so yesterday i snapped a string and went to a local shop to get it replaced, and figured i might as well restring the whole thing. my granddad offered to pay for the shop to do it for me to save my time. i kindly agreed and let them do it for me and i picked up the guitar in the morning. they told me that next time i need to change strings they can fix the intonation for an extra £10, they would have done it if the knew it was screwed up a bit. but my intonation was perfect, i tested it a little while ago whilst checking my gutiar. its not sounded bad at all until today where the frets above 12 on the E A and D strings sound horrible and slightly flat, so now i have to get £25 to pay them to fix it somehow, when i done nothing wrong!

could it just be the new strings? can this be an accident or are they purposely trying to take my money? i don't want to put my gutiar in there hands and i haven't got a clue how to fix it by myself

is it possible to fix intonation without a spare set of strings? can somehow explain how i do it if i try it myself?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Do you have a trem system or a fixed bridge?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
yeah, hundreds of intonation vids on youtube, just search: intonation guitar
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Just adjust it you self. Its not that hard. Got a good tuner? Open string to perfect pitch then depress at 12th without bending(very important) and adjust to perfect pitch. Note sharp, lengthen the string. Note flat shorten it. retune after each adjustment back to perfect pitch then check again till its right.
Just set it up. There's hundreds of tutorials on the web, not to mention one here.

And, you take it to a shop to get strings replaced? That really is a scam. That's easy to do aswell.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
they didnt screw up your intonation. intonation is tuning. this will change when you change strings.

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same

any info your guitar, and i'll add specific info for you...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
sorry for late response, its a floyd rose and the only reason i let them do it was because my grandad was paying.

how do i change the length of the string?

You put it in a string stretcher...Just kinding bro.

Look at where the string goes into the string locks at the bridge. There will be a small hex screw just below the string. That block has a slot in it and two holes. Just loosen the string block and slide the block.... Unload the string first. I usually just dive bomb the trem while sliding it, or you could loosen up the string.
You shouldn't have an electric with a Floyd Rose if you don't know how to set it up.

/rant

Anyway, paying a shop to change your strings is a scam. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that a shop can do that you can't do yourself. That's why I set up my guitar and change the strings and all that myself. 25 quid for intonation? That's crazy. Surely you should just learn how to set up a Floyd Rose.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
You shouldn't have an electric with a Floyd Rose if you don't know how to set it up.

/rant

Anyway, paying a shop to change your strings is a scam. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that a shop can do that you can't do yourself. That's why I set up my guitar and change the strings and all that myself. 25 quid for intonation? That's crazy. Surely you should just learn how to set up a Floyd Rose.

Not much of a rant...

But, as said, just look on youtube for a tutorial. It's a great skill to have.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by MustangSVT

/rant

i know how to do it i just figured i could have it done quicker this way - should i not have a hard tail if i don't know how to sort intonation on one of them?

is it possible to sort intonation with the strings on?

Quote by MustangSVT

/rant

It's kinda hard to learn how to set up one until after you have one, and it's obvious that he's tryin to learn how, so that minirant was pointless.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by MustangSVT
As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that a shop can do that you can't do yourself.

I can think of a whole lot of stuff I would have a pro do. For instance I just bought a Warmoth neck for a Jap Strat. The pocket was not deep enough, the FR bridge pins needed to be removed, plugged and redriilled and new pins installed, the frets needed to be leveled, reglued, crowned and polished. The bridge body needed to be rerouted for a different version of FR.

I can setup a guitar just as good as them but I would'nt think of doing that myself.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I can think of a whole lot of stuff I would have a pro do. For instance I just bought a Warmoth neck for a Jap Strat. The pocket was not deep enough, the FR bridge pins needed to be removed, plugged and redriilled and new pins installed, the frets needed to be leveled, reglued, crowned and polished. The bridge body needed to be rerouted for a different version of FR.

I can setup a guitar just as good as them but I would'nt think of doing that myself.

Hm that's fair. I meant like in the way of adjusting intonation, changing action, adding a spring, that sorta thing, general setup stuff. If I was changing the neck on a guitar or I had a neck that needed fretwork (such as crowning), then that's best left for a professional, I totally agree with that. It's not very common though for people to change necks on a bolt-on or to require professional fretwork, at least nowhere near as common as "changing strings".

It's kinda hard to learn how to set up one until after you have one, and it's obvious that he's tryin to learn how, so that minirant was pointless.

Well, I think I meant it in the way that like if you get a Floyd Rose you better learn how to do stuff yourself. If you don't, then it's probably expected that a shop will charge a fair amount of money to do "trivial" things like changing strings (I don't know how hard changing strings on a Floyd Rose is because I don't have one).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by metallicafan616
sorry for late response, its a floyd rose and the only reason i let them do it was because my grandad was paying.

That is ****ed up wasting his money like that.