Okay guys, I have the most awesome opportunity to start a prog metal band with three other guys. I've searched for hours on end, and this is the first time something like this has happened to me.

BUT; all the other guys appear to be heavy drinkers and smokers, despite being my age (15). With me being pretty much straight edge, I'm slightly worried I'm simply not going to be able to mix with these guys and I'll just end up leaving.

I really want to be int his band, but I just can't help feeling it's all gonna go horribly wrong...

Help?
Just get on with them, if they liked Heroin would you start taking it to fit in?
Be yourself and not a sheeeeep.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
just because someone drinks or smokes doesn't mean they're only capable of interacting with people who do the same, it would be a good idea to at least give 'em a try for a new experience. just don't let them make you do anything you're not good to do
This is how the world ends.
sid barret did insaine amounts of drugs while other members contained themselves, and look how well they did

look at a lot of sucessfull bands, there are some in the band that do and some that dont - like mentioned above - dont be a sheep

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
heavy drinkers and smokers at the age of 15? ...
betya they can drink 4 beers in a row... wow

but anywayz....
I don't see where smoking is an issue, I used to smoke (quitted for a whole 2 years in a row now, hooray) and I didn't have a problem with people not smoking + I would've never talked someone into smoking (and not give some smokes when they ask for them)

alcohol...
might be an issue, if they are really heavy drinkers (which I doubt, they're probably trying to look tough) theres no way you should start a band with them, nothing is worse then a drunk bandmember when you wanna start your show (one in my band vomited on the stage once, then he fell asleep backstage :s)

just decide for yourself, try a session or three with them, maybe they turn out fine.
Quote by numinis
alcohol...
might be an issue, if they are really heavy drinkers (which I doubt, they're probably trying to look tough) theres no way you should start a band with them, nothing is worse then a drunk bandmember when you wanna start your show (one in my band vomited on the stage once, then he fell asleep backstage :s)

The smoking part I suppose I don't mind that much, but what you mentioned there is exactly what I'm worried about. I mean it ain't normal to drink a whole bottle of whisky to yourself every day, is it? And I've read so many stories about band just basically falling apart due to one or two idiots being constantly drukn

For the third time in my life, I honestly have absolutely no idea as to what to do.