Page 1 of 3
As we all know, it's very important to remember that, when you're playing live, stage presence is just as important as what you're playing.

But there are plenty of different approaches to this. How do you find yourself on stage? Moreover, do you find you emulating (consciously or subconsciously) your favorite bassist?

I really get into it when I'm playing, so I'm not totally sure what I look like all the time. I know that a lot of times I pull out some freakout Flea-like moves... and occasionally some Mafia-caliber coolness like Robert DeLeo.

You?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I do the stereotypical bassist thing. I stand right next to the drums and I pretty much stay in one spot the whole time bobbing my head to the music.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
i have fairly long hair so i do some serious headbanging but the hair usually ends up in my mouth haha
also apperently when i play open strings i drop my arm to my side....also i quite like pushing the bottom of my guitar so it pretty much goes above my head and let is swing back done, depends if im trusting my strap that night or not
I'm all over the place and putting my all into it, and I'm in a shoegaze band! If you just stand there near the drums, you're doing it wrong.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm all over the place and putting my all into it, and I'm in a shoegaze band! If you just stand there near the drums, you're doing it wrong.

I know I am doing it wrong:P I just like to put my all into my playing since the other two guitar players are very skilled and are always running around the stage.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
I tend to hop around and have fun. Running to the drummer, farting, and running back is a classic move because he can't escape

For slower tunes, I'm a little less liberal.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by BassRichardson
I know I am doing it wrong:P I just like to put my all into my playing since the other two guitar players are very skilled and are always running around the stage.

Which is why I practice both
Quote by Aidy Damage

Well... though I do tend to agree with you...

Take Stefan Lessard. He really doesn't move all that much when he plays. He is kinda a headbobber. But it seems to fit him... and also the fact that DMB is a 6-piece (if including Tim Reynolds) might add to that.

Yeah, I guess if you're in a 3- or 4-piece, headbobbing might be sort of detracting.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by Aidy Damage
Which is why I practice both

Touche
Quote by amitbob21

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Head bang and pace around. I can't really run and play.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I move around a bit, but rarely very vigorously. I let my bandmates go mental around me so i can be the relaxed one, it's pretty fun .
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
on our gig last friday i met this drunk dude who told us why the hell do bassists always get a chick after the show...

he said it's cause all they do is play those 4 tones or whatever and they have enough time to make some eye contacts and so on lol

i actually lol'd at this, because our bassist really gets a chick after every show
so i guess that's the way our bassist acts onstage
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by mountaindew88
I tend to hop around and have fun. Running to the drummer, farting, and running back is a classic move because he can't escape

For slower tunes, I'm a little less liberal.

that is awesome!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I kinda have the Jeff Ament stance going on when I'm playing something regular, depends on the intensity of the song. If its a slow song I tend to pace around a lot. Overall I think I walk the fine line between looking stupid because you're stagnant and looking stupid because you're running around like an idiot.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I tend to be one of those quirky movement types, like Mic Todd. Add OTT facial expressions and cxheesy double team moves with whichever guitarist is on my side of the vocalist, and.... SCORE!

Im with del on the facial expressions and cheese.

I try to smile a lot cause I figure, if you look like you're having fun, the crowd will think so too.

As for other stage movements, depends how big the stage is - I've played stages 60x25feet and stages 12x12feet. Full drum kit, 4 microphones, synth, two guitarists and me. That was a cosy gig!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I run about as far as my 12' cable lets me... then back.
I wish i had a wireless....

UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Serjem
on our gig last friday i met this drunk dude who told us why the hell do bassists always get a chick after the show...

he said it's cause all they do is play those 4 tones or whatever and they have enough time to make some eye contacts and so on lol

i actually lol'd at this, because our bassist really gets a chick after every show
so i guess that's the way our bassist acts onstage

I'm remembering that for when I get a gig.
I'm not sure, but I can't imitate my favourite bassist that much, my shoes and shirt stay on at all times.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
I'm not sure, but I can't imitate my favourite bassist that much, my shoes and shirt stay on at all times.

The Flea?
I run around, headbang, jump off stuff. and then for stuff that requires a lot of me singing or heavy pedal use then I stay at the mic stand/pedalboard in a power stance.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by herby190
The Flea?

Nah, Justin Chancellor.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I told this story before, but when I really get into playing, esp. blues I look like Duck Dunn: alot of odd head and upper body movement. If you go about 1:03 into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuKJeH-t84

I move like that--like I've drank way too much coffee to sit still. The sad thing is that I thought I always stayed stock still until someone took video at a workshop once.
I've only played for less than two weeks, so I obviously haven't done a gig, but when I'm in my room playing, I just kind of bob up and down; if I try to, on a rhythmic line, I can move pretty well without it hurting my playing too much, but my room is pretty small, so it's kinda a bad idea...
Quote by anarkee
I told this story before, but when I really get into playing, esp. blues I look like Duck Dunn: alot of odd head and upper body movement. If you go about 1:03 into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuKJeH-t84

I move like that--like I've drank way too much coffee to sit still. The sad thing is that I thought I always stayed stock still until someone took video at a workshop once.

ahh i thought that was gonna be a video of anarkee doing weird thins while playing. im disappointed....

well for me on stage it depends on the song im ethier really in the groove or
a-running and a-stomping around like Claypool when hes not singing.
Quote by slap-a-bass
i wear stupid costumes

next gig im going to dress as a scientist..with a beard net and hair net and goggles

No way.

