So I bought a new guitar on ebay, a shecter with coil-tapping and upgraded pups. Since I don't exactly feel good about owning a shecter, even though I like the feel of the guitar and the versatility of the electronics, I'm going to do something to make it my own. I have two options, one of which has two options in itself. I'm just asking what other people think, mainly because the guitar hasn't arrived yet so I can't be playing it.

Option 1: painting a design
I would just be using spray model paint, probably, or something that'll stick to plastic. I don't really care if it scratches off. I did a lot of thinking, and I think an animal would look cool. Since the guitar is orange, though, I'm kind of limited in animals... there are like ten orange animals I can think of. Here are some mock-ups with the picture from the schecter website

Option 2: vinyl pickguard
I have an idea to cut a pickguard out of a 12" lp and put it on, but the main problem here is that the guitar is curved on the top. I know vinyl can be heated to the point where it melts, and conceivably I could get it to that point and mold it onto the top of the guitar, but I have a feeling that this would be bad for the wood.

Any other ideas?
The pickguard idea would be fine as long as you did not for it to your guitar while it was hot without some sort of barrier to protect the wood.
Hmm, what kind of barrier do you think would work? I'm afraid of the wood warping or expanding or something because of heat, but I'm not actually sure that would happen anyway.
just curious about why you don't feel good about owning a schecter?

also i'm loving that fox design it really compliments the flame
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
They're just like a "metal" brand in pretty much everyone's conception. I mean I'd rather have a fender, gibson, or gretsch, preferably vintage, but since I was trying to save money I figured I'd have to compromise somehow, and instead of compromising in quality I decided to compromise on cred. Obviously I like some of their instruments, or I wouldn't have bought one, it's just that appearance, including choice of gear, is actually pretty important in trying to find an audience with certain kinds of music.
Quote by drewsta42
Since I don't exactly feel good about owning a shecter, even though I like the feel of the guitar and the versatility of the electronics, I'm going to do something to make it my own.
Quote by drewsta42
They're just like a "metal" brand in pretty much everyone's conception. I mean I'd rather have a fender, gibson, or gretsch, preferably vintage, but since I was trying to save money I figured I'd have to compromise somehow, and instead of compromising in quality I decided to compromise on cred. Obviously I like some of their instruments, or I wouldn't have bought one, it's just that appearance, including choice of gear, is actually pretty important in trying to find an audience with certain kinds of music.
rly? i disagree.

nothing wrong with wanting to make a guitar "your own" by personalizing it. but honestly, doing that solely based on the association of schecters with metal is a bit childish.

i think the music you make with a guitar has far more impact than the look of the guitar itself.

albert king played a V.
no one would ever mistake him for anything but a most accomplished bluesman.

i can't imagine a vinyl pickguard doing anything cosmetically other than hiding some beautiful wood. i suppose you could. but really, why would you?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew: I agree, it should be about the music. You'll notice, though, that I mentioned how OTHER people will respond to it, which is something I've learned from experience to note. But it'd look sweet painted, anyway, so even if I was the only person in consideration I'd do it because I've always wanted to try it, and this is the first time I've bought an instrument used rather than new without any intention of upgrading very soon.

As for the pickguard, I think it's going to be a lot of work and wouldn't really look good anyway... I haven't come up with a decent shape yet, and the LP idea wouldn't work because it'd cover up the pup selection switch and knobs, which are right below the bridge pup.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone! Anyone else can feel free to make suggestions or comments, still.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
albert king played a V.
no one would ever mistake him for anything but a most accomplished bluesman.

And the dude from Slipknot played a Telecaster. A TELECASTER!

(I dislike Slipknot, btw.)
Quote by Invader Jim
And the dude from Slipknot played a Telecaster. A TELECASTER!

(I dislike Slipknot, btw.)

