I have a cheap-ass Squire Strat, and the pickups on it are awful. They buzz honorably when in single coil mode, and the high e string is really quiet.
Without replacing them, is there a way to fix these problems?
Thanks for any help. ;D
Best thing to do is shield the compartment and pickguard. They usually put some shielding on the pickguard but its usually done so they dont have to run ground wires. Shielding and a eliminating ground loops goes a long way.
The high E string could be distance too great from your pickup pole. Try raising the PU a little on that side.
For the noise.......lots of stuff could be involved
A) Miss-wired (leads reversed from PU)
B) Bad grounding in Guitar
C) Lack of shielding in cavities or over PU leads
D) using close top a noise generator like TV or PC monitor
E) Orientation of guitar with repsect to the amp. (a lot of single coils guitar's noise levels change as you rotate your body towards/away from your amp or other noise source) Try moving around a little.
Moving on.....
Raise the pickup height on the treble side of the pickups.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/pickupheight.jpg

As for hum:
1 - Shield your guitar according to the guide on guitarnuts.com. I use stewmac.com for my tape.
2 - Don't play with excessive amounts of gain, or near electronic and fluorescent lights.
3 - Use positions 2 and 4 if you must have lots of gain. These positions are hum canceling.
@gizmodious: No, I don't really like strats all that much, I'd prefer an Ibanze or Schecter; I just thought I'd try and fix my Squire up a little while I save up.

I know It's not my amp or TV or anything, since it does it all the time, even when I'm nowhere near any thing and I use headphone in an effects pedal.
I pretty much always have it in position 2, since there's almost no buzz.
I'll try all the things suggested; I have a feeling it's bad grounding. d=
Thanks for all your help. ^_^
Quote by dark__echoes
@gizmodious: No, I don't really like strats all that much, I'd prefer an Ibanze or Schecter; I just thought I'd try and fix my Squire up a little while I save up.

I know It's not my amp or TV or anything, since it does it all the time, even when I'm nowhere near any thing and I use headphone in an effects pedal.
I pretty much always have it in position 2, since there's almost no buzz.
I'll try all the things suggested; I have a feeling it's bad grounding. d=
Thanks for all your help. ^_^

Schecter rocks, I like some of the high end Ibanez's. I picked a Laguna up the other day and I don't know if it was the strings but **** it was easy as shit to whip out squellies!!! It was like 400, next check!!!! lol

Good to hear you found a solution. the pit rocks!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Good to hear you found a solution. the pit rocks!

'cept this aint the pit.

AndSchecter does indeed rock.
I have a squier bullet and it had the exact same problem. What I did was, I took the pick guard off and flipped the middle pick-up over. It seemed to fix the problem for now while I'm waiting on my new guitar. As far as the buzzes go, For me I had the action to low. I raised the strings and tuned the 12th harmonic. Right now, it's working well (for a bullet) but I always have it on the second position.