking of a peavey 5150/6505, bugera 333xl, or a spider valve. the only reason that i though of marshall is that i had a marshall combo and it was amazing
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by BigRob91
i was also thinking of a peavey 5150/6505, bugera 333xl, or a spider valve. the only reason that i though of marshall is that i had a marshall combo and it was amazing

All of those are good choices. The Peavey being tops on my list, followed by the Bugera.
Go for the Kerry King practice amp... or the Zakk Wylde Mini Stack.

Seriously now.
Budget? And Peavey is your best bet, maybe even Bugera.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
first, marshall isnt the best brand in the world. there are many different brands that you can use. marshall is good for old-school metal like iron maiden, old mettallica, etc. again, the 2204kk is the only marshall amp thats good for extreme highgain metal, and that thing is just a head, and it sure aint cheap.
since your looking at the spider valve, i'll give you a little hint about those things. they're complete crap. trust me. i've tried a multitude of those, and they all sucked. if you really want a line6, look into the toneflex III. only good line6 i've ever played (i've played that, and all the spiders in existence, never liked a single one). sure, the spiders have plenty of gain, but its too much, and way too unwieldy. a marshall with a good od in front of it can become a decent metal amp, but not the best in the world.
the peavey xxx is a great combo for what i like to call 'teenage metal', meaning kids who havent moved beyond the "marshall is the best but i cant afford it but i wanna shred and shit" kinda thing. dont get me wrong, its got great tone, but i've found better.
the 5150/6505 is a good way to go, if thats the tone you want.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
i actually like the tone of the JCM 800s. but for metal i would look else where. its more of 80s rock amp. i also like the JCM900s. i had one for a while during my high school days . the overdrive is pretty decent, but was a bit fizzy in the front end. and the cleans were not that great. got rid of it in 2000 for my 5150 II and dual rect
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Quote by psychokiller99
800 is good. you'll need a distortion pedal though. JCM900 works well too, and it's cheaper usually.

Mesa Boogie also makes amps for heavy metal. look into those if you can't decide on a marshall.

Why do people always think you need a distortion pedal for a JCM800? No you don't. It has plenty of gain by itself.
Quote by al112987
Why do people always think you need a distortion pedal for a JCM800? No you don't. It has plenty of gain by itself.

it has a decent amount of gain...but not for what he wants it for.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

I say get a used Mesa of some sort if you dont just want one metal sound.
Bugera's trump 5150's in flexbility without sacrificing much tone.
THE 6262 would be good if you dont just want one metal sound, or just a sound as rehashed as the 5150.
Quote by AndyRevenge
it has a decent amount of gain...but not for what he wants it for.

Have you tried one?
For my liking my 800 head doesn't have enough gain from itself. I'm boosting it with a modded BOSS SD-1 overdrive, and a MXR 10 band EQ which is really awesome to boost my tone. Ofcourse, using this will need a noise recuction and the iSP Decimator is the best on the market. Be sure to get an overdrive instead of a distortion pedal though.

It can do anything in the lines of Slayer, Morbid Angel, Death, old Sepultura. It has that awesome raw tone and enough gain for that. I prefer this over most high-gain amp really, including the 5150. For my liking the 5150 is too defined, too modern. And people only seem to use those for drop Z tuning.

And to people saying Marshall isn't the best brand out there. You may be right, but a real Marshall is a real Marshall, they have a unique tone. The 800 heads. I quite like the 900 too... with the right gear.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Last edited by BeëlzeM at Oct 30, 2008,
Theres many eras of metal. Going by your avatar, not the right one for an 800. And It depends how you're gonna use it. IMO, 800's sound like carp untill you get to about half way on the volume.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Theres many eras of metal. Going by your avatar, not the right one for an 800. And It depends how you're gonna use it. IMO, 800's sound like carp untill you get to about half way on the volume.