Really? I bet it has EMGs in it haha. I can't imagine anyone in that band -- or that scene, really -- playing a guitar with normal pickups. Either way, that's kind of cool... teles are way better looking IMO than those weird spiky "metal" designs kids are always swinging around at guitar center.
Quote by drewsta42
Really? I bet it has EMGs in it haha. I can't imagine anyone in that band -- or that scene, really -- playing a guitar with normal pickups. Either way, that's kind of cool... teles are way better looking IMO than those weird spiky "metal" designs kids are always swinging around at guitar center.
emg's? absolutely. and no tone control.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0134444780
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Beat me to it... yea it does have emgs in it and i also disagree about changing a beautiful guitar like that just because schecter is a metal guitar. Personally i feel something like a C1 classic is very well suited to mellow music (idk what schecter this is)
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Kolanski, I'm painting it because I've always been interested in painting a guitar and I think it'll look good. This is a C-1 Plus, by the way, which has a selection option for both humbuckers (my usual setting) in addition to the coil tap, and doesn't have that vine of life inlay. It's cheaper than the classic, but they're pretty similar.
hmm well then I'm stumped because painting a guitar is pretty enjoyable... Id say go with the fox then. Its unique and pretty sexy
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
painting, eh? this is one direction you might go with paint...

skip the pickguard, of course.
way different body style, but gold might look nice on the Schecter.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Gold-top schecter, huh? That's a new one... Might look sweet though.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing a strip/sand/refinish, just spraying a little design on it. I only have an 8x12 dorm room to work with in terms of space, and I'm going to keep the budget around $20. Just sprucing it up.
why not a Tiger? would show off the stripes in the flamed maple
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I thought about a tiger. Seemed kinda obvious, though, and I don't really have much affinity with the animal. Other animals considered, just for a laugh:

Brachiosaurus (neck going up onto the upper horn)
Bird in flight
Utahraptor
Squid (also on upper horn)
Plesiosaur
the IWW "sabcat"
Quote by drewsta42
I thought about a tiger. Seemed kinda obvious, though, and I don't really have much affinity with the animal. Other animals considered, just for a laugh:

Brachiosaurus (neck going up onto the upper horn)

Bird in flight
Utahraptor
Squid (also on upper horn)
Plesiosaur
the IWW "sabcat"

This please. then pics
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Despite being a classic rocker/blueser, I have an Ibanez JS100. I'm not complaining. Quite the contrary.

Anyway. First thought I had was "Tiger."
But, of all the ideas presented here, I like the pickguard best. Actually, I'm going to put a LP style bracketed pickguard on mine when I can. But for you and your controls, I like the idea of sticking one on. It may seem like a lot of bother, but I imagine it would look great. And, I don't think painting something would remove any metal connotations.

And, an octopus? WHY IN THE NAME OF THE LORD?
I did up a new brachiosaurus because the other one kinda sucked. Here it is, I kinda think it looks sweet, but it also looks like a bitch to stencil

And here's my new idea with the fox... I was worried my arm would wear off the paint on the old placement so I moved it where less rubbing will occur

And RockPig, what's wrong with the octopus? I think it looks really cool... they're one of my favorite animals.
Actually the more I think about it I like the brachiosaurus bones maybe the best. Anyone else want to chime in?
I still like the fox cuz it looks like he sayin "take a seat B****" to that mouse
Quote by Dr. House
Quote by drewsta42

And RockPig, what's wrong with the octopus? I think it looks really cool... they're one of my favorite animals.

Fair enough. But could you see Jimmy Page with an octopus on his Les Paul?

I'm not knocking it - I'm just opinionated.
Why couldn't he have one? Was Led Zeppelin rocking against octopuses or something?
Quote by drewsta42
Actually the more I think about it I like the brachiosaurus bones maybe the best. Anyone else want to chime in?

brachiosaurus bones

... with the mouse running up his tail

... and the fox pawing at the mouse
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Get yourself some white candle wax.

Put some on a plate and when it is set, draw in it, down to the plate with a hot pin.

Now get some strong, liquid bleach, like they use to clean toilets (or not if you are a student).

Put some on the wax.

If it doesn't melt the wax, smear melted wax on your guitar where you want the design.

Draw the design on with a hot pin etc.

Apply bleech.

Leave it.

When you remove the wax, the bleech may have put the design into the clear coat.

It may not, depends on what you use.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
brachiosaurus bones

... with the mouse running up his tail

... and the fox pawing at the mouse

Haha it looks pretty ridiculous. I don't think so. I'm guessing you were kidding anyway
Quote by drewsta42
Why couldn't he have one? Was Led Zeppelin rocking against octopuses or something?

+500 and a sig.

And to show how great that remark was, I'll concede that the octopus looks fine.
Quote by drewsta42
Haha it looks pretty ridiculous.
wonderfully ridiculous.

Quote by drewsta42
I don't think so.

Quote by drewsta42
I'm guessing you were kidding anyway
nuh-uh!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411