Ok, I have it down to two Strats, a Fender MIM Standard Strat: (Invalid img), or a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat: (Invalid img). I have about $400, and will be used for Surf. Thanks guys,
Khaled.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
A Classic Vibe would be more vintage correct for surf and things, but on the other hand, you can always mod the Fender.

I, myself, would actually try these guitars out, see which one you like more. But, if you can't I'd get the Squier, since those ones are ace guitars anyways. Not to mention play really nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I was definitely getting the Squier, but somebody told me his son's Squier had bad hardware. I know they both have C necks, which I find comfortable, I've used the Fender, and it was pretty good.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Squier plus a trem block upgrade (which isn't more than $60-GFS does it for $20).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Squier plus a trem block upgrade (which isn't more than $60-GFS does it for $20).

Would that be easy to do? I was thinking of buying one of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Vintage-Strat-Tremolo-Arm-100303299-i1130086.gc, would this fit?
Quote by chip46
why not just buy one with the block? Both GFS and Callaham sell ones that work with their blocks...

It's not too hard to do. take off the bridge, remove the saddles, unscrew the big screws at the bottom, remove the block, put the new bridge block on, screw it in, reattach trem, re place saddles, restring.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
why not just buy one with the block? Both GFS and Callaham sell ones that work with their blocks...

Oh, I didn't know they came with them. Would most tremolo arms fit?
Quote by chip46
it has to be the correct threading. The GFS blocks only work with 10-32 threaded arms, which they sell.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Punk Guitarist
The MIM. Squiers are a big no no.

Bandwagon much? I've been told the Squier is better than the MIM.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Bandwagon much? I've been told the Squier is better than the MIM.

Depends on the Squier actually. 80's Squiers are said to to be poor mans MIAs. Even some of the High end Squiers are good but in general i would still opt for the Mexican.
Ahh, second opinions?
Quote by chip46
Nah, The MIM isn't THAT much better, it's not worth the $100 extra.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Ok, Squier it is.
Quote by chip46
I realized selling my gear could rake in some cash, I may buy the Jimmie Vaughan Strat.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I realized selling my gear could rake in some cash, I may buy the Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

That wouldn't be too good for surf music; it's designed for southern blues.

Get yourself a Classic Player 50s Strat (which I have, good guitar, can play surf aswell as tons of other genres. If any of you were wondering why I was playing surf, it's because I heard some on SpongeBob and I HAD to play it) or a Classic Series 50s one.

They're pretty much the highest end of the MIMs, so they're the same quality, and you don't have to pay loyalties, which makes it cheaper.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 30, 2008,
My friend on SurfGuitar101 told me they could, I will try them though.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
My friend on SurfGuitar101 told me they could, I will try them though.

Meh, well, I've played one, I've played many a Strat, and it CAN do it, but I find that there are guitars that do it better.

But play them, it's a good idea, and make a judgement then. You might prefer the Jimmie Vaughn one, but chances are, the Classic Player or Classic Series would be better.
Cam Sampbell's my hero