You shouldn't even be buying 100 watt heads if you're using it at bedroomlevels, or anything not after 2 in the first place, or 50 watt heads for that matter. Besides, the 800's are LOUD.
ESP LTD M-400
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Quote by Horlicks
Have you tried one?

yes i have. my dad has 2 JCM800s. the 2203 model. its the 100watt master volume and he has the 1987 standard lead 50 watt. both are non reverb units

there are a few dif models of the JCM800 series. i havent tried all of them. the ones my dad has are great for 80's rock, classic rock and very good for punk...but for modern metal they are not
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
yes i have. my dad has 2 JCM800s. the 2203 model. its the 100watt master volume and he has the 1987 standard lead 50 watt. both are non reverb units

there are a few dif models of the JCM800 series. i havent tried all of them. the ones my dad has are great for 80's rock, classic rock and very good for punk...but for modern metal they are not

Depends on what modern metal means to you. They obviously can't do these how-low-can-I-tune, and how-much-gain-can-you-have type of modern metal.
Slayer still uses 800 heads, with the right gear they absolutely SLAY. I play thrash and death metal, and to be honest, it can do it easily.
ESP LTD M-400
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Well the first Marshalls were in wooden headshells with plexiglass face plates.

I think the JMP 2204 was the first metal Marshall, either that or the JCM 800.

wat?
Quote by BeëlzeM
You shouldn't even be buying 100 watt heads if you're using it at bedroomlevels, or anything not after 2 in the first place, or 50 watt heads for that matter. Besides, the 800's are LOUD.

The only issue with that logic is the fact that 98% of all metal tube amps are high wattage for a reason. So telling him not to get a 50-100 watt amp is pretty much telling him not to go tube or with a metal amp at all. Getting the right amp that performs great at low volumes is the key. 5150's after re-tube are great, Ultra's and Triple's stock are also great because your not trying to get into power tube saturation but you still want something smooth with no fizz at the extremely low volumes.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The only issue with that logic is the fact that 98% of all metal tube amps are high wattage for a reason. So telling him not to get a 50-100 watt amp is pretty much telling him not to go tube or with a metal amp at all. Getting the right amp that performs great at low volumes is the key. 5150's after re-tube are great, Ultra's and Triple's stock are also great because your not trying to get into power tube saturation but you still want something smooth with no fizz at the extremely low volumes.

That's true though yeah... But those are high-wattage for a reason as you said. Gigs, they're high-end gear. But naturally, often gigs come with the time you can actually play and see the use and good tone of a metal tube amp.
ESP LTD M-400
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Quote by BeëlzeM
Depends on what modern metal means to you. They obviously can't do these how-low-can-I-tune, and how-much-gain-can-you-have type of modern metal.
Slayer still uses 800 heads, with the right gear they absolutely SLAY. I play thrash and death metal, and to be honest, it can do it easily.

you are right. i agree with you on that. i play mostly punk rock and a bit of hard rock.
not really a metal guy really. but i do love some Slayer and old thrash metal bands like some Anthrax and stuff. and the amp does GREAT for what i play iwhenever i ever borow his rig when the mood strikes me. mot for that compressed, over saturated tone..look else where

maybe the JCM900 series...it has a bit more gain then the 800s. i had the 2100 SLX 900 head when i was like 17 back in 1995..haha. it could do a bit of metal fairly good as well.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by imgooley
Well the first Marshalls were in wooden headshells with plexiglass face plates.

I think the JMP 2204 was the first metal Marshall, either that or the JCM 800.

wat?

Epic Lolz!!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by darrenjables
Go for the Kerry King practice amp... or the Zakk Wylde Mini Stack.

Seriously now.
Budget? And Peavey is your best bet, maybe even Bugera.

Bugera's are basically the same things as Peavey except nowhere near as durable and minor and I mean MINOR differences on some things from what I understand.

At least with the Bugera6262/XXL

Their peavey identical equivalents are the 5150 and XXX respectively.

Bugera's are cheaper though.

Gettin mine for xmas
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Have fun with the Bugera. Apart from the reliability of them I've heard they're good for the price.
Quote by AndyRevenge

Put some EMGs or other high-output pick-ups in front, it gets pretty br00tal. A Tubescreamer wouldn't go amiss either.
The JCM 800 is a very solid choice as long as it fits your style of playing.

I didn't read the entire thread, but noticed a couple of people are recommending distortion pedals with this amp. You don't want a distortion pedal, you want an overdrive pedal (ie tube screamer, etc.)
Quote by BeëlzeM

Do they absolutely SLAY-YER?

Sorry. That was awful and completely unrelated to what was asked. But i couldnt pass on the oppurtunity for an awful pun.