My signature costume back in the day was my labcoat that I had for Chemistry Lab. I had oodles of people sign it (mostly classmates and bandmates and affiliates). I wore my goggles to go with it.

I looked pretty bad-a to be honest, with my long hair and manly facial hair. Yeah... that was fun.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I move around like the bassist for the band I always sing the praises of. This video is a pretty good indication of how I move. I do the head-bob thing a lot more, though.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by WhyLater
No way.

My signature costume back in the day was my labcoat that I had for Chemistry Lab. I had oodles of people sign it (mostly classmates and bandmates and affiliates). I wore my goggles to go with it.

I looked pretty bad-a to be honest, with my long hair and manly facial hair. Yeah... that was fun.

hahahah dude thats a good idea..would you be mad at me if i went and had everyone sign it?
I'm normally pretty active, I have a nice sturdy strap and strap-locks so I'm not shy about throwing my Fury around. I headbang and bob and all that cool stuff, too. Only I dislocated my patella (knee cap) and tore my ACL during one of our shows a week and a half ago, jumping off of a drum platform, and we've played two since then, so I haven't been anywhere near as rambunctious as normal. I can still stand up and be in my "metal pose" and headbang, but that's about it. There's two videos on my band's myspace post-injury, and I'm not very proud of them. Also I damaged my Peavey Fury when I fell :/

I'm having arthroscopic knee surgery to repair it next week, so I have at least a month and a half of crutches to look foward, so I'm going to have to play quite a few sitting down after that.
When you're 'blessed' with a frame like mine, stage presence pretty much comes with the territory. People will stand and stare at me even if I was perfectly still and in a dark corner. I know this because in high school drama class there was this one time I was a guard standing perfectly still in a dark corner and the teacher scrapped my part because I was too distracting. However, the fact that I sing rather passionately while playing and manning a pedalboard, the mere fact that I do all these things counts as movement enough. You can't move around too much when you're parked at a mic stand with a pedalboard. However, if I do end up donning a kilt and sunglasses, there's absolutely no stopping me. People would stand and watch if I played the spoons - if not moreso.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz... you would have my undivided attention during a spoon solo. That is my promise to you.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I'm very big compared to my other band members, i'm 14, just turned a few days back, and i'm 6FT and 112 kilos, i also have a mohawk and wear collars cuffs, spikes jackets and tripp pants, i haqs a future as a bouncer
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
Eh, when my band plays out I look a bit like the guitarists from The Dillinger Escape Plan having an epileptic fit. It's more important to look good live than it is to sound good, that's my creed.
My band and I move as we expect the crowd to do!
Although personally I rip off Arif Mirabdolbaghi's moves no end
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by Bumper
Eh, when my band plays out I look a bit like the guitarists from The Dillinger Escape Plan having an epileptic fit. It's more important to look good live than it is to sound good, that's my creed.

sadly, this is normally the case. it's not a solo unless you're on your knees having a seizure.

with jam sessions, I tend to do some bizarre movements- I once ruined a jam by making the drummer burst out laughing upon seeng that I had been eating the bottom horn of my Ibanez, and headbanging at the same time. while still effectively using 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' as a bass part.

I have to tone it down now.

when I play for my church, I am considerably less animated. I sit on a stool, smile, and bob my head to the rhythm. I doubt the congregation would take so kindly to a sudden bout of duckwalking.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My band has the bad habit of shoe-gazing (well, guitar-gazing) and nobbing heads.

Someone once told me I have this famous triangle movement with my head (looking at crowd, looking at right hand movement, looking at left hand, looking at crowd again).

It's a serious issue .
Quote by reesy
i have fairly long hair so i do some serious headbanging but the hair usually ends up in my mouth haha
also apperently when i play open strings i drop my arm to my side....also i quite like pushing the bottom of my guitar so it pretty much goes above my head and let is swing back done, depends if im trusting my strap that night or not

Rofl same, gets annoyin to
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by thefitz
When you're 'blessed' with a frame like mine, stage presence pretty much comes with the territory. People will stand and stare at me even if I was perfectly still and in a dark corner. I know this because in high school drama class there was this one time I was a guard standing perfectly still in a dark corner and the teacher scrapped my part because I was too distracting. However, the fact that I sing rather passionately while playing and manning a pedalboard, the mere fact that I do all these things counts as movement enough. You can't move around too much when you're parked at a mic stand with a pedalboard. However, if I do end up donning a kilt and sunglasses, there's absolutely no stopping me. People would stand and watch if I played the spoons - if not moreso.

did you get a different part instead?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Page 1 of 3